1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Focal IS 165TOY installed

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by CoolPrius, Nov 4, 2017.

1. CoolPrius

CoolPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Installed these plug and play component speakers in the Prius today. It isn't advertised as a direct fit with 4th gen but after looking at pictures online I rolled the dice. Also added some Sonic Barrier from Parts Express to the doors. Sound quality has improved (nothing mind blowing but seems more detailed). The tweeter mount holes don't line up exactly so I cut away the edges of the Focal mount. Might redo it with a custom plastic (or ebay) mount in the future but it's so light I don't expect any issues. The kit comes with the appropriate connectors for the factory speaker. The door speakers are all plug and play, Focal even provides the rivets. So if you are looking for a speaker upgrade to use with factory connectors and mounting points check these out.

timothevs and RCO like this.
  2. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you, but personally I don't need to have hi-fi sounds all the time. At home or the theatre/theater is enough. I hate when people have their sounds cranked up and their windows down so that nobody is excluded from their entertainment. That said, others will appreciate your pioneering trial. Thanks again! :)

#2 RCO, Nov 5, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    CoolPrius and Prodigyplace like this.
  3. CoolPrius

CoolPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Wanted to update everyone on the speakers. Replacing the OEM fuller range speaker with the Focal tweeter resulted in higher highs but less mid punch. You had to crank up the volume louder and it still seemed like the vocals were lacking. Maybe an external amplifier would have solved this issue but I didn't want to install one. So I switched back to the OEM dash speaker and sure enough, it sounded better in my opinion. Turns out the dash speakers are pretty major component of the factory system. I still had the urge to get a littler more clarity and mid punch, not to mention just fiddle around with something new. I found these Pioneer TS-A878 3.5 inch 2 way speakers for $35 and figured why not give them a shot.

Here are some highlights:
    1. Increased sound at the same volume setting. More clarity and mid punch.
    2. Fits in factory mounting holes
    3. No trimming of the factory speaker cover necessary
    4. I had the Focal dash speaker adapter but I believe you can use the tacotunes adapter (see image below) to create truly plug-and-play option
    5. The Pioneer has a capacitor (50v 4.7uF) similar to the OEM (50v 5.6uF) speaker. No pops or other odd noises observed when the unit is off or switching sources.
    If I had to do it all over I would have stuck with 1) Sound deadening and 2) these speakers. Call it a day and enjoy.

I accidently pulled one of the pins out of the Focal connector below so I highlighted what it looked like. It just connects to two wires together.

timothevs, SFO and KilgoreTrout like this.