1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fog and Driving Lights

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by PA Prius, Dec 15, 2015.

1. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    On the Advanced, are the fog lights on the outside corners and the driving lights in the lower grill? And the Base only has the fog lights, right? Are both the fogs and the driving lights decent, and not like the wimpy fogs on my '04?

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The foglights are in the lower air dam similar to the Gen 2. The outside corner lights are actually Daytime Running Lights. The DRLs are very bright. The foglights are about the same as the Gen 2.

sfv41901 and PA Prius like this.
  3. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks. My understanding of Daytime Running Lights is that they are on all the time the car is on, but I don't see those lights on when I see Gen 3's on the road, or am I missing something here? I was thinking driving lights are additional bright lights that can be used at night when there is not oncoming traffic. When are these DRL's used? Sorry to hear that the fogs are similar to the Gen 2.

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The DRLs are on during daytime operation (headlights off) only if set up to be on.

To further complicate matters, not all Gen 3 Prii were equipped with LED DRLs. 2010 and 2011 vehicles are not, whereas the 2012+ facelifted models are.

PA Prius likes this.
  5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As xliderider mentioned, they're only available on Gen 3.5 models (2012-2015) and there is a DRL-OFF position on the headlight stalk IIRC so there is the option to turn it off.

For reference, 2010-2011 models look like xliderider's avatar. The foglights are below the turn signals at the corner. There are no DRLs (Canadian models use the reduced power high beams as DRLs)

PA Prius likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Here's the fog lights on our 2010:

image.jpeg
    But they are really ineffectual; you have to turn them on/off several times to confirm they're actually throwing some light. Maybe on pitch black road they'd be some use.

PA Prius likes this.
  7. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Or, turn the fogs on and off when facing a wall at about 20 to 30 feet. Glare (light) from the foglights present above the lowbeam cutoffs when the foglights are on. :(

Mendel Leisk and PA Prius like this.
  8. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    OP, get these and replace your oem foglights with them, they are pretty much driving lights. I've got a pair on my Camry and they're great:

Projector Fog lights (BOLT ON) finally! | PriusChat

There are good output shots in the first post that show they have a nice cutoff and throw light out well without causing undue glare to other drivers.

#8 xliderider, Dec 16, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
    sfv41901, frodoz737 and PA Prius like this.
  9. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    This is helpful, thanks all. I'm looking for a PIP, so I don't intend to replace the fogs on my '04.