1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fog Lamps Are Useless

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Grzldvt, Nov 29, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Aww Christ sakes look up that brand on Amazon and for Citroen c3 2002 up thru 2012 these are 3.5 in in diameter so there are 1/2 in larger than what comes on the Prius The same company in their store on Amazon also have a 3-in more regular type of fog light that would probably be more of a direct fit and require no plastic trimming or machining and would be about like what you have which is why I suggested maybe some upgraded bulbs 6K or yellow fog and the switch to put the light on when you desire not when the switch of the car says or is turned.

2. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Any chance you could post a link to the very ones you used in your 2nd generation Prius.

Tombukt2 likes this.
  3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    In my second generation Prius the loaded up touring type thing that I have I have only put in the high output LED bulbs and wired those two fog lights to a switch that fits in the original square holes right there near where your dimmer switch is for the dash so by pushing a button I can turn the fog lights on even if the key fob is not near the car just by pushing the button on the dash the fog lights come on push the button again and they go off turn on the lights and the fog lights do nothing with the light switch that came with the car that in itself made a huge difference in how those little round lights look function and produce light I could put yellow there and that would be more true color for fog lighting I predominantly use mine for daytime running lights if you will actually I rarely put on the headlights now I usually just run the fog lights everywhere because I'm in town all the time if I'm out at night and all the city lights and everything else I almost don't need any lights.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So I have not changed out the fog lights in my generation too I'm thinking of adding the fog lights that I'm talking about from Amazon from the company everybody's talking about here to one or two of my other cars I do believe the factory grills for said headlights there's enough room for me to cut out the three and a half three and a quarter or so It's a little look right shouldn't be a problem at all actually.

5. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Whoops. For some reason when you replied I thought you were the user that said they'd done the Siemid replacement (post #3) but that was a different user. Hopefully they will see the post and respond.

6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The thing is all of those brand of lights are the new specification LED fog lights they're all 3.5 to 3.74 in diameter what's in the Prius is right at 3-in maybe 3 and 1/8 or it might be three and a quarter and the bezel the plastic part of the grill knocks it down to 3 in so therefore any of these from this maker are going to be a little larger and you're going to have to do a little bit of fab work I think to the grill black piece like take a quarter inch out of the round so an 8-in per side or whatever how you look at it. And then the mounting holes and what's on the bracketry for the assembly should be able to rotate and mount pretty easily actually if you seen the fog light with the grill cover off and how it mounts into the plastic part of the bumper not really much to it You could actually get almost 5 and 1/4 in there if you really wanted to but then you have to probably 3D print a grill. This same maker that we're talking about here if you look on their site they make traditional but with LED in the 3-in size that would be more or less a direct fit so there's always that but they don't have the wide angle and the high cut off and all of that of the new ones that I sent in the first reference this is what they're known for and they go on Jeeps citrons personally I would try some nice bright I think it's h3 bulbs in your existing housing in the color Kelvin of your choice I usually use 6K so all the headlights and the fog lights match or yellow in the fogs if I'm in Europe because that's what they'll make you do. And of course add the switch so you have full control of those fog lights independently of the stock headlamps and you should be good to go and that'll cost you almost nothing

7. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Ordered this:

They were the one Siemid model that has a two part housing with a smaller main unit that pivots with the adjustment in an exterior plastic housing. It looks like it should be removable. Also, if you look at the exterior photos, there's quite a bit of space within the plastic housing. I plan to remove it and design a new housing that will more easily fit in the bumper recess. I may also need to redesign and print out, in PETG matt black, a replacement grill insert to make more room for the slightly larger diameter of the light housing. Looks like it might not actually have to come out any further, but this on is 95mm in diameter vs the stock circular bumper recess is already 100 mm wide, so the amount of modification may be minimal. It might even be possible to design a part that fits in that recess without cutting any of the factory bumper.

8. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    BTW, no matter what I do when I paste the amazon link the forum breaks it part and calls it amazon media and then inserts just the product id in which doesn't work. Why can't I just post a URL that it doesn't modify????

9. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I can't even upload a screen shot. Any time I pick a jpg to upload, it just says there's an error. The forum has really decayed over the years. The title/description is this which will be the first search result on Amazon
    "SIEMID New Generation Led Fog Lights Lamp Retrofit and Upgraded For Jeep Wrangler Grand Cherokee Renegade Dodge Journey Charger Magnum 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013"

10. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Okay so for the lamps for the Jeep if you look in the text you'll see the Jeep lamps are 3.74 in diameter The ones for the Citroen are only 3.54 in so they're a little smaller these are the ones that I was trying to show you was the ones for the French car same company all of that also on Amazon just made for the French car and others it's the same style light and all of that is just the smallest I think that they make this type of light in with the 130° wide-angle beam the sharp cut off so on and so forth they do make smaller lamps but they're more traditional housing without the wide angle and the sharp cut off I guess which I can actually do without I'm okay with the stock units with the bright bulbs in the color for fog or 6K works well for me 25 years ago when I was modding cars and all the nonsense I would opt for the ones you're getting ready to fool with now and as far as I can tell they'll go into the car no problem The grill issue and trim maybe something you have to trim with your multi-tool or your Dremel or print a nicer one or something along those lines but with the three and a half versus the 3.7 you can almost just stick the Toyota grill over that you're not losing I don't even know 2/10 of an inch or something whatever it is but not very much so in a pinch that might could work you'll have to see when you actually put the lights in the holes and have all that worked out.

sorka likes this.
  11. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Got the lights. They're all plastic and kind of cheap feeling but they're bright with sharp cutoff beam on one of them. The other one has some sort of issue where it's got a yellow band fuzzing out the sharp cutoff. Some sort of focus/prism issue. Going to order another set and hope to get one good one out of each set and then send the rest back. The are identical i.e. no left vs right. They pull just over 10 watts each.

I was able to trim out the original fog housing in the bumper on the drivers side which provided enough room to mount a 3d printed housing that the Siemid pops into. The housing is secured with a large push tab on the side and a 10 mm bolt on the front. The bolt is low profile and hidden under the fog grill cover insert entirely.

The edge of the lens of the fog is about 1/3rd inch further back than the factory fog because diameter is a larger, but it's more rounded outward so the center of the lens is actually at about the same location as the factory. Doesn't seem to interfere at all with the light output. Might design a fog grill cover that allows a larger fog circumference so I can push it completely flat. That said, the other side which I haven't done yet is not actually fully flush with the grill insert.

12. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So you're using the 3.7-in lamps versus the 3.2 if I'm not mistaken Is this correct so maybe the 3.2 will go in a little better I don't know I'm getting ready to add fogs to one of these cars and I'll figure out what I'm going to put in there here shortly I just got the bumper cover off and up on the trailer or I can work on it I took out the plastic covers so I can see the housings and now I need to see what I can get to fit in there well I think I'm going to keep them around 6K and run them as daytime running lights and then of course is extra running lights at night.

13. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I'm not aware of any of the 90mm Seimids that would fit given they are constructed with the 4 mounting tabs as part of the housing. It would require cutting them off which would be an issue for warranty exchanges. I'm not hopeful that these are going to last years and fully expect to have to swap them out a lot.

14. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    There are two sizes that I know of We went through this before I don't know what you ordered something for an American truck and I think or an SUV and they were 3.7 in remember I sent that to you in a post? And then the ones for the French car were only 3.2 in so that's a bit of difference I realize they all have the four tabs and I will trim them and they will replace them when they go bad regardless of whether I've trimmed the tabs off they're going into the trash usually what they require you to do is cut the cord off with the number tag on it send them a picture of that and then they send you out a new assembly or whatever it is they're doing so you don't like these and these are kind of crappy good to know.

15. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Something I might consider. The other problem is there's no good way to attach the 3.2s after you cut the tabs. The 3.7s has pivots that fit into an external housing. I replaced that housing with my own design that fits the light unit the same way so I have the full vertical adjustability. I think it would be less effort just to design a new grill insert that fits the 3.7s and then print that.

I'll post pictures when I get back from my trip tomorrow.

16. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I'd like to post pictures but it appears uploading photos is now busted. I can't even add photos to an album anymore or upload a file in the post without getting a "There was a problem uploading your file." error.

17. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
  18. sylvaing

sylvaing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I upload photos to imgur.com and post a link. The link is auto expanded to its image like this

Plus it allows me to use the image somewhere elses.

19. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

20. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    The last site I used was free until it wasn't. As a result, I have 1000+ broken links in old posts. I'm not going back to that. imgur is free now but probably won't always be. That's the direction all these sites are going.