1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fog Light Behavior When Using Automatic High Beam Mode

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by davecook89t, Sep 25, 2017.

1. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I like the look of fog lights on a car (probably due to not having owned a car with fog lights for much of my life). I never considered buying anything but the Touring version when I was shopping for a new Prius, even though I realize (as has been covered here in another thread) that the lights do little to improve visibility even in conditions (fog) for which they were designed to be used.

Now I read in the manual (page 253) that "Fog lights can be used when: The headlights are on in low beam." I had been leaving the fog light switch in the "On" position all the time, but now I'm wondering, do they really switch off when the high beams come on, particularly when in Automatic High Beam mode, since in that mode the high beams can switch on and off multiple times within a short period of time? If the fog lights do switch on and off as the high beams switch off and on, would this cause either the bulbs or circuits to burn out prematurely? For now I've been leaving my fog light switch in the "Off" position, but then what's the point of having them? Do I need to stop using the Automatic High Beam mode if I want to use my fog lights?

2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Fog lights in REAL fog would be useless if they were on with High Beam - they preferably should be on with the Parking/Side lights only, but possibly with low beam might just possibly be OK. You don't want a beam shining upwards at all or it will reflect back from the fog making you effectively blind. REAL fog lights shine a narrow, low beam UNDER the fog.

That said, most new cars with so-called Fog Lamps - are decorative, and hopeless in Fog. I tried mine on a foggy mountain road, and low beam was more effective.

And driving with them continually is illegal, and annoying to other drivers because they don't have a focused beam, shining in their eyes, and potentially causing a crash!!!

RCO and davecook89t like this.
  3. davecook89t

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Wow, I never considered the possibility that driving with them continually is illegal. I wonder if that is really true in North America. I see plenty of people who do seem to have them on in all kinds of conditions, and in fact, on my 2007 Prius they come on automatically with my headlights. I'm not sure that was always the case. I recently had to replace one of the fog light bulbs that had burned out, and since then I've noticed they are on all the time, the fog light switch appears to do nothing. (Since I don't have DRLs on the 2007, and since the headlights turn off automaticalIy when the car powers down, I leave my headlight switch in the on position.)

Can anyone else comment on whether it is illegal in North America to drive with fog lights when there is no fog?

4. mariposer

mariposer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Revised Code of Washington (RCW)

Spot lamps and auxiliary lamps.

(1) Spot lamps. Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two spot lamps and every lighted spot lamp shall be so aimed and used that no part of the high intensity portion of the beam will strike the windshield, or any windows, mirror, or occupant of another vehicle in use.
    (2) Fog lamps. Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two fog lamps mounted on the front at a height of not less than twelve inches nor more than thirty inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands and so aimed that when the vehicle is not loaded none of the high intensity portion of the light to the left of the center of the vehicle shall at a distance of twenty-five feet ahead project higher than a level of four inches below the level of the center of the lamp from which it comes. Lighted fog lamps meeting the above requirements may be used with lower head lamp beams as specified in RCW 46.37.220.

5. Ferrarilover

Ferrarilover Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It illegal to use them when there is more than 1/2 mile visibility according to google.
    Here in the UK it is also illegal to use fog lights when it’s not foggy.

iPhone ?

kithmo, RCO and davecook89t like this.
  6. davecook89t

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Good to know. I assume the Prius would meet the requirements. Now if only I knew whether they do switch off and on again each time the high beams go on and off and will this cause premature burn-out.

7. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You should be able to test. Turn on low beams and fog lights. Verify the fog lights are on. Turn off auto high beam and turn on high beams. Check the fog lights.

davecook89t likes this.
  8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    By law, they go off with the high beams so yes using Auto High Beam will switch them off as the high beams come on.

It's illegal in other countries but there are no such regulations in North America. Most foglights in non-European vehicles here in North America are pretty useless.

davecook89t likes this.
  9. davecook89t

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I was pretty sure they would turn off, if I manually turned on the high beams. Testing whether they turn on and off with auto high beams was a little harder to test, involving standing outside the car on a highway in the dark and watching how they behave as the high beams go on and off with approaching cars. I haven't tried that. I guess I might consider changing the sensitivity of the light meter controlling the auto high beams, or stop using them altogether, because I've noticed they will toggle on and off several times in a few seconds as cars approach and then pass by. That can't be very good for the headlights themselves, never mind the fog lights. It's nice to know the car has that kind of technology, but actually using it might be a bit of overkill.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In the Gen 4 Prius, it's simply a shade that moves up/down to operate low or high beams. Your light output is the same (which explains why it's so bright in low beam). See image.

Left is low beam, right is high beam.

upload_2017-9-25_21-48-50.png

KV55, davecook89t and RCO like this.
  11. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd be surprised if they comply with the "and so aimed that when the vehicle is not loaded none of the high intensity portion of the light to the left of the center of the vehicle shall at a distance of twenty-five feet ahead project higher than a level of four inches below the level of the center of the lamp from which it comes." Almost no FogLights comply - they just "spray" the beam quite randomly and glaringly. Unlike my 1974 VOLVO Foglamps (and other cars of the era) which had a very well defined beam which shone downwards (and only worked with headlights OFF.

davecook89t and RCO like this.
  12. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    But so many bankers do!

kithmo and Ferrarilover like this.
  13. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A UK joke, I assume?

kithmo and RCO like this.
  14. davecook89t

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thanks for the info. So rather than having the high beams turned on and off electronically, there is actually a moving part that does the job? That makes me even less comfortable about letting the auto high beam unit take control, knowing that if I were in control I would be toggling them off and on much less frequently.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  15. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I only use auto high beams when on backroads where there may be deer or other wildlife lurking. On highways I turn the high beams off because they are not really needed and auto high beams would switch too frequently, dazzling oncoming drives until the software senses them.

16. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here is an interesting tip from the 2016 manual.

upload_2017-9-26_9-9-36.png

davecook89t likes this.
  17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Here it's illegal to have fog lights without low beams. Guess it varies around the world.

We have the 3rd gen fogs, Have pretty much forgotten they're there. Never use them now. When new I tried switching them on/off a few times, and found it near impossible to see a difference.

Just a thought for those without fogs: if you don't like the flat black blanks and want the fog light look, I'd consider installing an aftermarket fog, and not even bothering to wire it up, purely for the look. Like a clip-on tie...

Our daughter's Pilot also has fogs, and they are much more effective. I ride shared with a guy in the '80's with a Supra, and it's fogs were very effective too. A wide fanning, but down low, not glaring beam.

alanclarkeau, RCO and davecook89t like this.
  18. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Fog Lights would be most effective if they were the only forward lights on the car. Sadly in the US, you can't buy fog lights not tied to the low beams, so effective fog lights are always an add on/modification here.

Automotive lighting - Wikipedia

#18 JimboPalmer, Sep 26, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    alanclarkeau, RCO and davecook89t like this.
  19. davecook89t

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thanks for pointing that out. I had seen it and when I talked about changing the sensitivity of the light meter, I was thinking of using that procedure.

It's interesting to me that this kind of "cheat" is written right into the manual. It's the type of knowledge that might be used to gain an advantage in a video game, say, but would not normally be disseminated to everyone. It kind of makes me think it was added into the manual as an afterthought, especially since it appears it was not properly edited (in 4, "indicator is turn on and off 3 times")

20. davecook89t

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I actually still have an '89 Supra that I take out occasionally. I was a long time member of the Supras group on Yahoo, and I remember one of the most popular mods that people were doing to those cars was to re-wire the fog lights, so they could be turned on independantly of the headlights.

Mendel Leisk and alanclarkeau like this.