1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

FOG LIGHT INDICATOR

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Priusmpg, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Priusmpg

Priusmpg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hello all,
    I know many people have retrofitted their cars with fig lights, after market, or original. Some of those many would like the indicator on their dash board to also illuminate when their fog lights are installed. I am not yet aware of any solution to this, if there is one please let me know.

I have plugged in the my Snap-on SOLUS Ultra, and have been able to perform an actuator test that toggles the FACTORY relay in EVERY prius for the fog light, the fog light indicator illuminates. This means, there is a factory relay already in the car for the fog light weather equipped with them or not.

I have tried to track down which wire or relay pin I would have to supply power or ground to illuminate it on command, so far, I've been unsuccessful. Fortunately, I just got my hands on every wiring diagram for the Prius. I'm going to upload them for now and if any one can make any sense of it let me know, I will also personally try to understand it and do some trails on monday.
    Fog_Driving Lamp _Diagrams, Electrical-page-001.jpg Fog_Driving Lamp _Diagrams, Electrical-page-002.jpg Fog_Driving Lamp _Diagrams, Electrical-page-003.jpg Fog_Driving Lamp _Diagrams, Electrical-page-004.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I don't remember which Toyota model it was for, but I recently found fog light installation instructions that showed attaching wires in the fog light kit to pins on the back of the instrument cluster to enable the fog light indicator in the cluster. I don't remember if I saved the document or a link to it but I will look for it when I get on my PC at home.

I found the instructions while searching for a way to enable an indicator in the cluster for a rear fog light I installed on our Prius v. On closer inspection with a flashlight, I found that the instrument cluster for the U.S. specification Prius v does not have a rear fog light indicator - only a blank space where the rear fog light indicator is located in the cluster of the EU spec Prius+.

I was surprised that the instructions I found showed pulling the cluster to enable the front fog light indicator - seems like a lot of trouble.

Most Toyota and aftermarket front fog light kits come with a dash mounted switch that has a pilot light that lights up when the fog lights are on. I ended up using a front fog light switch like that for the rear fog light on our Prius v.

If a fog light switch with a build-in indicator light isn't being used, it should be easy enough to wire a separate pilot light into the fog light circuit and perhaps install it in a switch blank if one if available. I would have done that in our Prius v but the switch I used for the rear fog light fit into the last unused switch location. I found a variety of small inexpensive 12V pilot lights that would work well for this type of application on eBay or Amazon.

3. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I don't remember if this was the information I found a few weeks ago, but here is a thread on a Toyota FJ Cruiser forum about installing an LED in the instrument cluster that lights up when front fog lights are on: FOG LIGHT INDICATOR LIGHT IN DASH: Inst. w/pics - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum

The same concept might work on a Prius except it might be a little easier since there "should" already be an LED for front fog lights in the instrument cluster. Of course it would be better to find wires leading to the fog light indicator in the cluster and use those - maybe pulling the cluster and tracing the fog light indicator circuit might lead to the wires.