1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fog Light Wiring

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Mainer, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Mainer

Mainer Mainer

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I am looking for help with fog lights. I made the stupid mistake of purchasing a fog light kit on Ebay because of the pricing. The kit was market with the Toyota part number 53102-47020 which indicates it's a Grille Sub-Assy. The package contained a wiring kit which is not close to the any normal kit shown on any of Auer's installation videos and no instructions for installing the kit. The wiring kit does not contain the parts listed in either of Auer's videos.

This kit contains:
    1. A wiring harness from the two fog lights with a black wire (with a split ring connector, ground?) coming off the harness, to a relay and fuse container and a red wire (with ring connector) coming off the harness, and another wire, yellow (with bullet male connector) also coming off the harness.
    2. The other cable has a green plug (goes to on/off switch) and a black wire (split ring connector), a yellow wire (with female bullet connector) and a bare red wire with a tag with Lgnition printed on it.
    There is one splicing red connector, the type that goes over a wire and the other side of the connector gets a wire pushed into it and then crimped.
    3. A long red wire with male and female bullet connectors on each end.

I contacted the seller I purchased from and was told that the kit contained everything and they purchased the entire kit from a Toyota dealer. I have been unable to find any wiring/installation information anywhere.

Is there anyone who has information about wiring/installation? I sure could use the help!

TIA
    Mainer

2. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Hello Mainer,

I know it may be a hassle, but if you could post some photos, it would go a long way for us all helping you.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The black wire is indeed a ground. The red wire connects to your battery, or in the Prius, an open positive terminal in the engine fuse box. The yellow wire is connected to the yellow wire from the other harness with the switch. Normally you have to push this wire through the firewall to the switch which is mounted in the dashboard.

Ground the black wire. The yellow wire connects to the yellow wire from the other harness. The red wire is connected to a fuse or wire that is only energized when the car is in Ready mode (ignition On), or in a standard installation, it is connected to a wire that is energized only when the lowbeam headlights are on. . The red crimp connector is for the red wire, but may not be used depending on how you connect your red wire to get power.

I'm not sure about this red wire, your description doesn't really include any wire or connector that this would be used for.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#3 xliderider, Aug 26, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  4. Starbrand

Starbrand Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had the same ebay kit you had. I dissected it, rewired it, and just ended up getting a set of Rav4 fogs that had a harness that looked like the ones from this blog: DIY: How to add aftermarket OEM-style fog lights to a 2012 3rd gen Toyota Prius Two, Three or Four (non-Five models); complete retrofit installation guide with wiring diagram | Balancing Act
    Here's the harness we got from our ebay version
    [​IMG]

I removed the tubing (wire conduit), redid some of the connections, and hung it in my classroom to quadruple check my work
    [​IMG]

here's my drawing of what it should be
    [​IMG]

making the snip and running the wire through the grommet is by far the hardest part in the entire process.
    [​IMG]

however, the ebay fogs had the WORST housings. one broke from a rock I assume, and the other ones developed condensation everyday so it was obviously not sealed.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

so ended up getting morimoto projectors, which in the end, what I wanted to do eventually anyways.
    [​IMG]

So in short... I got the RAV4 fog kit which had a harness that looked exactly like the one from that blog linked above, and followed his steps almost exactly (I grounded mine to top right bolt by inverter instead) I threw out the Rav4 bezels and kept the clear housings it came with as backups
    [​IMG]

Got Yellow LED bulbs because I till wanted a Yellow output.
    [​IMG]

And it all seems it turned out well so far :) hope to add a light bar soon
    [​IMG]

NORMAL POPS, plusaf and Montgomery like this.