1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fog Lights: Install [Retrofit] fog lights on 2010 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Prius_in_Paradise, Jun 2, 2009.

?
  1. Yes - Would like Fog Lights that are not available with my Prius configuration.

78.9%
  2. No - I do not care about Fog Lights.

2.6%
  3. No - But I do not like the rubber "blanks" in the front bumper where the fog lights would be.

14.6%
  4. N/A - My Prius is configuration V [1229] and comes with fog lights.

6.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hawkmoon77

hawkmoon77 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's a weird thing not to be available. Any word on why not or when it will be available? All of the other pins seem to be available.

By the way, is the presser sleeve really necessary? What is it used for? Can't I just solder the wire to the pin and slide the pin in the harness?

2. rachaelseven

rachaelseven New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well the pin itself is obviously being made - they're in the car, after all. But so far, it doesn't show up in the parts catalogs. It might well be possible to order, knowing the part number, but I have only tried online and haven't actually gone to the parts desk yet.

As for the sleeve, I don't know. That part does show up on parts.com and is only like $1.89 or something like that, so I was just going to order it and see. I suspect it is either a misnamed seal or some sort of pusher-inner thing. But honestly, I really don't know as there is no further information available about it on TIS that I've been able to find.

3. jayvee

jayvee Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My dealer said he needed to order the pin from Japan. (Not sure exactly "how").

He said he had hundreds of the sleeves.

1 person likes this.
  4. hawkmoon77

hawkmoon77 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I found this link:

[ame="http://www.scribd.com/doc/11192307/Toyota-Wire-Harness-Repair"]Toyota Wire Harness Repair@@AMEPARAM@@/docinfo/11192307?access_key=key-108ybcu0mwgc4xrw7zec@@AMEPARAM@@11192307@@AMEPARAM@@key-108ybcu0mwgc4xrw7zec[/ame]

5. rachaelseven

rachaelseven New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Document not coming up... don't know if it's just me, but I cannot see it. Sure would like to though :)

6. Jim Calvert

Jim Calvert New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What is so special about these "pins" provided by Toyota? Radio Shack, for example, sells a variety of pin inserts for various connectors, both male and female.

If any of you have one, take it to Radio Shack and see if it is identical to one of theirs. Then post the result here. That could be very helpful.

7. rachaelseven

rachaelseven New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Every connector series uses unique pins that are rarely interchangeable and it is highly unlikely you would find a generic that made reliable connection. But here's the picture if you want to spend a few hours searching the local electronics store for a 50 cent terminal.

[​IMG]

8. hawkmoon77

hawkmoon77 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    ...that Toyota charges about 8 to 12 bucks for. I suspect it is because they sell the whole replacement kit.

If I can't get that terminal timely, I'm going to use the relay that comes with the fog light kit, wire it to 12V+ and run the ground from the relay through the firewall, and connect it directly to the wire attached to pin 27 of connector L7 by the ECU (whose other end is at pin 4 of connector L47 by the headlight stalk). This way I won't have to remove the main body ecu. I don't see the advantage of using the Toyota circuit if it is going to be a hassle.

9. rachaelseven

rachaelseven New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I like that approach, particularly if it is easier to physically access L7 than it is to get to the junction box. Plus, you have the advantage of being able to run fogs without headlights. And then you have the disadvantage of not having fogs turn off automatically with the headlights or when high beams are active. Decisions, decisions.

10. hawkmoon77

hawkmoon77 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My parts shipped! Well, everything except for one of the fog light covers (not due until mid Sept.). I should be able to make some progress on this in the week following their arrival.

11. rachaelseven

rachaelseven New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Mine shipped today too! And they claim I'm getting both covers. We'll see *fingers crossed*

12. Mt View

Mt View Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well I bought the kit at the link above and the switch is significantly bigger than the knock outs in my prius. Don't know if the lamps fit but the switch is what I really needed and I'm pretty bumbed. Has anyone bought a kit where the switch does fit?

13. Jim Calvert

Jim Calvert New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It would not surprise me at all to find an IDENTICAL pin at Radio Shack or one of the larger electronic distributors such as Mouser Electronics.

Thanks for the drawing. I'll try to use it for comparison - but if someone in this forum has one of the Toyota pins, it would be helpful for all of us if they would take it to Radio Shack and see if RS has them. Worth a shot, and it should only take a few minutes.

14. radioprius1

radioprius1 Climate Conspirisist

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I got the eBay kit and the switch does not fit.

15. jayvee

jayvee Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I ordered the Yaris kit posted by tjp74. His original ebay link is expired, but I used a link to the same supplier and same "parts" photo (which you have to look at carefully, because there are lots of these on ebay with a different switch.):

Yaris 06 07 Liftback OEM Style Foglights Fog Lights:eBay Motors (item 360182342539 end time Sep-01-09 12:14:16 PDT)

I ordered these because of the great photos posted by tjp74 in post #146 (thanks tjp74!) - the switch appears to fit very well in his photos (albeit a little darker than the factory plastic.)

I should receive them today and will post whether the switch I get fits. Still waiting for the OEM covers from autopartspeople.

16. jayvee

jayvee Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Also note that tjp74 did not order the kit that was referenced in the "quote" posted by Mt View above. That kit was one he found that was cheaper, but has a different switch style, according to the ebay photo.

The kit that tjp74 actually ordered is in post # 108.

17. Mt View

Mt View Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I realized that after the fact that the kit in that post was for a Camry and the one tjp74 ordered was for a Yaris. I misunderstood that it was an equivilent kit just cheaper.

18. radioprius1

radioprius1 Climate Conspirisist

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I made the same mistake. The fog lights look the same but the Camry kit fog light switch will not fit (just FYI for anyone reading this)

19. jayvee

jayvee Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    1 person likes this.
  20. hawkmoon77

hawkmoon77 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well SH*t that's the one I ordered. I needed that extra switch. It just arrived today and it doesn't fit. Ugghh.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.