1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fog Lights: Install [Retrofit] fog lights on 2010 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Prius_in_Paradise, Jun 2, 2009.

?
  1. Yes - Would like Fog Lights that are not available with my Prius configuration.

78.9%
  2. No - I do not care about Fog Lights.

2.6%
  3. No - But I do not like the rubber "blanks" in the front bumper where the fog lights would be.

14.6%
  4. N/A - My Prius is configuration V [1229] and comes with fog lights.

6.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tjp74

tjp74 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Oh so with proper stalk switch, foglamp indicator doesn't light up? That makes me feel better :D

Ok ok. sorry.
    Here are some pictures and quick and dirty electrical diagram of my install.

I passed 3 wires through the firewall. 1 to supply 12v to the relay, 1 from the headlight to the relay to trigger the relay so that foglight only works when main beam is on and off when high beam is turned on. Just like package V does. and 1 from relay back to foglights to supply power.

I ran the left foglight to right fogligh wire over the front airdam but didn't have to remove it. Only thing I had to remove is the gravel shields left and right. Very easy with flat and philips screw drivers. Foglight cover is installed with 1 10mm bolt each side and light assembly mounts on the foglight cover/braket. I had to use coule of generic screws for that.

Attached Files:

10 people like this.
  2. kawita

kawita Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So that's what the orange light looks like, thanks tjp74. Did someone say you could get the switch in blue as well?

3. jayvee

jayvee Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I bought this kit too - Before I decided to use the stalk switch, I thought about changing the color. It just has a standard incandescent bulb inside, which glows yellowish-orange. You could probably get a 12V red or green bulb from Radio Shack that might fit - it's tiny, though. Here are some that definitely would fit:

Colored Micro Mini Bulbs: Miniatronics

I'm sure you could find others online.

If you wanted to get really creative, you could probably replace the lamp with a high-output LED of green, blue, white, red... Problem is, you'd have to use a very small LED (T-1 size or smaller), and you'd also need to add a resistor in line with the LED. After experimenting with this switch and a few LEDs, I decided on the stalk switch anyway.

1 person likes this.
  4. Jim Calvert

Jim Calvert New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What is the Toyota part number for the 2010 Prius stalk (U.S. version) that includes the foglight switch?

Thanks.

5. rachaelseven

rachaelseven New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    84140-47130

6. hawkmoon77

hawkmoon77 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, after some adjustment, I am happy witht he lights. the bulbs that came with the kit are a bit on the yellow side, (esp. becasue I have HID headlights), but I'm okay with it. I'm not sure what to do with the old blanks. I hate throwing them away, but I don't really have a use for them.

7. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    what is the toyota part number for the 2010 prius stalk (Canada Version) that includes the foglight switch and the auto head light switch.

8. rachaelseven

rachaelseven New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    From the auto headlight thread:

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii.../64812-automatic-headlights-3.html#post953788

9. rachaelseven

rachaelseven New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Fwiw, the terminal to get power off the factory relay, P/N 82998-24350, is now available from parts.com if you look it up as a Lexus part. So with that piece of the puzzle solved, it appears you can now have an OEM level installation, with the only non-factory bit being the single power lead run through the firewall.

For the benefit of those coming late to the thread, the entire parts list for the full OEM approach appears to be:

--
    81482-47020 - cover fog lamp L/H
    81481-47020 - cover fog lamp R/H
    93567-A5014 - screw, qty 2 reqd.
    --
    84140-47130 - stalk switch w/fog lamps, w/o auto lights
    82998-24350 - terminal, 2C pin 8 (Lexus part number currently)
    --
    81210-0D041 - fog lamp, R/H
    81220-0D041 - fog lamp, L/H
    82998-12430 - terminal, CA1 pin 1
    90980-09152 - terminal packing
    82113-47020 - engine compartment harness
    --

You will also need a suitable piece of wire to run the lead from the interior junction box (connector 2C) to connector CA1 in the engine compartment, as well as miscellaneous butt connectors, wire ties, etc.

For those wanting less than a 100% OEM install, two levels of reduction are available:

1. To use the factory stalk but save some money with aftermarket lights, remove the final five items from the list and purchase an aftermarket fog lamp kit designed for the 2007-2009 Camry or 2006-2008 Yaris. Use the harness in the kit and attach to connector 2C at the junction box.

2. To skip the factory stalk as well, some of the aftermarket fog lamp kits will have a switch which fits in the 4-switch cluster (choose brand of kit carefully). Using that switch and the relay included in the kit would negate the need for all but the first three factory parts listed. And the screws could of course be purchased locally, so you really only need the covers and the kit.

5 people like this.
  10. radioprius1

radioprius1 Climate Conspirisist

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    (Thank you R-7)

And 3. If your country, etc, allows you to have fog lights on whenever you want, you can wire a relay from the headlights to turn on the foglights automatically. This eliminates the need to cross the firewall or install any sort of switch in the cockpit. The foglights automatically come on anytime the headlights are on. In this case you only need to purchase the first two parts listed (fog light covers) and the Camry/Yaris fog light kit.

11. Bambam650

Bambam650 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you very much R7, you're the best!

Now can someone please confirm the correct fog light kit to purchase from Ebay that has the correct size switch that fits into the blank on the dash?

Thanks everyone.

12. jayvee

jayvee Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Here you go!

Yaris 06 07 Liftback OEM Style Foglights Fog Lights:eBay Motors (item 360188555793 end time Sep-21-09 12:26:13 PDT)

Looks like the seller is posting them in "lots" of 5, so if this particular link is expired (sold out), look for another '06-07 Yaris kit from the same seller with the exact same photo. That's what I did when I saw tjp74's link was expired.

13. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    do you think that we will eventually find the Gen III lights kits like this soon enough on ebay?

14. jayvee

jayvee Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, the gate is the Gen III-specific plastic "surrounds" (covers). How quick can an aftermarket supplier copy and market them? My guess from the poll for this thread would be that there's a lot of money to be made on them - but I'd guess it's maybe 3-4 months out, at least.

My concern would be the quality and fit of an aftermarket cover - it may not be finished as nicely as the Toyota version - but there's lots of quality aftermarket stuff out there, so with the right manufacturer......

15. Jim Calvert

Jim Calvert New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am in the process of installing foglights in my 2010 Prius III, using the Yaris 06 07 Liftback OEM Style Foglight kit.

Included in this post are 9 photos of the kit that I took this morning. Hopefully they will help others who may be considering the purchase of this kit. I added labels to some of the photos to point out some of the components.

In the harness that contains the fuse holder and relay are two connectors that have me confused. I added a question mark pointing to those two connectors in the photo showing that harness.

UPDATE: I figured out what they are for and re-labeled the photo. One connects to 12 volts to supply power to the foglights (brown connector with white conductor, probably 14 gage), and plugs into the Prius fuse box. The other connects to 12 volts to supply power to the orange indicator light on the dash mounted on/off switch (gray connector with red conductor, probably 18 gage) - plus it provides the coil voltage for the relay, through the switch. (small current draw). Thanks Jayvee.

Jim

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. Mt View

Mt View Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If I remember correctly one is 12 volt and one is ground. The larger guage wire is the 12 volt.

17. jayvee

jayvee Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sorry, that's not correct.

I bought this kit, but I didn't end up using the harness. I felt that the wire gauges (18ga max, I believe) were inadequate for 15A fusing - but I'm 99% confident what I describe below is correct.

The red wire with the gray connector goes to +12V Ignition (switched). This line is to provide the coil voltage for the relay, through the switch. (small current draw)

The heavy white wire (with the brown connector) is for +12V for the lights themselves. This has the inline 15A fuse. This should go to whatever circuit is supplying the full current for the fog lamps themselves. It provides the high current that is switched to the heavy red lead by the relay.

The black with with the brass split ring terminal is the ground for the switch/relay. (there is another similar black ground terminal on the lamp harness)

I will verify this info on my unused harness when I get home - and update the post if it's not correct.

Update: This is confirmed correct.

18. pro101

pro101 The best car, is no car.

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've also just gotten a IV and would like to combine sunroof and LED/fog lights. Heck, if there is a plastic cap where the lights should be and the car is the same, it can't be _that_ hard to add. Am asking my dealer to look into this. Has anyone had any chance upgrading?

19. jayvee

jayvee Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Not sure what exactly you mean by "combine sunroof and LED/fog lights". Those would be three separate mods. Could you please clarify what you mean?

This thread covers (in extensive detail) several ways to add the fog lights - all of them involve at least some factory OEM parts, namely the plastic "surrounds" (Toyota calls them fog light "covers") that go around the fog lamps and replace the plastic inserts.

I would suggest working your way backwards in the thread, so that you can quickly cover the various installation methods. Lots of good info in this thread.

20. ALS

ALS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What I can't figure out is why dealers haven't jumped on this with their own Fog light kits. We have more than a few dealer employees on this board. Dealers can push crappy over priced under coating, and tire damage warranties yet none of them are smart enough to put together a Prius Fog light kit. What we're not smart enough sell it to their customers as a dealer installed accessory? :rolleyes:

This could be a quick $100 plus profit job at any dealer.
    Cost to the dealer would be $150 in parts, $30 labor and charge $300 installed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.