1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fog Lights: Install [Retrofit] fog lights on 2010 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Prius_in_Paradise, Jun 2, 2009.

?
  1. Yes - Would like Fog Lights that are not available with my Prius configuration.

78.9%
  2. No - I do not care about Fog Lights.

2.6%
  3. No - But I do not like the rubber "blanks" in the front bumper where the fog lights would be.

14.6%
  4. N/A - My Prius is configuration V [1229] and comes with fog lights.

6.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deltron3030

deltron3030 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Will someone who's posted on page 1 of this thread please edit their post to include the basic info?

"if you'd like to add fog lights on a 2010 prius here are your choices
    X. if you want to go X method, you need to buy these parts from this place.....

Y. if you want to go Y method, you need to buy these parts from this place.....

Z. if you want to go Z method, you need to buy these parts from this place.....

and finally here's how to wire it:
    on with lights:.........
    on with parking lights:..........
    on via switch:...................
    "

its a lot of work, but maybe someone on here wants it bad enough to do the legwork?

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This post must be part of the 95% fluff.? Well you can always write up a document on the proceedure and post it like others have done here (oil change). I plan on doing the mod within a couple of weeks and if you haven't completed the document, I will.

3. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you - please do - it will help many... I will do it at some point,

OBTW - if that post means you really follow through - then it means it fits into the 5% - not 95%...:rolleyes:

Thank you in advance!!!!

4. Jim Calvert

Jim Calvert New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sorry about the bad fit. Exactly what parts did you use? My installation had no gaps at all and had no visible clips. I used the Yaris kit sold on Ebay (Yaris 06 07 Liftback OEM style Foglights), along with the LH and RH OEM covers from parts.com (p/n 81482-47020 and p/n 81481-47020).

Jim

5. hptsang

hptsang Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am using the exact same thing. The Gap I got is from the OEM covers. Did you take out that signal light on the top and put them in at the same time or just take out the grey cover and put the OEM covers with the fog light?

6. radioprius1

radioprius1 Climate Conspirisist

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It is indeed installation error. I only removed he grey cover and then put the OEM covers with the fog light. I never touched the turn signals.

7. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The mod is going pretty well considering. The fog covers and lights installed easily in about 1/2 hour including the light wiring harness. No gaps between the turn signal and the fog covers. They look so much better than the inserts!
    Spent about 3 more hours getting wires though the firewall. Need to put the dash back together and zip tie everything up.

8. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Don't know where your gap is, but note that a tab on the turn signal housing fits into a slot on the foglight housing. If this gets missed, you'll
    have a gap between the two lights. Also, make sure the turn signal wiring is out of the way - it can end up interfering with the fog light housing and preventing it from completely snapping into the bumper.

9. hptsang

hptsang Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Took me about 1 hr to put the lights on, spend about 1 hr put the stalk on the and spend around 2 hrs to wire it up (China brand Yaris light comes on and off because of the lose wires).

10. deltron3030

deltron3030 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is it an absolute must to remove the dash in order to install foglights?

11. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Depends I guess. I don't think anyone has had to take the entire dash off yet. I just had to take off the left side of the dash where the ECU is and the blanks to hold the switch (mirror adjust/dash light dimmer). That was straight forward.

I just finished off the wiring and all seems to work great. I now need to find the instructions on aiming the lights.

12. deltron3030

deltron3030 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    how are all of you setting up the functionality of your foglights?

-independent on/off switch?
    -new stalk?
    -existing stalk (on with lowbeams)?
    -switch and existing stalk (on and off switch, but only when lowbeams are on)?
    -some othe configuration?

13. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Very simply... I used the wiring harness that came with the Yaris knockoff fogs. It came with a simple switch that I replaced one of the blanks on the left side of the dash with. I tapped into a brown wire (#18 of 36, +12v) @ the ECU which is the parking lights trigger. That runs to the switch and that runs to the relay that came with the lights. So that means the fogs can only come on when the parking and or head lights are on. With the switch I can turn them off at anytime. The switch is luminated. I did not touch the stalk at all.
    Does this answer your questions?
    [​IMG]

14. deltron3030

deltron3030 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    yep, thanks!

-Also to anyone looking for a "factory fit/finish" look and functionality, please look up hawkmoon77's posts in this thread. He has very detailed photo step-by-steps of what he did.

**worth noting, he didn't need any special tools to remove the steering wheel, nor any additional relays etc.... just the yaris lights, oem surrounds, oem stalk, and a few feet of buy-it-yourself wiring. reading this thread over again, it almost seems "easier" (though not cheaper) to do the whole thing with the stalk switch, tapped into the ecu.

15. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yup, thanks Hawkmoon! I don't think I would have attempted the mod without his exceptional step by step instructions! Plus all the others that have contributed much supporting information!

16. Jim Calvert

Jim Calvert New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just took out the grey covers. There is no need to mess with the signal lights, and doing so could cause foglight fit problems.

Jim

17. deltron3030

deltron3030 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    **doubly worth noting, following Jayvee's automatic headlight step-by-step shows that for a very small to zero additional cost (how much more does the canadian fog/auto headlight stalk cost anyhow?) you can do the auto headlight/fog lights install simultaneously.

-for me this is kind of a selling point. While I am hesitant about disassembling my dash, I will say that the cost of the fog light mod put me off. but for nearly no additional money, I can do daytime running lights as well? Now its an attractive price for a clean solution. Still scared of taking my dash apart though....

18. Jim Calvert

Jim Calvert New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No. There are many ways to wire the foglights.

If you want to purchase and mount the foglight stem switch on the steering column to turn on the foglights, then you will be making the installation ala OEM - and you will need to get inside the dash.

However, there are many other ways to turn on and power the foglights. I never had to get inside the dash at all. My installation uses a dash mounted switch, with power obtained from a 12 volt source inside the engine compartment fuse box. This allows my foglights to be turned on at anytime, independently of all other lights.

My method, and many others, are described in great detail within this thread.

Jim

19. codybigdog123

codybigdog123 Got Mad and Left in a Tizzy

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Jim et. al.,

Can you mention where your fog lamp installation instructions begin (post #)?

One of the problems that many people who are just now reading the fog lamp thread is - There is an overload of intertwined posts from multiple people trying to do different installations. It's nearly impossible to follow. While I appreciate that many people have provided a LOT of valuable information, for most of us, it's useless because the thread is sooooo long, and has so many different ways/contributors. I wish the moderator, or those posting had simply started a unique thread for EACH method, or poster. For example, your method would have it's own thread with your instructions. That way, it would be much easier for most of us to follow, and to pick one method, etc.

Not trying to be critical, but I've looked at this thread multiple times, and each time i do, get more confused. Thanks. :(

20. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Give me one more day and I will have a document ready. It will cover a basic installation. Advanced alternatives like adding an OEM stalk will have to be added later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.