1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fog Lights: Install [Retrofit] fog lights on 2010 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Prius_in_Paradise, Jun 2, 2009.

?
  1. Yes - Would like Fog Lights that are not available with my Prius configuration.

78.9%
  2. No - I do not care about Fog Lights.

2.6%
  3. No - But I do not like the rubber "blanks" in the front bumper where the fog lights would be.

14.6%
  4. N/A - My Prius is configuration V [1229] and comes with fog lights.

6.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tjp74

tjp74 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So how are you guys ordering the trim covers? I went to parts.com and they don't list 2010. Do I search by part number?
    For stalk switch, it's 2009 one with foglight correct?

Hmm.. now I am wondering about buying used one from 09 or 08 Prius and Camry....

2. rachaelseven

rachaelseven New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Covers and stalk I searched by part number (see previous posts). Screws showed up as a related item on one of my searches, probably the one for the lights themselves.

3. tjp74

tjp74 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks. that worked. Didn't read all posts. $31.81 for the cover!!!
    That's cheap! :D

4. rachaelseven

rachaelseven New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, I decided to order these fogs:

2007-2009 TOYOTA CAMRY FOG LIGHT - CLEAR (WIRING KIT INCLUDED)

I went with clear so they'd look as factory as possible, though the smoked would probably look good too. I'll report on quality and fit once I get them and also let you know what the kit includes. Hopefully the wiring from the relay to the lights won't be too difficult.

5. hawkmoon77

hawkmoon77 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Umm... Relatively cheap.

I bought a platic injection molded garbage can that used a lot more plastic for 3 dollars. I'd say that puts the Toyota part at about 10 times more expensive than it should be! :) Car parts are priced so oddly. Seems like spark plugs should cost more than the tiny plastic cover.

6. hawkmoon77

hawkmoon77 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Looks like a great set. I was about to place an order for them, and then I thought that it made no sense for both of us to order them before we know for sure how well the fit is.

I'm still waiting for delivery of the covers anyway. Hopefully it'll be here in a week or so. Let us know what you think of the set when it arrives, and how good the fit is. If it's a match, I'll definately order them. Looks like a quality kit and reputable company.

7. rachaelseven

rachaelseven New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My thoughts exactly. Hopefully my covers will get here pretty quickly - I just ordered them today. But the moment it all gets here, I'll get the mechanical fit testing done. I might wait for you to prototype out the electrical, but I'll make sure the lights at least fit well in the covers and see how the quality looks. I'll also see if the switch happens to be a match, so you'll know what to expect there as well. Gotta love teamwork!

8. tjp74

tjp74 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I ended up ordering this on eBay, the cheapest I could find. For me, I am mainly going for the look rather that needing the true funtionality of fog light.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300337614525

I found out that kit for Yaris is cheaper by $10 compared to same kit for Camry on ebay. $43.99 total including shipping. I will post detailed description and pictures once I receive the kit.

Also ordering the OEM trim plates from parts people.

9. rachaelseven

rachaelseven New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Good catch on the Yaris compatibility - would have saved 8 bucks had I figured that out before I ordered. For reference, the equivalent kit from Conquest Auto is at:

2006-2008 TOYOTA YARIS 3 DR FOG LIGHT - CLEAR (WIRING KIT INCLUDED)

It's $69.18 with free US shipping there. Will be interesting to see if it's the same kit or if the quality is comparable.

EDIT: Coupon code 5off will get you 5% off at Conquest, which gets the Yaris kit down to $65.72 including shipping. For that price it almost has to be the same one as on eBay. This one is Winjet brand, made in China... probably identical to the eBay ones. Will be an interesting comparison.

10. CPSDarren

CPSDarren CPS Technician

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'll consider a foglight accessory kit if Toyota releases one. Until then, what's the cheapest and easiest way to replace the plastic covers with a non-functional bulb that fits flush and isn't too difficult to install?

I could care less that it won't be wired as I want to get rid of the grey plastic covers that detract from the front end, just for aesthetic reasons. Thanks!

11. rachaelseven

rachaelseven New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Right now, it looks like the easiest way would be an aftermarket Chinese fog light kit for the 07-08 Yaris from eBay that goes for about $40-$45 including shipping (see above), plus the two Toyota mounting rings, aka "Covers" (see further above), that are about $32 each plus shipping. So all told, you could be done for about $125 and look like you have factory fog lights. That's the easiest way that's been discussed up to now - no drilling cutting or mucking about - just screw 'em in. As a bonus, it should all work if you decide to wire it up at some point in the future and the Chinese fog light kit will come with a switch and relay so you can theoretically wire it up functionally for that same amount of money if you feel adventurous and don't mind a non-stock switch on the dash. It hasn't actually been tried yet, but it will be soon (people have ordered parts); so subscribe to the thread if you want to find out how it works.

As for the cheapest way? Probably pick up a cheap set of aftermarket fog lights at your local parts store or wallymart, cut out the round part of the grey plugs, and use some duct tape, bailing wire, spit, and epoxy to hold the lights in place. Won't look stock and will be a PITA, but it will be cheap.

1 person likes this.
  12. CPSDarren

CPSDarren CPS Technician

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks, sounds perfect! I'll wait for photos before I pull the trigger. I think I'll avoid cutting the covers, just in case I want to use them if the foglights don't look good, rattle, etc.

13. hawkmoon77

hawkmoon77 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The shape is very unusual, so if you don't use the recessed fog light covers, you'd need to use the existing cover.

Get a dremel and cut a hole in the existing covers. Fill the hole with a $15 set of small round aftermarket fogs. Either mount them in somehow (could be a challenge) or just epoxy them in place (easier).

That's the easist.

14. CPSDarren

CPSDarren CPS Technician

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Anyone happen to know the part number and cost offhand for the OEM blank covers (grey)? Perhaps if those are cheap I could tinker with something I find at a local shop...

15. Slovewell

Slovewell New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I did just what you were saying. I bought the lights and housings from Toyota because I wanted it to look stock. I had a local accessory type shop install a lighted switch in one of the blank spots. I made sure they go off when the high beams are on and that everything (wires) is hidden. So far, so good. If I would have done the turn signal stalk and the relay it would have cost me $1500 plus the computer may have had to be reprogrammed. I'm happy with the way I have it.

16. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I don't think the fog lights from a Yaris or Camry will fit the Gen3 Prius because these lights have a slanted lens relative to the reflector to fit the contour of the bumper.
    The Prius fogs need to be in parallel to the reflector.

17. rachaelseven

rachaelseven New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The lights themselves are the same, they just have a different mounting ring, which for some reason is called the 'cover' in the parts catalog.

18. hawkmoon77

hawkmoon77 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Same part number.

19. tjp74

tjp74 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think the OEM blank covers is listed at $31 or so and foglight cover at $46 or so. Since you can get the $46 for about $32 discounted price, I bet OEM blank cover goes for about $20 or so.

BUT, couple of us here will be installing OEM fog light covers in few days and will be left with blank covers to throw away. If anyone wants it, I am willing to let it go for shipping.

BTW, chinese foglight kit for Yaris is on it's way via FedEx. $43.99 total. If it comes with exactly same OEM look alike switch shown in the picture, I believe it should fit perfectly in one of few blank swith plates next to the mirror adjustment switch. Wiring harness comes with correct connectors so it will be a plug n play almost.
    OEM cover has been ordered from autopartspeople.com. Due to dealer being in same state, I got charged with tax. Total including tax and shipping turned out to be $80.71. For those of you outside of washington state, it will be $75.05 total. My only concern is not every dealer will be fully stocked with 2010 Prius parts. Hope this one does...

Now it's all waiting time.

20. CPSDarren

CPSDarren CPS Technician

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm interested, also want to see your pics, thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.