1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fog lights PiP diy

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Khawailad, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Khawailad

Khawailad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hi! I am new here and sorry if a thread already exists. (first thread)

I have PiP 2014 without fog lights. Purchased fog light grill from dealer, fog lights from junkyard, couldn't find identical ones so one is from a 13 Prius with a 19 W h11 (light weight, with bracket), other one is Valeo (aftermarket I think, is heavy, and looks almost like 2010-11 models).

I am trying to make my own harness using weatherproof relay and inline fuse, send trigger wire from firewall and mount the switch inside.

Not sure if the housing with 19W h11 would handle 55W lamp, heat issue basically.

I plan on using 12 gauge automotive wire (copper) from + point to fuse to relay to fog lights and back to ground. (if I use inline fuse of 12 gauge wire)

My other question is about using inline fuse with a 14 gauge wire, just for the part to relay then 12 gauge everywhere else to fog lights. (if I use inline fuse of 14 gauge wire).

So which way to go, is inline fuse with 14 gauge wire on both sides of it ok or should I use the 12 gauge inline fuse as well.

H11 connectors I sourced from junkyard, Prius head lamps (low beam).

I may use Sylvania fog light led H11 (currently using in low beam) but want to be able to use any heavy wattage, thus good harness is essential.

Waiting for advise.