1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

fog lights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ramarren, Aug 20, 2006.

1. molgrips

molgrips Member

Rear fogs are mandatory in the UK, and extremely useful. Problem is, people don't know how to use them. The law says to use them when visibility is less than 100m, which constitutes pretty thick fog. In my ten years of driving I must only have used the foglight less than 10 times - but then again, I don't live on the East Coast :) Under these conditions, you can only see foglights moving around in front of you, and cars who don't put them on suddenly appear out of nothing when they're right close to you - the effect is dramatic.

People tend to put them on too early though, whenever there's a bit of mist, and they forget to turn them off after the fog's gone - which admittedly is easy to do. The light is very bright and dazzles anyone behind. For this reason, the ones on the Prius are on a timer :)

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman @ Aug 21 2006, 05:29 PM) [snapback]307161[/snapback]</div>
    :lol:

I rarely see them on. If anything, I've only seen them on on Volvos (must be a safety thing that the driver has ingrained in them). Both times, it was sunny. Actually, one of them Volvos had an "L" driver so I guess he just wants to be seen but he better not make it a habit.

I agree though, most people here don't understand what a rear foglight is or even know how to activate them.

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godfrey DiGiorgi @ Aug 21 2006, 09:19 PM) [snapback]307248[/snapback]</div>
    Godfrey

I have extensive overseas travel for business, and as a result stand behind my assertion of the average North American driver. Though I have seen pretty crappy driving in Spain too.

I’m not sure what is worse: the ricer punk who drives like a frickin speeded-out maniac putting everybody in peril, or the clueless person who refuses to leave the left or “passing†lane, despite going 10 km/h BELOW the posted speed limit. Or how about those who never ever signal?

What, the signal lever is optional in the car they’re driving???

I would love to see a driver try crap like that on the Autobahn. They’d soon discover the Polizei use VERY quick BMW interceptor cars, they make a Ford Crown Vic seem about as fast as a barbell.

I’m also perplexed how Officer Barney will rarely enforce all but the most blatant traffic infractions, while the Polizei will nail your nice person.

jay

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godfrey DiGiorgi @ Aug 21 2006, 09:19 PM) [snapback]307248[/snapback]</div>
    Godfrey

The rear fog lamps on my co-workers 2006 Range Rover HSE appear dazzling bright. I don't recall Canada restricting lamps the same way the U.S. did

jay

4. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Indeed. In BC, they're enforcing seatbelts this summer as well as tailgating. I'd still prefer if they catch those that change without indicating.

5. ramarren

ramarren New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman @ Aug 22 2006, 06:35 PM) [snapback]307953[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry, but I also travel extensively. Not so much the past couple of years, but prior to that I was turning 250-300K miles a year mostly to destinations in Europe. I've probably driven 20,000 miles in the UK and Europe as well.

I stand by my observation: there are incompetent drivers everywhere, the distribution is pretty even.

Godfrey

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It could very well be that the worst drivers in the country live in Winnipeg, and I lucked out and encountered respectful and courteous drivers even in London. You never know.

Just curious though. I've never noticed an "official" and "unofficial" speed limit in the EU. That is common here, anywhere from 5-20km/h over the posted speed "limit."

I'm leaving for another 2 weeks so I will see if my mood changed once I return

7. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman @ Aug 23 2006, 06:35 PM) [snapback]308590[/snapback]</div>
    Jay,

Take a look at this message by Alnilam, he seems to agree with you (and me) on the subject of US vs. European drivers:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Aug 23 2006, 12:49 PM) [snapback]308412[/snapback]</div>

8. wilco

wilco New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman @ Aug 23 2006, 06:35 PM) [snapback]308590[/snapback]</div>
    Again, LOL! Surely you've driven in Vancouver? Montreal? These two cities are IMHO tied for last! Winnipeg does have the worst roads in the country though, hands down.

I'm in complete agreement with your earlier comments. I learned to drive in the UK, and have driven thousands of KMs "on the continent". People might break the rules more there, but in North America there's a lack of skills.

9. curtissac

curtissac New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(glenhead @ Aug 21 2006, 04:08 PM) [snapback]306988[/snapback]</div>
    It is, in fact illegal, in California to drive at anytime, including during daylight hours, with only the parking lights on.

California Vehicle Code § 24800. "No vehicle shall be driven at any time with the parking lamps lighted except when the lamps are being used as turn signal lamps or when the headlamps are also lighted."

10. curtissac

curtissac New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marjam @ Aug 20 2006, 12:59 PM) [snapback]306297[/snapback]</div>
    California vehicle code defines fog lights as those "mounted on the front at a height of not less than 12 inches nor more than 30 inches and aimed so that when the vehicle is not loaded none of the high-intensity portion of the light to the left of the center of the vehicle projects higher than a level of four inches below the level of the center of the lamp from which it comes, for a distance of 25 feet in front of the vehicle." Fog lights cannot be used without headlights.

I was one of those that you would see with fog lights on during clear days. One some roads in California, such as SR4 west of Stockton, use of headlights is required for safety reasons during all hours. On many roads, particularly two lane roads with 55+ speed limits, I will use my headlights even though they are not required. I use the fog lights too. They are visible. When flying, I use all landing lights for approaches during the day - I want to be seen by tower controllers and/or planes on the ground. Motorcycles can be equipped with modulating headlights for daytime use for the same reason... the better to see you with, my dear.

11. curtissac

curtissac New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Aug 20 2006, 11:26 AM) [snapback]306258[/snapback]</div>
    The first notch is parking lights. As mentioned by others, in many jurisdictions, such as California, you cannot use parking lights alone while driving - day or night.

The California vehicle code creates a little problem for you if you want to use you fog lights alone as running lights.

Daytime running lights cannot be used with headlights. And if the headlights are off, the parking lights have to be off too. This is why the DRLs go off when the parking lights are turned on most cars equipped with them.

Fog lights are the opposite - they have to used with headlights. This is why the headlights have to be on for the fog lights to work on most cars equipped with them. I am not going to argue about whether or not "true" fog lights should be used with or without headlights - just pointing out that in CA, the law says "with."

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.... no parking lights even in the day?!?! huh.

13. Visith

Visith New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Aug 25 2006, 02:15 AM) [snapback]309215[/snapback]</div>
    Probably because people are too stupid to realize that just because their dash lights are on, doesn't mean their headlights are on too.

I see a lot of people driving around after dark with just the parking lights on, and it's probably because they think the headlights are actually on.

14. curtissac

curtissac New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Aug 25 2006, 01:15 AM) [snapback]309215[/snapback]</div>
    Is it really the dumdest thing you have ever heard of? :p You don't get out much, do you? :D

As pointed out - it is probably a rule to prevent people from driving into darkness and forgetting to turn on their headlights. And I can't think of a good reason to drive with only my parking lights on, day or night, so it doesn't matter to me.

15. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Curtis SAC @ Aug 24 2006, 10:11 PM) [snapback]309201[/snapback]</div>
    California Vehicle Code Section 23109 specifically authorizes the use of daytime running lights:

16. marjam

marjam Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Visith @ Aug 25 2006, 12:46 PM) [snapback]309338[/snapback]</div>
    Parking lights are just that. They were used for parking before cars had four-way flashers. They were a way to see a parked vehicle on the side of the road. In 1963 the Government mandated that all cars should have parking lights illuminated with the headlights. I always assumed that was so if a headlight burned out there still would be some light on that side of the car.

After four-way flashers were mandated in 1965 or so I always wondered while they left a parking light position on the switch. It really should never be needed.

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Visith @ Aug 25 2006, 09:46 AM) [snapback]309338[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Curtis SAC @ Aug 25 2006, 01:36 PM) [snapback]309464[/snapback]</div>

Ha... well you don't want to see the drivers up here then. You know how smaller cars (Corolla, Civic, Acura 1.7EL) now have electroluminescent gauges? Yeah, well I've seen way too many of these small cars with NO lights (except DRLs) on because they see the instrumental panel lit and think their headlights are on.

I think that's more dangerous than parking lights since at least with parking lights, your taillights are on and there's some sort of light at the front of the vehicle as well.

marjam, I think it goes back to Europe. If you notice on European cars, they have a switch that allows them to turn on the parking lights on one side of the car. By law, if they're parked in an alley or somewhere dark, they have to have the parking light on the side of the car facing traffic, on.

18. marjam

marjam Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Aug 27 2006, 01:10 AM) [snapback]310029[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, I have seen that. And leaving parking lights on on one side uses a lot less battery than the four-way flashers which drain the battery very quickly. But do we need parking lights alone at all anymore?

19. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I didn't order a package with fog lights because I read on here how useless the factory ones really were. Then I read where someone had done a mod and installed HID fog lights on their car, and it made a huge difference.

My friend Molgrips above is correct. I have been to Cardiff Wales, and the fog there can be so bad you can't read the newspaper!! ( I actually had a lunch with the Lord Mayor of Cardiff, and it was very cool ).

So I don't know how bid a deal it will, or would be, to install fogs on a car that came without them initially. I'm trying to find out. Didn't mean to hijack the post, sorry.....

:lol: :lol:

20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marjam @ Aug 27 2006, 05:19 AM) [snapback]310072[/snapback]</div>
    That I can't answer. I do use the parking light position from time to time. With headlights like ours and DRLs in Canada, it'll make it seem like I have the full headlight on but at 80% wattage and still have my taillights on. It works well on cloudy, gloomy days where I really don't need the full headlight brightness but wish to have the taillights on. Again, it helps that the Prius has a separate compound for brake lights and doesn't use the same bulbs for brake and taillights (e.g Camry)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rangerdavid @ Aug 27 2006, 06:49 AM) [snapback]310091[/snapback]</div>
    That would be docvijay