1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fogging windshield and no UV protection?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by froSTed, May 7, 2011.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We're non-smokers (I guess not many people are still smoking in their cars), but still see a film build-up. Not sure what it is, maybe off-gassing from interior trim: to the point that every few months if you give the interior glass a wipe with a cloth you create a clean spot.

I cleaned our window interiors a week-or-two back, using a can of automotive glass cleaner. It's not advertised as a coating product, just designed to strip gunk. After cleaning we've had one-or-two drives in heavy rain, and it seemed less prone to fog up.

2. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The home remedy is to clean your windows first, then put some shaving cream on your windows and wipe it off with a clean rag. If you don't believe me, put some on your mirrors in your bathroom, wipe if off, then take a real hot shower. And the cheap shaving cream from your discount store (like 99 cents store) works fine.

Mike

3. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Really.

Mine didn't come with the auto-clean function for the interior of the glass and, as others have said, the "off-gassing" from various interior components (especially the dashboard itself), will deposit a film on the interior of the glass.

As for having driven another car -- the answer is "yes" -- fifteen others, to be exact, with six of them being new purchases.

In chronological order of ownership:

1984 Jeep Cherokee
    1988 Subaru GL-10 Full-Time AWD Turbo Wagon
    1993 Saturn SL2
    1989 Subaru GL-10 Full-Time AWD Turbo Sedan
    1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8
    1990 Mercury Sable LS
    1997 Volkswagen Golf 2.0
    2000 Volkswagen Passat GLX 4Motion
    2003 Volkswagen GLI VR6
    2004 Volkswagen GTI VR6
    1990 Ford Taurus SHO
    1990 Mercedes-Benz 300E
    2006 Volkswagen Passat Sport II VR6
    2004 Volkswagen Phaeton 4.2
    2000 Ford Crown Victoria
    2010 Toyota Prius

Every single one of the new vehicles (and some of the used ones, depending on their age) has deposited a film to one degree or another on the inside of the windshield. If you don't believe me, take the tip of your finger and swipe -- you'll see the difference. ;)

4. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OP - Your point of reference for sunlight heating the cabin is the Scion xB - from my memory of that car it typically comes with a fairly dark tint in the back - more like a mini van tan a car and also the construction is way more upright and boxy. My guess is there is significantly more square footage of glass in the Prius and that more of it is angled or it gets more direct sun - the long sloping back of the Prius and I'd bet the windshield is larger too.

5. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My car does get warm in the hot days we have down here. But i have no problems with fog, i do almost always have the auto temp on with the ac on, so i never get any moisture build up in my car to settle on the windsheild when i park for the night.

6. TheSpoils

TheSpoils Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My blizzard pearl barely gets warm even in 90 F summer heat. I don't even need to use the AC. No wonder I'm getting almost 60 mpg :rockon:

7. pattybea

pattybea New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    We have a Toyota Yaris that we've owned for 6 months and love it. But, now that our tans are gone from working outside all summer and our skin is pale we have found that even with short trips in our car, we're getting sunburned through the windshield, IN DECEMBER AND JANUARY. It's Illinois, we don't get sunburns in December and January anywhere in Illinois much less in our cars. I have lodged a complaint with the NHTSA (National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration) because Toyota told us to take it to their dealer in Marion IL to have their highly trained technicians there use their state of the art equipment to test the uv protection in the car windows. Steve Newman a sales rep. took a blank sheet of white paper, put it behind the windows and said all windows meet manufacturers recommendations for uv protection. Toyota National Headquarters said they are are satisfied with that blank sheet of white paper testing for uv protection, no meter needed, and case is closed! All we asked for was to change our defective window with one that has more or at least standard uv protection and yes, it is a Toyota window.
    Sorry to bother you Prius owners, but I just happened to find this sight where I can post our problem and see if anyone else is getting sunburned through their windshield.

8. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    These are the setting I found best to keep the windshield fog free.

1) Turn A/C on all winter. This will reduce humidify in the car.
    2) Press the mode button until you have air going on the windshield and the floor. This will force the dry A/C air on the windshield to keep it from fogging up.
    3) Set the unit to bring air from the outside. During winter the outside air is dry. It is not good to recirculate the humid air in the car.

[​IMG]

9. rrg

rrg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If there is fogging/moisture inside the windshield there must be water in the car.

Is water getting in during rainy days? Is the car parked on an angle that diverts water into the car over the hatch seals or front air vents?

Did you leave the windows open once and water is held in the carpet?

I know after a good workout and wet hair in the winter, I get in the car I can fog all the windows quickly.

If the car is garage kept, I'm lost.

PattyBea,

If you need to prove you have none UV glass on your car just get an inexpensive watch with a UV sensor $36 (Dakota Watches 7576-9 Uv/Temp Sensor).

On this site someone proved their glass has the correct % uv with an inexpensive watch sensor.
    my2cents

10. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In Cleveland we get a lot of rain and snow. The rain sticks to your hair cloths and shoes. The snow does the same but it melts onto the mat from your shoes. This causes a humid car. I keep my car in a heated garage and still have the issue. With the setting listed above I do not have issues with foggy windows.

11. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I can't see the image you posted, but if it's the one I posted a while back, well, here it is again...

Windows.jpg

12. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Another issue to consider is your cabin filter. If it is clogged, it can exacerbate the issue of fogging on the windows.

13. Beelzel

Beelzel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Old thread but trumped by old school cure. Like the earlier suggestion for shaving cream... I was always taught that a simple solution is a bar of soap (Ivory eta all) ... first clean the inside glass throughout ... then clean again. Take your soap bar and rub in your initials or draw a picture... whatever... then with a lint free but rough cloth... crank on your work and polish it out. End result, no more... or significantly less fogging. We do this monthly in the colder months. Never failed me.
    N.B. I also concur that you most likely have moisture (a leak) somewhere...