1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Foggy headlight

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Bham_prius, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Bham_prius

Bham_prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi All, I am in the process of getting a 2011 Four, not IV because only 2010 Prius used uppercase Roman numerals for model designation and one of the headlights is a bit foggy, anyone have this issue and how did you solve it?
    thanks

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Foggy due to trapped humidity, or that frosted glaze they get on the outside, due to prolonged sitting in the sun?

3. PriusNP

PriusNP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm not sure about trapped humidity inside.

But if haze is the issue. You can buy kits at auto part store or check reviews on Amazon. Me I just use my porter cable buffer and some meguiars polishing compound and done

4. Bham_prius

Bham_prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is clearly water in the headlight, any ideas
    M

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    You could remove the headlight lamp and use a hair dryer to introduce warm air inside the headlight assembly the help evaporate the accumulated humidity

6. rrg

rrg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had this when it rained early on when I purchased it. To prove to my self it was a leak around the headlight top clear lens and headlight back case (black plastic). Basically the seam around the headlight.
    I took black electrical tape around the seam and tucked it into the corners and I was careful to over lap it if it did not cover the seam exactly.

The fog never came back, since I did that and it appeared to fix it, I never brought it back to the dealer.
    I completely forgot about it and it now has 102k miles on it with no issues on the light with electrical tape.

Try it and see if it helps. It's cheap and proof the headlight seam has an opening.

My2cents.