1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Foglight Assembly Replacement - here's what I learned

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Bluesman78, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Bluesman78

Bluesman78 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So I purchased a used prius with a broken foglight and I wanted to get it ready for inspection.

I want to pat myself on the back here because I did this with no experience and almost no tools and no ramp/jack..

Here's what I learned:

1) Order an aftermarket part - mine costs $35 from amazon and included the bulb. Looked the same and fit in exactly
    2) I think I spent a few hours studying on how to do it (probably overkill), but I was really nervous
    3) It took me about 90 minutes to do it. Most of that part was the removal of the assembly. I ended up breaking the assembly to get it out. I was tossing it so why not. That was the hardest part. Also there was a lot of corrosion in the bulb attachment so I had a lot of trouble removing that blindly.
    4) I'm glad I did it, but I'm not looking forward to doing it again. I will buy lamin-x covers with the money I saved vs. having someone else do it. I couldn't really find another option for lens protections.
    5) Changing the bulb seems relatively easy.

2. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Congrats, but isn't the inspection about pollution?

3. Bluesman78

Bluesman78 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No, depends on the US state. There is a safety component and an emissions component. Broken glass in a foglight could be a cause for failure depending on the mood of the inspector.