1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fold rear seat to cool battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by egg_salad, Jul 28, 2018.

1. DLC82SV

DLC82SV Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Maybe you have just created better overall airflow through your vehicle. Which would be allowing the vent access to cooler fresher air? Makes sense to me...

2. GreenGhost

GreenGhost New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Mitchell+ labor guide = 1.3 hrs labor r&r cooling fan at 47k mi had considerable lint on fan wheel, rear seat gets rare use. Also it has notes once removed fan needs to stay in static position (don't spin it w/ your air blower or rotate it w/ rag while cleaning), so as not to damage unit. I work at a repair facility and had our ASE mechanic perform procedure it took 1/2 hour or less, laymen may figure about 2 hours. Toyota suggest it every 50k mi unless you meet certain other criteria they shorten the window.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wonder how much a coating of lint affects airflow.

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Probably have no insulated sun shield in the windshield when sitting so the cabin gets unreal hot sitting there I see no dark tint..and the back hatch fabric cover is not extended covering the battery area so direct sunlight does not pound the battery case area all day.
    No effort made whatsoever to keep the car cool.

Your ac is not getting super cold probably you never cleaned the front condenser of bugs. I clean mine monthly. Super cold ac.

And you can take all the seats out of the back it will make no difference the battery case is sealed.Has to be sealed it has an inlet and an outlet.

Leave a thermometer on the dash someday and see how hot your letting the car get. That heat cooks your battery all day long.
    Not to mention all the expensive ecu's in the cabin.

5. egg_salad

egg_salad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I'm sorry, how is it that you are aware of how I keep my car? Please tell me... have you been spying on me? Seems a long way to come from Florida, or else you're making incorrect assumptions about how I treat my car.

6. PAUL SCHULTZ

PAUL SCHULTZ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ...From your Avatar pic he could see you didn't have any window tint. He said 'probably' for the windshield shade. But, go easy on forum posters. Sometimes folks type sentences that you might read as more inflammatory than they ever intended. As you can see there are several of us that just don't think the lowering of one side of the back seat does anything significant (or at all) for cooling the hybrid battery. I appreciate the fact that once you lowered the seat you felt an improvement. But, I would chalk this up to happenstance/coincidence.

Paul

jerrymildred and edthefox5 like this.
  7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well assumed since you can’t even tint the windshield and live in Vegas your not understanding how important that is to keep the interior cool on this particular car. How bad that is for the battery.
    Then you think flopping the seat down does anything so yeah sorry I even posted.

8. Cory Potrafka

Cory Potrafka Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Folded the seat down and felt like the smartest kid, SMH!
    You have the bravado and maturity of someone who already THOUGHT he was the smartest kid well before this coincidental "revelation", and even further in front of being even remotely merited, LOL!