1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Foley's follies

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by MarinJohn, Oct 2, 2006.

1. NoSpam

NoSpam Junior Member

Isn't it strange that it seems the Democrats had this information and it is being released this close to the election? This implies that they knew about it and stayed quiet so that they could spring it on everyone at the right political time.

Isn't sitting on this information until now the same type of inaction that is being complained about? Letting this go on just to use it as a political football at the time of their choosing makes the Democrats guilty as well doesn't it?

2. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Oct 3 2006, 12:43 PM) [snapback]327347[/snapback]</div>
    I guess you never make typos, eh?

My attack was on the statement, not the person. If you compare mine to yours, you make direct personal attacks. I merely said that it was a stupid statement. Such blatant generalizations are always stupid, and will never forward a cause or argument, as they are almost universally wrong. Making one is a stupid thing to do, regardless of who you are. If you are arguing a point you are trying to convince the other side why you are right. If you make a generalization that includes the person you are trying to convince, then you have failed already. That is stupid, and yes, is a ridiculous thing to do. I don't think anyone would argue that a statement like that does any good to promote an idea.

Where did I say Democrats are at the bottom of every Republican scandal. I don't believe it and I didn't say it.

So no one is allowed to agree here? I can say that no one agrees with you though, as you didn't say anything that concerned this topic. How can anyone agree if you don't actually say anything? Maybe if you actually posted something relevant, then you could have a sidekick too!

As far as the water here in Florida? Well, it's obviously not remotely close to the quality of that which you drink in California. I wish we could get some Cali water here, and then maybe we could be as good as you. It obviously leads to much clearer and rational thinking. Maybe that explains why California courts have more decisions overturned than any other state.

As far as reasoned writing goes, I have yet to see any such "reason" from you. At least in my post I went over both sides views AND even supported the opponents side. I pointed exactly why such a statement was stupid.

If you had anything valid to add to the discussion you should have posted that rather than just pointing out a typo and then insulting everyone that lives in Florida. Your entire post was stupid and ridiculous, and added nothing to the discussion topic of this post (then again neither does this one, but I felt a response was appropriate).

Think before you type, and keep it on-topic.

3. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

4. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Oct 2 2006, 05:47 PM) [snapback]327146[/snapback]</div>
    The insanity of blaming an entire group of people by the actions of a few are telling. You are also interested I am assuming that the people who let go of this story found out about within a day or so of releasing it - if they knew about it for more than a few days before bringing it public would obviously make them co-conspirators or even worse in that they used this as a politcal tool to further their own ambitions - would that not make them more contemptable or are you just interested in the political consequences of this whole thing.

Last i looked, adultary is a crime and sex with a minor is a major crime whether or not you are married. So you hold clinton in the same light as someone who sent an email buy committed no physical crime like clinton. is not doing something somewhat worse of thinking of doing something illegal and not doing it - or are you into crimes of thought?

The bend of your question makes me question the sincerity of your post. You are more concerned about the dems gaining power than of the wrongdoing. That is as bad as this whole thing.

5. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Oct 4 2006, 07:32 AM) [snapback]327796[/snapback]</div>
    Where?

When did you last look, during the Pilgrim era? "Adultary" is a sin, for those who are counting. Show me a a state with a statute against "adultary" and I'll show you a lot of cars heading toward the border at high speed. I know it happens very rarely, especially in conservative circles, but can you show me one case where a person was convicted of "adultary?"

The religious right gets sins and laws mixed up. But when they get it right, like the Taliban did, they'll be the same thing and life will be so much simpler. Simple laws for simple folk....

I heard Pat Buchanan and others say that child molesting is a common trait among homosexuals. It was given as a reason by the learned Republican leaders for not exposing this much earlier, since they didn't want to appear to be "gay bashing." (Not that they ever would!) Seems like blaming an entire group (homosexuals) for the actions of a few (pedophiles.)

6. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Oct 4 2006, 10:11 AM) [snapback]327915[/snapback]</div>
    I also saw republicans claiming they couldn't expose this situation because they were afraid of gay bashing. I almost died laughing. Foley didn't 'come out' till Tuesday and this whole mess started years ago, so if he didn't come out till yesterday how could there have prior gay bashing since he wasn't declaired gay till yesterday? But what really knocked my off my chair was that since when do republicans ever have a problem with gay bashing anyway? It's not the act that got the Cons in so much trouble its the hypocracy. It's the valuing an election more than protecting a child. It's the exposing them for what they really are so vividly. Self-serving liars. Oh, and by the way, lets be clear. Chold molesting amoung homosexuals is no more a problem in the gay community than amoung the general population. Buchanan's cry is just Republican/christian right wing BS and eveyone knows it. Foley blaming his 'problem' on alochol is equally disingenuous and a lie. His claiming personal rape by a priest is sure convenient since it can't be proven, and is also irrelevant since many good men were caught up in THAT christian mess, but have gone on to be great parents/people. His going into an alochol treatment so quickly to get him out of the presses eye is also a bunch of hooey. He may or may not have an alochol problem but that is unrelated to his sexual indiscresions. Furthermore, the cons are trying to say he only sent a few emails and 'what's so harmful about that' is a mere distraction since show me one homosexual who never acted on his impulses and I'll show you a cadaver. Just because they have so far hushed up the acutal physical encounters doesn't mean they never happened. Spin. Propaganda. Lies and damn lies. Hypocricy. Through it all lets remember this country is losing a war it had no business starting, but which was announced as already 'won'. A was started by incompetents who never served, sent our best and brightest to be cannon fodder for political gain, and who won't authorize the military to 'do whatever it takes to win a decisive victory'. In and of itself the Foley incident is but a thorn in neocon's side. But added to the ever growing pile of s**t eminating from Washington it is but one more reason to be disgusted with those in charge. It's rare a day doesn't go by when the pile gets deeper and smellier, and remember, this is just what we know has been leaked. We can only imagine what has been hidden from us and it ain't a comforting thought.

7. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Oct 4 2006, 01:11 PM) [snapback]327915[/snapback]</div>
    Here is Florida's just for one example. Many states have some sort of law. Enforecement is independent of the law, so a state may not actually actively puruse them.

West's Florida Statutes Annotated Currentness
    Title XLVI. Crimes (Chapters 775-899)
    + Chapter 798. Adultery; Cohabitation
    >>798.01. Living in open adultery

Whoever lives in an open state of adultery shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083. Where either of the parties living in an open state of adultery is married, both parties so living shall be deemed to be guilty of the offense provided for in this section.

I'm looking, but I don't see many cars leaving...

Would you like me to get more examples, or is being proven wrong once enough?

It appears that there isn't a law like this in California, so feel free to be adulterous as much as you like.

8. Alnilam

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Oct 4 2006, 10:57 AM) [snapback]327964[/snapback]</div>
    I should have known better. The South would have laws like this. The DOCTOR has proved me wrong. The Taliban is nearer than I thought. But, like most of this stuff, it's nothing anybody would worry about. The Baptists put the laws on the book to appear virtuous and then ignore them, like the drinking laws all over the lower US. Lots of strange laws down there. Kentucky used to have a law that said pi was equal to 3.

Certainly then, states with such laws are full of citizens like the DOCTOR who live considerably more God-like lives than he ascribes to us Californians. What a low-minded sort, the DOCTOR! "Feel free to be adulterous as much as you like." Isn't that really Christian?

9. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Oct 4 2006, 09:32 AM) [snapback]327796[/snapback]</div>
    Even fornication is a crime in Florida.

Clinton did not commit a physical crime. The act was done in D.C., not Florida... he didn't even commit adultery, which is defined as sexual intercourse. Intent to have sex with a minor, however, is a felony, whether or not there was any physical contact. (I was on a jury on such a case recently....)

10. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Oct 3 2006, 12:43 PM) [snapback]327347[/snapback]</div>
    woo hoo, Im joined at the hip!!!! Who says one cant agree with another party member? There are plenty of topics were I agree with others.. Before you judge me, you should look in the mirror... Ann Coulter could whip me, beat me & make me write bad checks ;) :lol: :lol: :lol: !

Doc~

Any sexual position other than missionary is ileagle in Fla. (but not inforced).... ;)

I again agree 100% B)

People complain about FHOP and how the Independents & Republicans are so hateful....

If you take a moment and read through past posts its easy to see where the Hatered is flowing from and who's left trying to defend themselves agenst the bashing and name calling.... (of course we get upset and lash back).... :unsure:

But waiting for LOST to come on...... gotta go..... B)

11. sluggo42

sluggo42 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Oct 2 2006, 11:35 PM) [snapback]327174[/snapback]</div>
    Idiots like you two are what make politics so F***ed up in this country. Gimmie a freaking break.

12. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We'll never *ever* find solutions if we keep indulging ourselves in this 'us versus them' tripe!

13. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sluggo42 @ Oct 4 2006, 07:43 PM) [snapback]328204[/snapback]</div>
    Now now, hate the post, not the poster....

By the way it was said tongue in cheek, and I probably shouldn't have said it. I am upset by the recent rash of school shootings and I wish we could all have a rational discussion about what can reasonably be done about it, but we tried it on another thread and people are just so passionate on both sides, I don't think there's any middle ground to be had. Too bad for our kids. :(

14. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Oct 4 2006, 06:59 PM) [snapback]328242[/snapback]</div>
    Funny. I was going to suggest that all those parents who drive their kids to and from school could go one step further and actually drive their cars into the classrooms and circle the cars around their kids.

Unfortunately, there are groups who don't believe in affording their offspring EVERY conceivable form of protection. Can you believe THIS group! They actually wanted kids to walk to school today (Oct. 4)!
    http://www.walktoschool.org/

[yes, that was sarcasm]

15. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoSpam @ Oct 3 2006, 11:57 PM) [snapback]327720[/snapback]</div>
    This is a lie. The Dems did not have this information, and were not responsible for the leak.

16. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Oct 4 2006, 08:35 PM) [snapback]328295[/snapback]</div>
    Isn't it an AMAZING coincidence that, apparently, after years, this information, somehow, mysteriously, becomes public in early October of a election year.

Coincidence or political timing?

Time will only tell. But of course we will have those who are quick to jump to conclusions for political gain. WATCH OUT! THE TRUTH JUST MAY JUMP UP AND BITE YOU IN THE nice person!

17. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Oct 4 2006, 10:43 PM) [snapback]328304[/snapback]</div>
    Jeez, there are a thousand reasons already to not vote republican. If anything, this has redirected attention away from the bigger issue of Iraq. Or last Friday's Senate vote. Coincidence or political timing?

18. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Oct 4 2006, 07:12 PM) [snapback]328160[/snapback]</div>
    Well, I'm not sure why you keep writing doctor in all caps and red, but hey, whetever.

Godlike? Well, you said it, not me.

Christian? You couldn't be more wrong.

...and you still haven't added a single relevant thing to this thread.

19. Alnilam

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Oct 5 2006, 07:43 AM) [snapback]328430[/snapback]</div>
    I actually was pretty sure I was wrong about the "Christian" part, Vijay.

I put your title in red because you use it all the time to impress and dazzle us lesser mortals. Others have titles too, but don't find it necessary to confuse their job with their opinions by the constant reminder. DOCTOR Berman doesn't want us to forget either. I'm just showing the requested respect, hat in hand, and reminding others of the hopelessness of such debate with our betters.

I haven't shown a "relevant thing" on this thread because it is a bogus thread, designed to push buttons and generate flame. Even a California adulterer as I most likely am (why else would I live in such a backward state that doesn't legislate morality?) doesn't believe that the Republicans support rape of children. Just Democrats do that, right? (The "ChrisCon Amen Chorus" should respond here.)

There was no rape in the current news, just common, boring, run-of-the-mill child solicitation by a (Florida) congressman. (They got laws about that down there? Even the Sodom of California covered this base.) The Republicans don't support evil, they just tolerate and ignore it if it gets in the way of their quest for eternal power. A known pervert is allowed to roam our halls of justice for years for fear that the knowledge of this might cause the loss of his seat. (And, lest I get accused of gay-bashing, homosexuality isn't what I meant by perversion.)

Other bright bulbs, probably without a DOCTOR in their quals, added relevancy to this thread by saying that the Democrats all knew about Foley too and are somehow even more guilty for not blowing the whistle. Moral equivalency which debases all morality! This after it was clearly stated that the REPS deliberately kept the DEMS in the dark about his degenerate methods.

And don't ever forget that devil Clinton who is the leader of this deviant cabal and the father of all evil!

I'll await with trepidation your spot judgment of my relevancy here! Be gentle....

20. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Oct 5 2006, 12:05 PM) [snapback]328469[/snapback]</div>
    I agree.
    Jared2, B.A.(Hon), M.A., M.L.I.S