1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Food for Thought: PiP a preview of the future of Prius?

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Tideland Prius, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The belief upon potential sales wasn't based upon who or what GM was doing, but simply a projection of the PiP's sales in the 14 states alone, which didn't include all the big hybrid and plug in markets.

Then why even announce a date of nationwide rollout upon release of the model if Toyota was going to take the slow approach? The fact is that they had badly overestimated PiP sales as GM did for the Volt. "Toyota's initial global sales goal was to sell more than 60,000 Prius PHV a year, with Japan as the main market and aiming for 40,000 units, two-thirds of the carmaker's global sales goal."-https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Prius_Plug-in_Hybrid#Markets_and_sales

Toyota choose to back out of the national rollout because of actual sales. Doing so and saving the tax credits might of been a good business move, but that also made it the safe one, because they didn't minimize risk but avoided it. That's fine, but would the Prime be as affordable as it is if GM and/or Nissan had abandoned the plug in segment in light of poor sales? Their continued investment in their models is a major force in the driving down of Li-ion battery costs. Would Toyota even be offering a Prime without them?

And Toyota did a horrible job educating on the PiP from my personal perspective. What I know about it, and why now think it is a viable concept, is because of what you and USB posted here about the car.

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It's called marketing. You try out an idea. If it doesn't work, you try something else.

In this case, they carefully observed how the market was responding to the variety of choices offered.

Since Toyota had diversified anyway, it was no big deal. When cost dropped enough, they'd be ready. I know that flash rubs you the wrong way, but there is no damage control or reeducation this way.

#42 john1701a, Nov 5, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  3. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    The main factor in how the gen 5 will be is IMO future battery technology and cost.
    Batteries with high charging power capabilities means vast improvement of regeneration efficiency which is quite low right now. Catching higher percent of the available kinetic energy is an area having big potential to develop thus improving drive efficiency.
    So, I can see:
    3-4 kWh battery with higher charge/discharge power.
    Relying more on battery and less on ICE.
    Keeping the HSD concept. Maybe with different torque split to achieve the above (was not changed since gen 1!).
    Can come in two versions - with and without a plug. High battery charge power means also shorter charge time from external source.

#43 giora, Nov 5, 2016
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a 3 kWh battery without a plug? maybe in mountain territory.

5. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    3 kWh and relying less on the ICE.
    Regeneration today is ~30% of the available kinetic energy (I think) catching more means larger battery.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No, no, no. Very much no. However, I value my NDA more than proving to you why.

However, we should applaud the market (each and everyone one of you reading this) and TMS for pushing TMC harder and aiming for a higher goal. Being an outsider, (media, general public, owner) it's very easy to criticize, speculate or congratulate any idea or final product. As a Prius Expert for the last 6 years, I've really gained an appreciation for @Prius Team and how a large auto manufacturer works. How much thought/discussions/arguments goes on between marketing/product management and the engineers/product development teams. The Prius is sold in over 100 countries with different regulations, marketing/product expectations and product placement within the local Toyota lineup.

Why do you think a lot of us bought into the Prius? Was it really because of the forward-thinking tech? Or was it because it was a Toyota and you knew the "gamble" you took on this new fangled propulsion system in the early 2000s will not fail? I'm willing to bet a lot of people considered the Toyota brand's reputation for QDR (Quality, Dependability and Reliability). I owned a German-branded vehicle made in France with a Japanese engine for 13 months and it was in the shop more often for repairs than all of our Toyota vehicles combined.

Anyway, we should continue putting forth our ideas and where we think Toyota could push the Prius brand, what our expectations are and hopefully they continue to take some of the input into consideration. (like E-Four... but one that is better suited for North America)

Yup. We could see something like the Note e-Power, especially if Toyota continues to improve thermal efficiency. (also, keeping the engine can reduce the cost of the heater. I also suspect that the vapour-injected heat pump in the Prime is a testbed for future vehicles)

Or e-Power like Nissan.

Prius Team and Trollbait like this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i purchased my '04 because i heard of the mpg's mostly, and the hybrid tech. i was concerned about the battery, but the warranty eased my fears. 2001 camry was our first vehicle, so i didn't know much about toyota, but was happy with the camry.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  8. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Another concept we may see in future hybrids is using ultra capacitors alongside batteries to handle 'bursts of energy' both directions.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    e-power is a new concept. as always, i'm skeptical, and will wait to see how it proves out. i'm not enamored with burning gas to make electricity, just to have ev driving experience.

10. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    PriusChat user @hobbit already has a picture of the capacitor box used on the Prius.
    http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/pix/uyv3/999brake-caps2.jpg

from several articles around the web here's a summery of one: Ultracapacitors: The Power To Change the Automobiles We Drive | Search Autoparts

"The Toyota Prius gasoline-hybrid employs the use of Maxwell's UCs, notably in smaller out-of-the-way places, freeing up space for other features and amenities. Amongst other uses, the UCs capture and store electricity harvested from regenerative braking for use later, such as when accelerating."

I believe the box of caps was replaced by a couple of UCs in later models.

#50 drash, Nov 5, 2016
  11. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Toyota is doing work on linear, free piston generators. Instead of having the engine pistons turn a crankshaft, which in turns the generator, the piston sits free in the cylinder. It works against a gas spring that pushes in back up at the end of its stroke. The magnets and wire coils of the generator are incorporated into the piston and cylinder walls. So the generator makes electricity in the same manner as those shaking flashlights.

These will be smaller and lighter than a current genset.

Actually, no, it isn't new. A car back in the '20s or '30s had what was called an electric transmission, but was really a basic series hybrid. Series hybrids have been used in locomotives, ships, and house sized earth movers for decades. A battery buffer is somewhat new, but I think GE was offering in locomotives not long after the gen2 Prius arrived.

E-power is also how the i3 REx works, but it varies engine load to match car speed instead running it at its most efficient point all the time.

I think ultra caps are more likely in a gen5 Prius, if doesn't have a plug, than a larger battery. Costs for them are also coming down, Mazda already uses one in their ICE regen braking system, and they are simply better at taking a large electrical charge over a shorter time. They and a battery the same size or slightly larger should be easier to package in the car than the larger battery.

The current capacitors in the Prius have nothing to do with regen braking, but are an emergency power back up for operating the brakes in the unlikely event the car loses traction battery power.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  12. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Speaking of Ultra Capacitors but a bit off-topic:
    I don't know if this was published internationally, but a prototype city bus, driven entirely by UC, is planned to be tested on the streets of Tel Aviv next year, in one of the busiest lines.
    The concept is simple: 2-3 minutes of 'burst charging' the UCs could be sufficient for driving the bus 2-3 km of low city speed. Since stations are about 1 km apart, it is enough to install 'overhead' charging structure at each station so the bus connects to them while stationary. Further development could need charging every second station.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, i meant the whole car, and concept of burning gas to drive on electricity. it might prove efficient in city driving, or it might not. but there are other considerations such as pollution and fossil fuel usage.

14. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Running an engine at a single speed not only allows it to be run at its most efficient point, but should also make it easier to design an effective emission system.

This would be better in a PHEV, but Nissan likely needs a plain hybrid that is cheap in Japan. My understanding of fuel economy targets there is that it is based upon the highest efficiency car currently available in the segment, which would be the Aqua for the Note.

15. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Nissan's not running the Note e-Power's engine at a single RPM point, though - it's maxing out at 5400 RPM. Basically, it's a lazier way to do what Toyota does with a power split device.