1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Food for thought

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by billynjoanna, Sep 11, 2007.

1. PriusOwner004

PriusOwner004 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(n8kwx @ Sep 12 2007, 06:06 PM) [snapback]511609[/snapback]</div>

Bill Maher for President! ;-)

2. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The opening question has a simple answer. A limiter adds to the price and complexity of a car and reduces sales. The responsible have no need and the irresponsible have no desire.

The more interesting question is which will come first:
    1) Speed Limiters
    2) Car transponders that report speed to "law enforcement" devices
    3) Car speed data loggers

Look at the stuff legislated so far (TMPS, Airbags, etc.). Something's coming.

3. FL_Prius_Driver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The opening question has a simple answer. A limiter adds to the price and complexity of a car and reduces sales. The responsible have no need and the irresponsible have no desire.

The more interesting question is which will come first:
    1) Speed Limiters
    2) Car transponders that report speed to "law enforcement" devices
    3) Car speed data loggers

Look at the stuff legislated so far (TMPS, Airbags, etc.). Something's coming.

4. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mad Hatter @ Sep 12 2007, 01:30 PM) [snapback]511360[/snapback]</div>
    Think about having that happen at night, when the car coming up from behind was 1/3 again faster than cop cars can go (was not a cop car), and you have some drunk doing 45 in the fast lane 100 yards in front of you. Can Happen, did to me. Luckily nobody was hit. All the sleeping college kids in my car woke up real fast. But still not quick enough to see the fast car disappear over the next hill.

5. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mad Hatter @ Sep 12 2007, 01:30 PM) [snapback]511360[/snapback]</div>
    Think about having that happen at night, when the car coming up from behind was 1/3 again faster than cop cars can go (was not a cop car), and you have some drunk doing 45 in the fast lane 100 yards in front of you. Can Happen, did to me. Luckily nobody was hit. All the sleeping college kids in my car woke up real fast. But still not quick enough to see the fast car disappear over the next hill.

6. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FL_Prius_Driver @ Sep 12 2007, 08:08 PM) [snapback]511639[/snapback]</div>
    Uhh...the answer is 1) Speed Limiters. They already exist, so they don't add to the cost of the car and at present don't reduce sales. They're a fact of life and you simply don't feel the effects because you don't keep your foot down long enough. (A good idea!) In most cases, the set-point is dependent on the the speed rating of the stock tires. I hadn't heard of the European insurance laws before but I suppose it's plausible.

Car speed data loggers? Plenty of cars have those, too. They track what a car does and record anything that happened so many seconds before an airbag deployment.

Reporting speed directly to law enforcement is the only thing on your list that hasn't happened yet, but you almost don't need it. The days of easily-detectable radar are numbered given that lidar is much more accurate, stands up better in court, and the only way to beat it is with jammers that are becoming more and more illegal. Even if you live in a state where they aren't explicitly illegal you sure as hell wouldn't want to be caught with it. Automatic speed cameras, already in wide-spread use in Europe, are making their way onto US roads in greater and greater numbers. Stationary devices can use radar, lidar, or ground loops that don't emit any radiation at all. Mobile units use either radar or lidar, and have been engineered specifically to keep you from knowing about it ahead of time. Do a google search on "Gatso" and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Point is, something isn't "coming." It's here.

7. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FL_Prius_Driver @ Sep 12 2007, 08:08 PM) [snapback]511639[/snapback]</div>
    Uhh...the answer is 1) Speed Limiters. They already exist, so they don't add to the cost of the car and at present don't reduce sales. They're a fact of life and you simply don't feel the effects because you don't keep your foot down long enough. (A good idea!) In most cases, the set-point is dependent on the the speed rating of the stock tires. I hadn't heard of the European insurance laws before but I suppose it's plausible.

Car speed data loggers? Plenty of cars have those, too. They track what a car does and record anything that happened so many seconds before an airbag deployment.

Reporting speed directly to law enforcement is the only thing on your list that hasn't happened yet, but you almost don't need it. The days of easily-detectable radar are numbered given that lidar is much more accurate, stands up better in court, and the only way to beat it is with jammers that are becoming more and more illegal. Even if you live in a state where they aren't explicitly illegal you sure as hell wouldn't want to be caught with it. Automatic speed cameras, already in wide-spread use in Europe, are making their way onto US roads in greater and greater numbers. Stationary devices can use radar, lidar, or ground loops that don't emit any radiation at all. Mobile units use either radar or lidar, and have been engineered specifically to keep you from knowing about it ahead of time. Do a google search on "Gatso" and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Point is, something isn't "coming." It's here.

8. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brick @ Sep 11 2007, 05:02 PM) [snapback]510846[/snapback]</div>
    PLEASE do not go under a highway overpass to avoid a tornado. The wind effect under the overpass is similar to a venturi, and it is a very dangerous environment. The ditch is a safer alternative (though undoubtedly a wetter one).

9. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brick @ Sep 11 2007, 05:02 PM) [snapback]510846[/snapback]</div>
    PLEASE do not go under a highway overpass to avoid a tornado. The wind effect under the overpass is similar to a venturi, and it is a very dangerous environment. The ditch is a safer alternative (though undoubtedly a wetter one).

10. chogan

chogan New Member

I may be imagining this, but I vaguely recall a time post-first-oil-crisis when speedometers were limited (by law?), although speed was not, of course. Always struck me as being kind of a nice compromise. If you're foolish enough, you can go as fast as you want but the needle pegs at (say) 90, so no bragging rights. But I guess these days you could get a GPS or a scanguage and defeat that.

Well, I must be mis-remembering. Google does not back me up on this -- no mention of limiting the speedometers. Anybody else recall manufacturers purposefully setting a low max on speedometers?

11. chogan

chogan New Member

I may be imagining this, but I vaguely recall a time post-first-oil-crisis when speedometers were limited (by law?), although speed was not, of course. Always struck me as being kind of a nice compromise. If you're foolish enough, you can go as fast as you want but the needle pegs at (say) 90, so no bragging rights. But I guess these days you could get a GPS or a scanguage and defeat that.

Well, I must be mis-remembering. Google does not back me up on this -- no mention of limiting the speedometers. Anybody else recall manufacturers purposefully setting a low max on speedometers?

12. FL_Prius_Driver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brick @ Sep 12 2007, 08:26 PM) [snapback]511650[/snapback]</div>
    Your accurate points are well stated. I was more focused on which would come about universally as a result of national or widespread state legislation. The more abstract point was that due to the shortcomings of a few, many responsible drivers will be paying money to have themselves monitored or limited.

13. FL_Prius_Driver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brick @ Sep 12 2007, 08:26 PM) [snapback]511650[/snapback]</div>
    Your accurate points are well stated. I was more focused on which would come about universally as a result of national or widespread state legislation. The more abstract point was that due to the shortcomings of a few, many responsible drivers will be paying money to have themselves monitored or limited.

14. Nda3rdCar

Nda3rdCar Junior Member

Perhaps it's just that limitations are a problem. I've just spent a large sum of money on a fast car.... that can do about 75 mph.... not-gonna-happen. In my case, driving a Prius, a Golf, and an Audi... the highway experience is completely changed from car to car. The Prius can go faster than the limit, given time. The Golf, can dart around SUVs with a 4 cylinder and a stick shift. The Audi can rapidly accelerate onto a fast highway, can manuver quickly out of bad situations, can operate safely at speeds reserved for the Autobahn (yeah, I've driven in Germany several times).

The fredom of controlling yourself.

Let's say you own a car that can do 140mph, even more if sold in another country, yet you drive it responsibly... until the day you really need that sucker to pull you out of a jam. People should purchase cars for the type of driving they do.... a Prius for fantastic gas mileage and over all practicality as a commuter car, the Golf for city/street commuting and the Audi for the open road and enjoying a beautifull day with the convertable top down. I'll never understand the people in Beverly Hills that drive 400HP luxury cars at 25mph to their doctor appointments. What the hell is that about?

I enjoy driving too much to be government-limited to exact posted speeds. The flow of traffic, the weather, the time of day, the volume of traffic.... it all comes down to not hurting yourself and more importantly, not hurting someone else. Drive safe, enjoy the drive. - Nda3rdcar

15. Nda3rdCar

Nda3rdCar Junior Member

Perhaps it's just that limitations are a problem. I've just spent a large sum of money on a fast car.... that can do about 75 mph.... not-gonna-happen. In my case, driving a Prius, a Golf, and an Audi... the highway experience is completely changed from car to car. The Prius can go faster than the limit, given time. The Golf, can dart around SUVs with a 4 cylinder and a stick shift. The Audi can rapidly accelerate onto a fast highway, can manuver quickly out of bad situations, can operate safely at speeds reserved for the Autobahn (yeah, I've driven in Germany several times).

The fredom of controlling yourself.

Let's say you own a car that can do 140mph, even more if sold in another country, yet you drive it responsibly... until the day you really need that sucker to pull you out of a jam. People should purchase cars for the type of driving they do.... a Prius for fantastic gas mileage and over all practicality as a commuter car, the Golf for city/street commuting and the Audi for the open road and enjoying a beautifull day with the convertable top down. I'll never understand the people in Beverly Hills that drive 400HP luxury cars at 25mph to their doctor appointments. What the hell is that about?

I enjoy driving too much to be government-limited to exact posted speeds. The flow of traffic, the weather, the time of day, the volume of traffic.... it all comes down to not hurting yourself and more importantly, not hurting someone else. Drive safe, enjoy the drive. - Nda3rdcar

16. PriusOwner004

PriusOwner004 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chogan @ Sep 12 2007, 07:52 PM) [snapback]511660[/snapback]</div>

Yes, indeed. My '81 DeLorean has that 85 mph speedometer limit, though it does 125 mph and yes, I know the top speed thanks to GPS.

17. PriusOwner004

PriusOwner004 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chogan @ Sep 12 2007, 07:52 PM) [snapback]511660[/snapback]</div>

Yes, indeed. My '81 DeLorean has that 85 mph speedometer limit, though it does 125 mph and yes, I know the top speed thanks to GPS.

18. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(n8kwx @ Sep 12 2007, 07:06 PM) [snapback]511609[/snapback]</div>
    Thats why I said "almost" ;)

19. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JustLurkin @ Sep 11 2007, 03:07 PM) [snapback]510759[/snapback]</div>
    Has anyone else noticed that the misguided people who drive too fast can ALWAYS find an excuse for driving too fast?!

20. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    He's kidding.

The question is, what is "too fast"? To me, as a driver who has taken professional drivers training and knows how to drive a car under almost any circumstances, driving "too fast" is driving faster than the flow of traffic on a roadway allows. Meaning if you are constantly moving in and out of traffic trying to get around people, you're driving too fast. On the roads here this speed has almost no correlation to the speed limit, for instance the flow of traffic on I-95 gets to 80MPH in some places, where if you were driving the speed limit of 65 you would be driving dangerously slow.