1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Food poisoning

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, Mar 6, 2019.

1. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Going all public-service announcement on dear readers. Inspired by Bob's fecal thread.

You have sudden onset of substantial, unusual 'top and/or bottom' outputs. You feel badly and are concerned.

Best advice is to visit medical thing-doers. They will (take your money and) ask details of your food sources for at least 3 days. They will offer palliative care and do genomic witchcraft on your outputs. Your 3-day history is very important, because only from those in concert can a 'case' be developed against some bad restaurant player. All such cases you've read about came this way.

Now you are among 30(ish) million annual cases. Allied with medical thing-doers, may join 130 thousand(ish) hospitalizations and (hopefully not!) 3000(ish) annual deaths. Please notice that you, victim of blowing out at both ends, have only 1/10,000 chance of prompt death therefrom.

I myself have gone this way a few times and 9999/10000 has worked, so far.

==
    But here are main points.

Children who are thus troubled need medical visits sooner. They have less water and 'electrolytes' in the tank and thus are fragile.

Adults who are thus troubled should be very aggressive in discussing treatments. If you reach this undesired position of being hospitalized for food poisoning, know that you are not nothing. Play it up big. Every detail of your response to their treatment is something they don't know.

You are boss. So sorry that you got that way by eating bad food.

2. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The best remedy I've found for eating bad food is activated charcoal. It is available as a supplement in capsules just like vitamin pills. It works mechanically rather than chemically, so it won't add to the problem. Just be sure it's food grade, which means avoid the stuff you burn in the BBQ...

We keep some in the kitchen, and bring a few capsules along on travel. As for how much, that's like asking how much water it takes to put out a fire. One or two capsules has worked well for me. A heaping tablespoon of the powder in water or juice is still safe.

Be aware that activated charcoal absorbs not only the bad things you might eat but also any medications.

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Or vitamins, supplements, other beneficial compounds etc. Charcoal and carbon have a long history in filtration use, because they are very good at absorbing things out of a fluid or gas, but they are indiscriminate.