1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured For 6 months, 1 in 5 Prius sales have been a plug-in hybrid

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Ashlem, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I think this means that despite Toyota insisting people don't want plug-in electric cars, it turns out we do. Especially if you can get it cheaper than a regular Prius when you factor in the tax credit.

I hope this helps to convince them to release more plug-in vehicles, even if they have to do it kicking and screaming something about hydrogen fuel cell cars.

For six months, one in five Prius sales has been a plug-in hybrid

2. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Also...some would agree that the Prime is 'less ugly' than the non-plugin models.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Aren't there a LOT of discounts on the Plug-In version?

bisco likes this.
  4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The front would have been less ugly that Gen 4 if the Prime did not have that big black grille. The back end of the Prime is just plain ugly anyway, IMO.

Prius Maximus likes this.
  5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    So far, Prius Prime was able to note growth year-over-year every month since its been on the market.

In total, Toyota sold 26,904 Prius Prime, and when we add in the first generation Prius plug-in, the overall tally stands at 69,249.

The above is for good Prius friend, @bisco. But their analysis of Prime success,". . . slightly better appearance . . . lower effective price . . ." doesn't relate to the choices in December 2016:
    • 2016 Prius ECO lacked dynamic cruise control and automatic braking of our BMW i3-REx
    • Plugin became mandatory like our 2014 BMW i3-REx
    • Backup 2010 Prius lacked both
    There is still a total decline in Prius sales which Toyota reports:
    February 2018 Sales Chart | Toyota USA Newsroom
    model Feb 2018 Feb 2017 DSR %
    1 Toyota Prius Sedan 3889 5418 -28.2%
    2 Toyota Prius V(only) 415 892 -53.5%
    3 Toyota Prius C(only) 716 1372 -47.8%
    4 Toyota Prius PRIME(only) 2050 1362 50.5%
    5 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid 3657 3080 18.70%

I see the PRIME as hitting the Prius C more than the Sedan. The RAV4 is probably eating the Prius V.

Bob Wilson

Richter915, RCO and Prius Maximus like this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's definitely a price/value thing in my mind. take away the toyota/dealer/tax/hov incentives and where would be compared the lift back?
    i'm not against any of them mind you, but i do think they are working.

RCO likes this.
  7. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Looking at the specs, the prime doesn't make much sense as taking market share from the prius c.
    Compare Side-by-Side

Toyota Prius Family Sales Figures | GCBC
    Toyota Prius Prime/Prius Plug-In Sales Figures | GCBC
    Toyota Prius C Sales Figures | GCBC

There is a shift from small cars to compact SUVs, and the compact car market and the large car market to mid sized SUVs. The prius c's trend took a down turn in 2015 selling. 2012-2014 were the best years for the prius c.
    2015 38,469 US + 3029 CAN
    2016 20,452 US + 3135 CAN
    2017 12,415 US + 846 CAN

The prime sold 20,936 in the US in 2017 and did not sell in canada (or in very small numbers). That big drop in 2016 couldn't have been because of the prime. The sales decline of the prius c and prius v represents a shift to the prius liftback, rav4 hybrid, and somewhat in 2016 to the volt - along with a significant downtrend in these types of cars. The prime stops some bleeding of the prius liftback to plug-ins. Given the cost difference the value proposition of the prius c is pretty bad compared to the prius liftback if fuel economy is a big consideration. If its not there other vehicles like the corolla and civic that took its share in north america.

This year the prime, clarity phev, and bolt will take volt market share. I expect more bleeding for the prius c. Pricing could help the liftback improve on last year.

#8 austingreen, Mar 3, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think we got a couple hundred Primes in 2017 (just Quebec from June 2017 to Jan 2018)

austingreen likes this.
  9. Bill the Engineer

Bill the Engineer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have yet to see a Prius Prime in the Columbus, Ohio metro area, and I look at EVERY Prius that goes by. I think that some other states must be selling a lot more than average to make up for the lack of them here in "bologna on white bread" land.

Richter915 and Raytheeagle like this.
  10. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You should come out here for a bit;).

A neighbor has one, one of my employees has one and I pass at least a dozen to and from Work every day:).

It gets me thinkin about the next car for us:whistle:.

11. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Perhaps a better question is which Prius is not eating Prius C sales. BTW, the Prius V is a fine taxi cab and I'm sorry to see it go. Raised up with an underbody battery pack, it could have made a fine plugin.

Bob Wilson

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think I saw one behind my car once last week. If so that is the only one I have seen. I see the occasional Gen 4 but quite a few Gen 2 & 3 Prii here.

13. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...saw a Prime at McDonald's the other day...no HOV plates which means not much as we are phasing out, but it could mean a new customer (not grandfathered)...not someone who lived in Va for xx years and bought a Prius pre-2011 for HOV reasons

14. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    There are discounts on the non-plug in. The places with bigger discounts on the Prime seem to be in the Northeast, which seem to mostly be to match the states incentives of California and others.

The Prius family started losing sales before the Rav4h and Prime arrived. As a non traditional looking car, people opt for the traditional over the liftback and v with lower fuel prices. The c isn't really a Prius, and it's looks don't stand out, but the hybrid premium really stands out for the subcompact segment. The savings of getting a Yaris or other fuel efficient car of the segment will last a long time buying the extra fuel.

Camry hybrids seem to be preferred for taxis. Likely more comfortable than the v for most. With minivans chosen for when cargo space is needed.

Mendel Leisk likes this.