1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

For Prius V owners with 2 babies

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by piratesbooty, Jun 9, 2017.

1. piratesbooty

piratesbooty Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a LOT of questions. First off, I've been driving a prius since 2001. Upgraded to hatchback in 2006 and will be trading in that car for hopefully a V. We have one baby (1 year old) who will be upgrading to a child car seat from an infant and another baby due in November. So we will have 1 infant and 1 child sized car seat to put in the back.

1. Can the two car seats fit next to each other or must they be at the outside seats?
    2. The V seems to have good side impact ratings. Do you think so?
    3. Will my 6'2", 250 lb husband think there is enough room in the front, or will he complain about how much he hates it like he does my current prius? ;)
    4. Can a double stroller fit in the back? Anything else?
    5. Any other comparable vehicles that are worth looking at? (We won't be having more kids, this would be my primary vehicle, and husband has a huge boat-like suburban that seats 9--so we would have bigger options if we needed them.)

Thanks!! Having a very hard time finding the plethora of answers I need through the web here.

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Husband wise, its not much different seating than a 2010 or newer Prius. However, if you get one with a power seat it will adjust more. You can buy aftermarket seat extender rails to install under the seat for more legroom. A low cost aftermarket molded lumbar enhancement does wonders over the built in lumbar. The car is noticeably smoother and well controlled than the regular and probably smoother than most of the small or mid sized suvs that have stiffer springs for potential towing. It also has Pitch and Bounce control that works with the vehicle’s suspension to cancel longitudinal oscillation when the Prius v is driven over uneven surfaces.

3. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Congrats on your growing family.
    1) Car seats side by side.
    V does have three sets of seat belts in the rear seats.
    So perhaps the seats can be side by side.
    Best is bring some seats and try them in a v before your buy.
    2) Side impact.
    I suppose so.
    Who wants to test?
    3) Husband
    250 lbs 6.2 height.
    IMO the seats could be lower.
    Wight I don't think will be an issue, the seats don't have side "racing" bolsters.
    Roof height, unsure, yet the seat do have a tilt back.
    Again best, husband needs to test fit before buying.
    4) Stroller
    The rear v storage area is very large compared to many other vehicles.
    What brand stroller, collapsible type, can you lift it in to the car?
    Probably, yet test fit again.
    5) Comparable vehicles
    Too many variables, yet none that get 40 mpg like a v that jumps to my mind.
    Although a Miata more than likely would not be on that list...haha.

We like our v.

4. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Just took a 300 mile one way with a 6'4" 300+ lbs'er in the passenger seat. His knees were touching the dash. Body types are different. Try before you buy and take an extended road test. Is it as comfortable as a mini-van? Heck no. I've done 1300 miles none stop except for gas in a not-so-mini-van. But I've taken 5 hour trips with a potty break many times in my v. And when I got stopped for 45 minutes yesterday in a 0 to 5 MPH creep past some construction, I though of all those hulks burning gas next to me while my battery lasted most of the creep distance.

Yes, I've had 1 baby car seat and two child boosters in the back seat. A hassle with the seat belts but two baby car seats would actually easier.

All model year v's have had good side impact test results.

5. MrStroke

MrStroke Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I'm 6'4" 290 lbs. and my seat still has more room to go back. Rear seat room is extremely generous. I can't answer on the car seats, but I doubt the manual will recommend a car seat in the center.

Double-strollers will fit fine, unless you have the Peg Pereggo inline tandem. I switched over from a Ford Excursion and this car has inspired my to purchase a Highlander Hybrid for our second vehicle.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Raytheeagle and Sooner Al like this.