1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

For Safety Can't Read MSG While Driving

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Lindon, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Lindon

Lindon New Member

Is there a way to de-activate the feature that will not let you read a message while driving? Seems like a stupid feature with all of the other potential distractions on the screen

2. Whiteyprius

Whiteyprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Excuse my ignorance, but what is "MSG?"

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You can cut wires or install an after market accessory. Otherwise no, there is no procedure to allow audio, phone, or NAV access when moving.

Tom

4. Lindon

Lindon New Member

"MSG" (message) that appears on the audio screen.

5. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    if your going to cut the speed wire or buy a modification kit, do it for something important like the navigation system, or the telephone controls. the canned radio station message is not worth it. most of the time it never changes, and if it does, its just
    the same information that scrolls across the radio while the car is moving

6. skizznott

skizznott New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I agree with rigormortis. I was excited when I first had a radio capable of reading the messages but I quickly learned that they were worthless. I had a Lexus w/o nav and 9 out of 10 times the message on the screen was either from another channel and/or from months earlier.

Now cutting the speed wire so I can do what I want while driving...hmmm, that may not be a bad idea...s

7. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Actually, one of the major FM radio stations in Toronto (99.9 The Mix) puts the RDS text to good use - they update it constantly to display the artist and title of the song currently playing. Sometimes they indicate the upcoming song. It's almost satellite-radio-like. Very cool. :cool:

8. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    yeah and its the same information that scrolls across the radio when the car is in motion

yah i would probably get it modified if any of my radio stations here would display upcomming songs!

9. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    On my '08 with the JBL my MSG will scroll when in motion. The current station scrolls and I believe the other stations either scroll slowly or only start scrolling once you change to them. In fact on our road trip today my wife was writing down song names (from the MSG scroll) that she wanted to download from iTunes when we got home. Most of the stations I listen to use the MSG now.

Mike

10. doubleg2005

doubleg2005 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    monosodium glutamate and it will WRECK your stomach if you aren't used to it...

11. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    If you want to cut the speed sensor wire, go to Prius Speed Wire for instructions. Remember, as long as the switch is Off, you'll lose the 5-minute bar information on the Consumption screen and the turning wheels on the Energy screen. Just off and on for a few seconds would be fine.

12. CCC712

CCC712 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I don't like the sound of cutting wires... what kind of aftermarket accessories will let you view the song information? Will that Lockpick 3 device do it?

13. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Looking at NAV LOCKPICK it looks like the Ultimate Lockpick 3 will, but it's also $229.