1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

For the poster formerly known as Doberman

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by eagle33199, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Dec 12 2006, 07:49 AM) [snapback]360883[/snapback]</div>
    FWIW, Hawking is a pretty bright guy but he is not thought of as one of the brightest minds of the day by active physicists or astronomers. He is well regarded for his ability to overcome his handicap. He's not in the league of a Feynman.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Dec 12 2006, 08:56 AM) [snapback]360932[/snapback]</div>
    I think YOU need to do a little research yourself. "What did he do since 1919?" implies you don't have any idea of what he did in 1905. Every great theorist has his peak years, usually at about 26, when he does his best work. Concentrate on what he did rather than what he didn't.

I think Newton's explanation of gravity and his other incidental work (like inventing calculus) rank him as the top scientist of all time. (Einstein's wife DIDN'T do the work. That is ridiculous and not held by any scientist of note.) I gave my ex-wife a bunch of money I earned while flying for TWA. She couldn't fly an L-1011 for beans!

BTW, "A Brief History of Time" was on everybody's coffee table when it came out but absolutely NOBODY could read it. He had to come out with an illustrated version and then a complete re-write to make it understandable. This isn't just my opinion but is very commonly held.

What do you have against Einstein? It sounds more personal than educated. Anybody in the field holds him as a true genius.

Alnilam the Astronomer

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I have absolutely nothing against Einstein - by all accounts he was a brilliant man... but thats it. he wasn't some sort of singular individual who did something that no one else could do. he just did something that no one else had done yet - it's entirely possible that some other physicist or mathematician could have come up with all those theories a year after he did.

As for the issue of his wife... got any references? a polling of physicists that state they don't think there was any chance she could have done any work on his theories? After all, she was a brilliant mathematician in her own right, and almost all his work came from the time they spent together (they met in 1896, long before the work he did in 1905, and were even married in 1903). There's no proof either way in the issue... What do you have against her?

and for a Brief history of Time... Nice story, but do you have any proof? articles saying what a tough read it is? FWIW, my mother got it when it first came out and was able to read through it all the way through, i read it back in high school... seems that it wasn't just sitting on everyone's coffee table gathering dust. Did you ever think he came out with those other versions because the book had sold so well? That it was a marketing ploy to sell more books and make more money? no, instead you jump to the conclusion that the original was incomprehensible.

3. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Dec 13 2006, 09:22 AM) [snapback]361426[/snapback]</div>
    What do you mean by " by all accounts he was a brilliant man... but thats it.".

How do you know someone else would hav ever done what Einstein did?? And you are assuming one person would have done it all too? Pretty presumptuous if I say so myself. How about Newton or Galileo? Same thoughts there?

I think you are discounting and lessening one of the greatest minds ever in man's history. Name three humans who you think contributed more new or more relevant thought than Einstein?

4. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not assuming anything, quite the contrary, actually. i leave the possibility open that it could have been someone else. Instead, you and others here, are assuming that it couldn't have been someone else, a type of thinking that seems to be rather common in some individuals. The assumption that something is correct with no thought to other possibilities is a very narrow outlook, and if everyone thought like that we'd never make any progress.

I'm not by any means well schooled in this area. However, if you want some names, how about these - Aristotle, Socrates, Plato... While they didn't develop physics at all, they contributed a hell of a lot of "new and relevant" thought.

If you look though my posts here in Fred's, you'll see that i hardly ever state that one way is definitely correct - instead i argue for an open mind, for examining the possibilities. Try expanding your mind, just a little, and open it up so some possibilities.

5. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Dec 13 2006, 12:31 PM) [snapback]361462[/snapback]</div>
    You can have an open mind in Fred's, as long as it leans towards the left.

6. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Who will be Priuschat's Next Top Genius?

Tyra will be making the decision!
    (although there are rumors that T.D. Lysenko might be the first to go, he's got a contentious personality and the judges might keep him around just for the fireworks!)

Socrates, Copernicus, Einstein, Darwin, Galileo, Mendel, Newton, Linnaeus, Lysenko, Hawking, Plato

7. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Dec 13 2006, 10:31 AM) [snapback]361462[/snapback]</div>
    Lets try this again. Let us keep it real and not theoritical. Name two humans who in your opinoion offered more new thought and insight in the world of physics than Einstein. Refer to my post that you responded to 10 minutes ago - explain what you meant by your first sentance that I highlighted... please.

8. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Dec 13 2006, 09:34 AM) [snapback]361464[/snapback]</div>
    My mind doesn't lean either way - specific issues it may be left or right. I fail to see how my stance on keeping an open mind and not just assuming Einstein was "all that and a bag of chips" means i lean towards the left.

Of course, i could see how a centrist point of view would appear leftist from someone one the extreme right...

And doberman - what i meant was he was a genius, but not more than that. he's not some person to be placed up on a pedestal for simply having an original thought. He can be applauded for his ideas, but to belittle everyone else who has made contributions to science and physics isn't right.

You want me to name others who have made a mark in physics - sorry, but i haven't done anything with physics in over 5 years - i simply don't remember who did what, and i'm not going to go out there and do your research for you. It seems to me that the burden of proof lies with you - list the names of all the other physicists who have made contributions and why those contributions aren't as good as Einstein's. Otherwise, i don't see how you can continue preaching that he was so much better than everyone else.

9. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Dec 13 2006, 10:41 AM) [snapback]361474[/snapback]</div>
    Do NOT refer to me as Doberman, again. I find it offensive and have stated such several times. If you cannot refer to me by my proper name here on this BB do not refer to me at all.

10. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Dec 13 2006, 10:19 AM) [snapback]361514[/snapback]</div>
    I thought you had enough experience with the liberal left to know by now that the arguement can't be based on truth or credibility, it goes directly to stupid, loud, and obnoxious... often also going to name calling.

McKinney, Jackson, Hillary... how many should we list?

11. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Dec 13 2006, 10:46 AM) [snapback]361540[/snapback]</div>
    While the 'right' are completely innocent of such name calling... :rolleyes: Please, your halo is looking a tad warped here.

12. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Dec 13 2006, 12:48 PM) [snapback]361543[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, I mean, people like Tom DeLay, Newt Gingrich, Rush Limbaugh, and Bill O'Reilly are all known for the calm and gentleness of their invective (and for corruption, divorce, drug addiction, and loofahs). :lol:

13. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Ahh yes... join a conversation and start pinning labels - ie "liberal left" - on people, and condemning everyone who you see as belonging to that group. great move.

As i stated before, it was a nickname that was already in use when i showed up here... I don't mean any offense by it, however old habits die hard and sometimes i may slip - i do try to use the proper nomenclature since i was asked to. I would hope you can forgive the occasional slip.

14. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
  15. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Dec 13 2006, 01:46 PM) [snapback]361540[/snapback]</div>
    On a side note, I've proven, time, time, and time, again, the leftists are the first ones to resort to tantrums and name calling.

16. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Dec 13 2006, 11:48 AM) [snapback]361543[/snapback]</div>
    It is my hope, my good doctor, that the moderators of this BB would not let name calling go on unchecked. I do not like being referred to as a dog - for obvious and less obvious reasons - all of which you will be able to discern and protect against.

Thank you for your assistance in this matter.

David

17. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Dec 13 2006, 11:07 AM) [snapback]361567[/snapback]</div>
    If you want to get into it, we can extend that further to people who stick labels on others, call them "facilitators of evil", etc... you aren't an innocent here who was picked on by the school bully, so don't act like it. On the two occasions you've pointed it out, i have apologized, and explained that it was a nickname i saw already in place and assumed it was ok to use - i was wrong, and am working to break myself of the habit. By all means, call for my head if you want, i think the mods and others on the forums will see it for what it truly is and ignore your pleas.

BTW, i find it extremely odd that you were called by that nickname for many months before you said anything to anyone, and now only a week after you said you didn't like it are calling for moderator censorship of individuals for it. Wile i will try to respect your wishes, and don't want to belittle your claim of being offended, it seems to me that it's an argument you raise when you don't see a way of winning the actual argument at hand - just another way to shift the argument to an area where you feel you have the high ground. but i may be mistaken on that, and if i am i'm truly sorry.

18. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Dec 13 2006, 12:13 PM) [snapback]361572[/snapback]</div>
    I do not want to get into it with you. Do not call me any other name but my given one on this BB. Period.

I dont expect you to try to respect my wishes - I expect you will respect my wishes not to be called any other names - especially ones with references to dogs. I am confident that you have the capacity not to insult others - even in your moments of weakness.

What you find odd is fine and dandy for you.

I am not calling for censorship of anything. I am requesting that the by-laws of this BB be adheared to. That is of course if the moderators do not mind name calling and other patterns of behavior that would and will degenerate further downward in a never ending spiral.

I am not shifting any argument. You are entitled to your opinions. I am demanding not to be referred to as a dog or any other name that is not my recognized one on this BB.

I am expecting you to be able to handle that.

19. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    And as i've stated, i'm attempting to recognize your wishes. BTW, can you please link to these "by-laws" of the board? I've never seen them, or seen anyone post about them.

But i believe that, in return, you should agree to avoid similar name calling. calling people "facilitators of evil", or telling them that "they see evil where theres good and good where theres evil" when they don't agree with you is, IMO, just as bad.

20. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Dec 13 2006, 12:36 PM) [snapback]361593[/snapback]</div>
    Do not attempt to - I expect you to do so. If you cannot, make it easy on yourself - do not even use my name at all. Simple.

And there is going to be no quid pro quo for what should be normal decent behavior. No matter how much you want to attempt to create some form of linkage however obtuse it may be - you will not refer to me as a dog.

You can find the by-laws yourself. Better yet, communicate with the moderators of this BB and ask them if it is ok for you to refer to me as a dog? I wonder what response you might get? You have any guesses? Feel free to CC me with your request and their response(s).