1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

For the poster formerly known as Doberman

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by eagle33199, Dec 8, 2006.

1. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MegansPrius @ Dec 13 2006, 10:51 AM) [snapback]361546[/snapback]</div>
    The "Everyone else is doing it" defense... Excellent...

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Geez guys.
    David, you asked him to stop name calling, he agreed, and you persist. Again, end this third-grade level bickering now. I'm tired of your passive agressive suggestions of how I should be doing my job were I doing it the way you think I should. I've tried to implore you to alter your behavior in 2 off-line messages and yet it appears completely ineffectual.

Both of you stop this idiocy now...no debates, no "he started its", just stop.

3. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    This is my final post in response to this subject of nicknames and name calling. You can feel free to continue to post here about it all you want, but i feel that i've stated my intentions and apologized enough.

I find it odd that you demand no name calling from others, but are unwilling to accept the same stipulations for yourself, regardless of what the actual words or connotations are. You site "normal decent behavior", something that you have quite frequently thrown out the window.

And apparently i can't find the by-laws myself - the only thing i see are the two stickies at the top of FHOP, which say nothing about this. So please, be a kind and gentle soul and direct me where to go to read these by-laws you hold so dear.

*edit*
    My apologies evan, was typing as you posted.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    apology accepted, no response from David necessary, name calling is generally not acceptible but will be tolerated when someone's making a point. I think it reflects worse on the person doing the name calling that the one being called a name...until said person does something to warrant it.

5. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Dec 13 2006, 12:50 PM) [snapback]361611[/snapback]</div>
    He agreed to TRY or ATTEMPT NOT TO stop referring to me as a dog Evan. That is not an agreement I would sign on to when I examine it - let's see, I will try not to shoot you if you surrender, but give me your gun anyhow.

I will persist on expecting not to be referred to as a dog. Do I not have that right or not?

This is not 3rd grade bickering. It is me expecting to be treated fairly, to not be referred to as a dog - something this BB has allowed for too long a period of time.

This is not passive aggressive. It is simply the expectations to be treated in an appropriate manner as you would expect to be. Tell me, if you were being referred to as a dog, what would be your response? And if there were only attempts at not doing so, would you be satisfied with that?

Respectfully,
    David

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Dec 13 2006, 12:58 PM) [snapback]361628[/snapback]</div>
    Your definition of warranting name calling please.

And for my edification, your rules regarding anti-Semitism.

Thank you,

David

p.s. If you feel it not necessary to respond to my requests feel free not to respond.

6. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    [attachmentid=5907]

Attached Files:

7. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

[​IMG]

I'm sorry, I love threads like this, IMO, I'd love to get into insult matches and really bad flame wars.... But alas, I have to be respectful of PC.... :ph34r:

8. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    To get back on topic, i'll repost my post that got us off topic, with the offending material removed:

what i meant was he was a genius, but not more than that. he's not some person to be placed up on a pedestal for simply having an original thought. He can be applauded for his ideas, but to belittle everyone else who has made contributions to science and physics isn't right.

You want me to name others who have made a mark in physics - sorry, but i haven't done anything with physics in over 5 years - i simply don't remember who did what, and i'm not going to go out there and do your research for you. It seems to me that the burden of proof lies with you - list the names of all the other physicists who have made contributions and why those contributions aren't as good as Einstein's. Otherwise, i don't see how you can continue preaching that he was so much better than everyone else.

9. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Dec 13 2006, 02:40 PM) [snapback]361700[/snapback]</div>
    We know, Squid, all too well. Skip the PC part if you prefer, but at least respect some of the people some of the time. Some of us, sometimes, are trying to carry on an intelligent conversation. If you don't want to play, that's fine, but don't spoil it for the rest of us.

10. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Dec 13 2006, 01:17 PM) [snapback]361651[/snapback]</div>
    In the board's defense, I read posting upon posting from you for the first few months and thought that your user name was, indeed, doberman-d. I didn't even see the "m".

For me, it was all about looking at letters and automatically associating them with the most common word that shares those letters (I am a speed-reader). I just thought you liked dogs. Apparently, though, you think they are the worst things in the world to be associated with.

These past few posts have been very surprising. The phrase "bloomers in a wad" comes to mind. Oh wait--I don't want to accuse you of wearing bloomers. Sorry if I offended.

Regards!

11. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Dec 13 2006, 02:02 PM) [snapback]361714[/snapback]</div>
    I put him on one of the highest if not the highest pedastals ever. The volume of his work, the originality of it, the numerous discontinuous innovations he spawned remain unparalleled to this day. I cannot name one person who comes close to accomplishing anywhere near what he did.

Lots of people agree with me to - his name AND face have become synonamous with brilliance, genius, extraordinary intellectual gifts. His name has become a verb like Michael Dell - what else need be said.

If you are real smart they call you an Einstein, right? What other human occupies that type of esteem?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Dec 13 2006, 02:07 PM) [snapback]361717[/snapback]</div>
    Speed [reading] kills obviously :lol:

12. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Dec 13 2006, 03:02 PM) [snapback]361714[/snapback]</div>
    I'm no Einstein, but is this possible?

13. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Dec, 11:18 AM) [snapback]361725[/snapback]</div>
    Who's Michael Dell? What does it mean, "to Einstein"? or "to Michael Dell"?

14. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Dec 13 2006, 01:18 PM) [snapback]361725[/snapback]</div>
    What about newton? He invented calculus, without which Einstein couldn't have done anything. He also learned knew more about optics than any man before him. His Principia is one of the cornerstones of modern day mathematics.

Without his work, Einstein would have had nothing to base any of his work on. Yes, he may not have been as good a physicist, but he was in every way Einsteins intellectual equal, or even superior. And he lived 250 years before Einstein, when educational systems weren't nearly as good.

And yes, Einstein has made his way into pop culture, as in the phrase "hey Einstein...", but it's not a verb. and neither is Michael Dell - Dell is a proper noun, as it's the name he gave his company (BTW, Dell isn't even remotely in the league of the people we're talking about). Referencing pop culture to prove someone was smarter is a poor way to go - after all, look at all the floozies that are rampant in pop culture.

15. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Wow. All this furor over Albert Brooks. Who would have thunk it?

16. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Dec 13 2006, 02:47 PM) [snapback]361759[/snapback]</div>
    Newton was a was a genius, but not more than that. he's not some person to be placed up on a pedestal for simply having an original thought. He can be applauded for his ideas, but to belittle everyone else who has made contributions to science and physics isn't right. It not like he invented a new source of energy or anything like that. Nope. Not a big pedistal for Newton. I would have him stand somewhere around Einsteins waist or knees or maybe ankles. Next....

What is meant by the term being "Delled"? Dell is in a league of his own - I agree. Not too many people can make BILLIONS of $'s from scratch.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Dec 13 2006, 02:47 PM) [snapback]361759[/snapback]</div>
    I guess it depends on why people have been calling you Einstein :lol:

17. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Dec 13 2006, 03:56 PM) [snapback]361768[/snapback]</div>
    Nope. It's not like he invented calculus or something.

18. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Dec 13 2006, 01:56 PM) [snapback]361768[/snapback]</div>
    Cute... take my post about Einstein and copy and paste... never an original thought, huh? :lol:

Did Einstein develop a new source of energy or anything like that? Nope. Not a big pedestal for him, either. You say Newton would be somewhere around his knees or ankles... which only supports what was said earlier about Einstein only achieving what he did by standing on the shoulders of giants. Pretty easy to downplay someones accomplishments when they were an integral part of the further accomplishments of the next 300 years.

Dell is not in a league of his own - there are plenty of entrepreneurs out there that have done the same thing - What about Steve Jobs, or Bill Gates? IMO, Jobs is smarter than Gates and Dell combined: He knows more than just the business side, which is the ONLY thing Dell and Gates are good at.

19. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MegansPrius @ Dec 13 2006, 03:00 PM) [snapback]361775[/snapback]</div>
    Is that like addition or subtraction or division? Who invented the imaginary number system? Who invented triganometry? Who invented algebra? Tell me, so I can start building some more pedistals - small ones, but pedistals none the less.

20. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Dec 13 2006, 07:41 AM) [snapback]361472[/snapback]</div>
    Though you didn't directly ask me, I'll give my answer: In theoretical physics I think the greatest mind in the history of the field was Newton. Not only did he unite the motions of celestial bodies with those of earthly bodies, but he invented an entire new branch of mathematics to do so: the calculus. His formulas break down at very high velocities and extremely strong gravitational fields primarily because he neglected the time factor. He thought gravitation propagated instantaneously. However, he had no reason to think otherwise. It was not until Maxwell's work on electromagnitism that there was good reason for someone to come along and apply those formulas to gravity.

And that's what Einstein did. I will not name two minds greater than Einstein because I think Einstein is number two.

Yes, I think previously I said Einstein was the greatest, but I've been watching the Teaching Company lecture series on String Theory, and I was reminded of how spectacular Newton's accomplishment was.

Newton also invented the cat flap, one of the most useful and beneficial inventions of all time.

Apparently Hawking's big accomplishment was discovering the formulas to explain why and how black holes evaporate:

Black holes contain energy, and it had been determined that if they contain energy they must have entropy, and therefore heat. But anything that contains heat must radiate. Yet it was assumed that nothing could escape from a black hole because the escape velocity is greater than the speed of light. It was Hawking who explained that quantum mechanics provides the answer: in quantum physics, energy can spontaneously become matter, in the form of a particle and its antiparticle. Normally, they annihilate each other immediately. But if they form at the event horizon of a black hole, it is possible that one re-enters the black hole while its partner escapes. And in this manner energy (but not information!!!) escapes. This was a brilliant piece of work, but not, in my uneducated opinion, as brilliant as a number of other great minds of physics.