1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

For the poster formerly known as Doberman

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by eagle33199, Dec 8, 2006.

1. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Dec 13 2006, 02:12 PM) [snapback]361790[/snapback]</div>
    Do your own research.

2. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Dec 13 2006, 03:05 PM) [snapback]361785[/snapback]</div>
    You missed my point again Einstein - [joke here - intended as a play on the post - not name calling] :lol:

Lets see, Apple computers occupy what % of the marketplace and he is worth how much. If it were not for the ipod Apple would be still floundering although itunes seems to be sinking.

Gates - lets see. his company touches almost every human being in the world - and he has given more to charity than some countries GDP.

Still trying to figure out whose shoulders Einstein is standing on. Can't be Newton - how many hundres of years separates them? I am sure some person came up with something before then, no :lol:

Speaking of integral - who invented integers??

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Dec 13 2006, 03:13 PM) [snapback]361795[/snapback]</div>
    You missed my point again.

3. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    So you base it on how much money they make? Take a look at the histories of the companies: Apple had a good market share, and then Jobs was ousted - he went over and purchased Pixar for a mere 5 million, and turned it into whats quite possibly the best animation studio in the world - ended up selling that to Disney and now owns majority share of that huge company. He also founded NeXT, another computer company which was instrumental to the founding of the world wide web. Apple later purchased NeXt and jobs returned - ever since then Apple's market share has been growing - he essentially turned an almost bankrupt company around into one that can seriously compete with Microsoft. and did you know that, unlike Gates who is with Microsoft only to make money, Jobs has an annual salary of only $1, making him the Guinness World Records lowest paid CEO in history? And did you know that Apple's market share (in personal computing) has risen almost every quarter since his return? Oh and for iTunes - it's true that sales are down, and yet it still leads the market in digital music sales. there's nothing wrong when sales of a product are down due to a downtrend in the market itself.

Gates did donate a lot of money, and i do respect him for that. However, Microsoft is only as big as it is through use of antitrust and bullying people out of markets.

4. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Newton beats Einstein in polls of scientists and the public
    The case made for each is here

As for calling people Einstein ... I hear more people called Bozo than I do Einstein. Does that mean Bozo the Clown is really the pre-eminent physicist of all time? Just asking.

5. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Dec 13 2006, 03:31 PM) [snapback]361809[/snapback]</div>
    Biased poll :lol: I could say they are a bunch of anti-Semites but that would be bad taste at this point and time and in this forum :lol:

Bozo was brilliant. Rumor has it he posts here too :rolleyes: He has to work harder to get his picture out more though. And he should work on making his name a positive connotation at times - Boza is always associated with negative thoughts and meanings.

6. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Dec 13 2006, 02:35 PM) [snapback]361810[/snapback]</div>
    So please, show us an unbiased poll.

7. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Dec 13 2006, 03:31 PM) [snapback]361808[/snapback]</div>
    Nope. Next

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Dec 13 2006, 03:38 PM) [snapback]361812[/snapback]</div>
    Now that you have admitted to posting a biased poll, why did you do that?

8. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
  9. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Dec 13 2006, 02:43 PM) [snapback]361814[/snapback]</div>
    I love it... instead of actually responding to a sound, logical argument constructed from researched facts that support and opinion, you just say no and move on. It must be nice to be able to selectively chose which facts you argue against and still be able to declare yourself a winner.

In what way is Gates better than Jobs, aside from having more money and a company that didn't didn't toss him out on his nice person 20 years ago when it had almost total market share?

First, i didn't post the poll. second, i never said it was biased (in fact, i think it's very representative of the scientific community). however, anyone can say a poll is biased - i was merely asking you to provide us with a relevant poll which you feel is unbiased.

*edit*
    One more point to drive home my earlier point: retiring Microsoft exec Jim Allchin sent a Memo to Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer in 2004 stating that "Microsoft had lost sight of what customers need and that he himself would buy a Mac, if he didn't work for Microsoft."

10. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Dec 13 2006, 06:22 AM) [snapback]361426[/snapback]</div>
    This is juvenile. In this world there are probabilities and possibilities. They are not equal. Virtually anything is possible but far less is probable. I don't have to spend my time proving things you imagine and for which nobody in my community thinks worth any consideration. It's your hypothesis: you show some evidence. This is the religious logic: I believe in God...prove me wrong. Belief isn't fact.

Ask your mother to explain time to you. Maybe the twin paradox, to start out with a light subject from the book. Then maybe work into the heavier concepts like the geometry of space, elementary particles, the cosmic background anisotropy and, perhaps, Hawking radiation. I'm sure she'll do fine (if she has a solid background in physics.)

Einstein was just a genius, but that's it......

He simply revolutionized Newton, who as I say, was probably the most brilliant scientist of all time. A little study here will go a long way instead of just stating things and then telling us you are somewhat out of touch with the subject. You have to be able to recognize "hard" before you can tell us what is just average genius.

11. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Newton invented the cat flap. Case closed.

12. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Dec 13 2006, 08:26 PM) [snapback]361977[/snapback]</div>
    [​IMG]

13. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Dec 10 2006, 05:41 PM) [snapback]360179[/snapback]</div>
    Surprising, I didn't know that food for thought and grist for study. TY

Wildkow

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Dec 11 2006, 08:26 PM) [snapback]360764[/snapback]</div>
    Christians started the first organized schools of high learning and certainly a advanced education at least contributed to most if not all of the items on your list.

Wildkow

14. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Dec 13 2006, 09:07 AM) [snapback]361567[/snapback]</div>
    You're a conservative db that courtesy does not extend to you or your ilk! [attachmentid=5911]

Wildkow

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Dec 13 2006, 08:52 AM) [snapback]361549[/snapback]</div>
    Liberal and Liberal Left are not among the Political Prerogative terms listed in the Wiki.

Wildkow

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Dec 13 2006, 09:13 AM) [snapback]361572[/snapback]</div>

It's quite easy to go back and edit a post to remove and or amend certain remarks. :rolleyes:

Wildkow

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Dec 13 2006, 09:53 AM) [snapback]361614[/snapback]</div>

I think his singular request is that you not refer to him as doberman or as anything to do with a dog. It is quite simple, other terms are up for debate and/or censorship from the Mod's if they will do so.

Wildkow

Attached Files:

15. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Dec 13 2006, 12:31 PM) [snapback]361809[/snapback]</div>
    LOL! My home town is sometimes referred to as the "Bozone" can you guess where that is?

Wildkow

16. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Dec 13 2006, 12:48 PM) [snapback]361820[/snapback]</div>
    Let me take a shot at this if you don't mind.

The real genius behind Apple was Steve Wozniak. Jobs was a money and organizational guy (businessman) albeit a good one. Gates was both the author of some of his earlier programs and compliers but the money and organizational guy as well.

Wildkow

17. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Dec 13 2006, 06:58 PM) [snapback]361945[/snapback]</div>
    I've stated what i needed - all of his work that was worth anything came from when he was involved with his first wife. He did pretty much nothing either before or after their relationship, which is a little suspicious, thats all i'm saying.

And my mother can explain most of that stuff, we've had long discussions about it. And no, she doesn't have a background in physics, she's been a middle school spanish teacher my entire life.

We do agree that Newton was probably the most brilliant. All I've used facts to support my opinions so far - the only time i said i wasn't well schooled in the subject was when i was asked for specific names of other physicists better than Einstein - i stated that i don't know names and that i don't keep up with every breakthrough in physics. that doesn't mean that i don't know my history or historical figures.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Dec 14 2006, 03:26 AM) [snapback]362076[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, it is easy to go back and edit posts, however on a message board i don't feel it's appropriate, aside from fixing spelling or grammar errors. Editing previous posts is pretty much an underhanded way or trying to bolster up an argument or change facts - other people have gone in and completely deleted posts before, and i find actions like that juvenile. I'll leave my posts as they are.

And yes, i understood the request, apologized several times, and explained myself. We've beaten this horse to death, lets not try to stir up the trouble again.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Dec 14 2006, 03:50 AM) [snapback]362078[/snapback]</div>
    Gates was a business man. He went to Harvard for pre-law before he dropped out. From what i can read of history, he only ever wrote one program himself - everything else was simply running the business side of it and providing the "technological vision".

Jobs, on the other hand, essentially created the personal computer market in the 70's and 80's. He had almost total market share when he was ousted from Apple. As i stated, he purchased Pixar and made it what it is today, and created a new computer company, NeXT, which ended up revolutionizing Apple later on.

Jobs recognized the power of Unix back in 1985 - it was the reason he was ousted from Apple. He saw that Unix OS's were the way to go, but others in the company didn't follow his vision and essentially outmaneuvered him.

So i ask you, who is the better person: One that created an industry and dominated that industry the entire time he's been involved in it, leading the way in revolutionary software, or the guy who wrote a compiler, purchased an OS, and ran a company?

18. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Dec 14 2006, 04:39 AM) [snapback]362077[/snapback]</div>
    Bozeman, Montana [​IMG]

19. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Dec 14 2006, 06:29 AM) [snapback]362109[/snapback]</div>
    Well there you have it: good, well-backed research. You are "suspicious" so there probably IS something there. Now you have me curious too. Couldn't you give us a small factual hint about what the first Mrs. Einstein did with respect to special or general relativity? I can't find anything myself and I have a pretty good library on science. You must have some evidence. There was that TV program, but I suspect your suspicions run deeper than that. There must be some writings that I missed, surely something of her own.

Here's what people in the field think:

http://womenshistory.about.com/gi/dynamic/...le/world/17/4/2

Or if you really want to do a lot of reading:

http://www.esterson.org/einsteinwife2.htm

But why trust them?

20. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Dec 14 2006, 06:29 AM) [snapback]362109[/snapback]</div>

I'll have to take this under consideration. Certainly I would have to say that Jobs is a bit more likeable than Gates.

Your views on editing posts don't take into account "Foot and Mouth" syndrome something that I have fallen prey to on one or perhaps two occasions at the most. :p

Thanks for your reply...

Wildkow

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Dec 14 2006, 06:45 AM) [snapback]362113[/snapback]</div>

Right'O here's a dancing nana for you . . . [attachmentid=5922]

Wildkow

p.s. Before drugs came into vogue we referred to it as Boozeman.

Attached Files: