1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

For those long-term P&G'ers, please read

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by zm15, Apr 5, 2012.

1. zm15

zm15 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    As a new Prius owner (2010 III), i'm amazed at the depth of this community, and am glad to use as a resource, and contribute when I am able to.

Since i'm brand new to the various techniques of the Prius/Hypermiling ecosystem, I have a question....

Since the Pulse & Glide technique involves quickly getting up to speed, then coasting, and repeating this over and over, is there a detrimental long term effect on the parts of these cars (Prii) since it's being driven in such a 'ebb and flow' manner? I'm noticing I can get much better MPG, but I'm wondering at what cost if i'm degrading the components faster with this Rev Up & Coast method.

Anyone who's used this technique for awhile please feel free to chime in on your experience.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No long term detrimental effects. In some respects it is actually easier on the car, since the HV battery is not used during P&G.

Tom

3. zm15

zm15 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

You're referring to the Traction Battery, correct?

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Correct. Properly done, P&G avoids use of the traction battery.

Tom

5. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    On the Gen III, the traction battery can be used minimally during the glide phase, as it's more difficult to get 100% coasting compared to the Gen II. Still doesn't change anything in terms of long-term effects though.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The "pulse" part is no different from a regular car rowing through the gears (since they rev up and down as the driver goes through the gears).

As for gliding, you're not using the battery and the engine is off. You're, in effect, freewheeling.

7. B. Roberts

B. Roberts Hypah Milah! Ayuh.

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you happened to live in any major metropolitan location in the U.S., and your commute took you through the city, you would be doing the equivalent of P&G mile after mile and year after year, no? Rush hour traffic in most places it pretty tough on cars, constantly speeding up and slowing down, but most cars do fine in this environment, with few maintenance problems.

Would P&G cause any more damage to a Prius, than a normal daily city commute? Can't imagine it would.

8. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The 'pulse' phase does not require or recommend 'revving up to speed.' The idea is to pulse at an efficient ICE rpm/torque combination.

I use 2000 - 3000 rpm once the ICE is warmed up, depending on terrain, other drivers etc. Our P&G'd G2 Prius is at 140k miles or so, uses about 0.5 quarts of oil every 10k miles, and is as fuel economical today as when new.

So while smart use of the ICE in P&G is fine for longevity, goosing the ICE into the red rpm zone a couple times a minute is a poor idea.

9. hybridtwins

hybridtwins Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    I would think far less than any conventional car, because none of the typical mechanical wear points, i.e. clutches, torque converters, etc. are present in the Hybrid Synergy Drive.

I've been doing P&G off and on for over 10 years now on my Classic, and she still runs just as smooth as the day I drove her off the lot. :D

10. zm15

zm15 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Awesome, thanks everyone for the advice!