1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

For those of you who insist the car is undrivable in the snow...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by SW03ES, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My Prius handled well on yesterday's snow and ice, and traction control worked perfectly.

My only complaint is that yesterday was the first time I've ever gotten the vehicle stability control to kick in, and it startled me with a "beep beep beep" sound that I wasn't expecting. It sounded like the kind of beep a digital watch alarm would make. The last thing you need when you are trying to maintain control of the car is to suddenly hear an unfamiliar noise. What were they thinking?

2. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    True! All the more reason to take your car to a nice big empty parking lot (preferably no light posts!) and try skidding around, stomping on the brakes, seeing if you can make yourself lose control.

It's a good idea in any car, especially a car you haven't driven under those conditions before, and I still do it any time driving conditions change dramatically, just to get a feel for the road.

If more people did that, they wouldn't be zipping around at ridiculous speeds on sheets of ice like they were doing this morning.

3. HokieHybrid

HokieHybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I did great in our last snow....but this time the car is not budging from its parking spot. The melt yesterday refroze...and created a nice ice slick. I took Metro to work and I'll be stopping at CVS on the way home for something for traction. I have a big trip this weekend, so I have to get it out even though otherwise I could survive for a week without it.

I don't think it's the car's fault it can't drive on ice...I should have known better than to park on a hill.

4. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Last night I spent hours moving slush because I knew it would freeze under my car... still, this morning when I pulled out, the car resisted at first, and then made a really unpleasant "CRACK" sound when the ice around the wheels broke. For a split second I thought my front wheels were going to fall off :D

5. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Phoenix, Arizona (formerly Bowling Green, Ohio)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We had about 10 inches of snow here in Bowling Green, Ohio which has made a mess of everything (event the university was closed for 2 days, the first time that has happend in my six years here). I have had NO problems driving in snow (I dirve sensibly unlike most people around here though). The traction light kept blinking but I had no power loss issues as a small handful of individuals have reported in the past. This a a great car as always... have had no complaints yet after 16,500 miles...

6. PorkchopPrius

PorkchopPrius New Member

Good news! I drove my new prius for the first time on a driveway/ street made of pure ice. We got blasted with snow then ice yesterday in New England and I have to admit that I was really nervous to drive the Prius this morning after reading everybody's comments/problems on here. My fiance even waited to go to work in his AWD Murano in case he had to give me a ride!

She did great and drove on ice/slush all morning with absolutely no problems :) Maybe they worked on the 07's traction control?

Hope everyone is staying warm!

7. sharktoy

sharktoy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Paul R. Haller @ Feb 14 2007, 01:04 PM) [snapback]390417[/snapback]</div>
    What snow chains do you have on your car? I'm going up to Tahoe from SF next week and I need to get the best cable/chains I can for my 2005.

8. New_Yorker

New_Yorker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Snow Tires are a wise precaution with any vehicle that drives in the snow belt. My Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland is excellent off road, but the stock OEM tires are terrible on Snow & Ice. Next winter I'm ordering it a set with studs, and getting a Snow Blower attachmenty for my John Deere Lawn Tractor. This winter kinda killed the global warming expectations for the future here in NaYawk.

Has anybody added studded snow tires to their 2010 Prius ?

9. Aegison

Aegison Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I couldn't agree more. When I got Michelin snows, I first went to a parking lot with 2" of snow and pushed it to see what its limits were with the OEM tires. Then, I came back after the snows were mounted. It wasn't really bad the first time with OEM's, as I was really pushing it hard to turn sharply etc. But with the snows, it has worked great far -- world of difference from OEMs. c 4" of snow today, and no problem with driving out of ruts in snow etc.