1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

For Those Of You Who Purchased An Extended Warranty

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by The Critic, Aug 31, 2010.

1. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    For those of you who purchased a Toyota Extended Warranty policy, what repairs have you claimed under the policy?

Has the $1000 that you paid for the policy, paid for itself?

Thanks

2. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope. I had an issue I felt should be warranteeable within the first year of owning my car. Dealer refused to warranty. A few other PriusChat members have had similar experiences with warranty refusal (a search will turn up threads).

If I have a complaint about an issue, dealers appear to be chasing quick-fix approaches rather than comprehensive repair. Example: one of my rear windows has become much much louder and I think it might be the motor. Dealer's fix: WD40 in the window channels (not even a lubricant!). Overall, I think I wasted my money.

3. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I once had an extended warranty and cashed it in for my premium back. The company told me as long as it was before the original warranty was up I was fine cashing in.

Could always try that if you find yourself in a bind sometime.

4. samdaman

samdaman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I had the coolant heat storage pump fail twice -- once under 60K and once over 60K. Both were written up as repairs under the extended warranty, but there are some threads which say the first should have been covered under the power train warranty.

Even both together were less than the cost of the warranty.

Thing is, I was scared into the warranty by having my MFD die three months after I bought the car. No problems since, but it sure made me think it was an important investment given the amount of hardware in the car.

5. klm48116

klm48116 Owner of Gen I and Gen II

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just had my 1st repair yesterday. I had the struts replaced that hold up the hatch. The old ones died. This simple repair would of cost me $300 if I didn't have the extended warranty. I would of considered that robbery if I would of had to pay for it.
    So now I still have $700 to go to get back my warranty expense. I do like the feeling that I don't have to worry about these outrageous cost of repairs.
    It gives me peace of mind...which I like.

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Keep an eye on the suspension: front struts and rear shocks. If you see significant oil seepage (more than halfway down the body of the part) then ask for replacement, in pairs. Replacement of all four could easily cost $2K+ as dealer prices.

7. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

HID replacement on both sides (2005 model)