1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

For those that plug in now ....

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by coach81, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I guess block heaters are kind of useless on plug-in hybrids. We use one daily, on a timer, and that works well with our daily usage. It accelerates warm up, getting the engine into it's efficient temperature range quicker, and is good for reducing engine wear I think.

But with a plug-in hybrid that's not even using the gas engine for 10~20 kilometers I guess that's not going to work that well.

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    . . . . . not to be picky-youny Daniel, but there's still a few Ford Ranger EV's being re-sold, as well as a few Chevy S-10 EV pickups, a batch of Mitsubishi iMiev's out on lease (geek squad has some) - plus a batch of Ford Transit and Mini coopers leased as well. Still, that's not much better than the 2 brands you mentioned. I'm presuming you're talking "U.S.A. only" - otherwise I'd mention there are so many EV quick charge stations in Japan, that if you look at a map showing Japanese quick charge stations ... you can hardly see the map of Japan, for all the stations ... and that's because there are a whole lot of high speed EV's & manufacturers over there. Kind of sad that the U.S. lags behind so badly in the industry. Even worse, that's because U.S. manufacturers actually worked to see EV's did NOT come to market, back in the 1990's - early 2000's.

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I meant only two being sold by their manufacturers (yes, in the USA) today. My point being that (again, in the U.S.) private companies (malls, hotels, etc.) don't yet see enough demand to justify the expense of installing charge points. (Except maybe in California. And of course Nissan dealers who sell the Leaf have chargers for the Leaf, and some --not all-- will allow others to charge.) But as more EVs hit the roads, more charge points will appear as businesses see the potential to make money by selling a charge-up or by drawing in customers with a freebee. Again, my point being that this is an emerging industry, and infrastructure will be installed gradually.