1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

For those wavering about buying a Prius....

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by quagmire0, Aug 1, 2006.

1. BVISAILMAN

BVISAILMAN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't forget the $3,150 tax break, but HURRY.... This should make you feel real good

2. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(quagmire0 @ Aug 2 2006, 02:49 PM) [snapback]296460[/snapback]</div>
    Yep. When they will deal on the selling price, they figure out how much money they want out of your wallet and if you push for a higher trade in, they just don't lower the price on the new vehicle as much. Thus the 'set the price on the new vehicle before you talk about the trade-in' rule. Then you KNOW what they are really offering for the trade.

If they won't give you at LEAST the KBB trade-in value, I think walking is reasonable. the difference between trade-in and retail price leaves a lot of room for them to fix whatever might be wrong (pretty cheaply if the have mechanics on staff that aren't working full out, plus they aren't paying the inflated prices for parts that they charge us) and sell it at a profit.

3. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kirbinster @ Aug 1 2006, 02:05 PM) [snapback]295767[/snapback]</div>
    Not true in Vermont. You have 90 days to sell it privately. It doesn't matter if you trade it or sell it, you reduce the taxable amount of the purchased vehicle by the amount you get for the sold vehicle. For example: The new car costs $20K, the trade-in is $5K, the private sale is $7K, the retail sale is $9K:
    Trade for $5K, taxes are $900, your out of pocket: $15,900. (6% sales tax in VT)
    The dealer now has $4K to put into repairing and marketing the old car before they hit break even. Sweet deal for THEM. Maybe that is why they WANT you to trade in your old car, unless it is a junker.

Sell privately for $6K, taxes are $840, your out of pocket: $14,840. Even if you don't push for close to the KBB private price, you are still ahead by $1,060. Yes, you have some hassle, and yes, you have to clean the car up but that might be worth close to $1,100. If you get the $7K private sale price, your out of pocket: $13,780. You just have to decide how long you want to wait to sell the old car.

Moral: Check your state's tax laws (yes I know some of you don't have to do that :) )

4. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    When negotiating with a dealer remember he does not need to budge UNLESS you give him a good reason to. One reason which will still work today is the concept of the "Internet Department". Call a number of out of state dealers and ask if they have an Internet Dept. The odds are half of them will. Ask them what their best deal is. You will be surprised how many will give you $500 to $1500 off of MSRP. Now go with this information to your local dealer. Tell him "I have a number of offers.....here they are". Tell them what you found and ask if they would like to keep my business. Odds are you will find one local dealer who will want to keep your business local. Why do I know this? Because that is what I did. I got mine at $1000 below MSRP. See what you can come up with. Others have done better than I did. Persistance is the name of the game.

Cheers

p.s. Be prepared, however, to drive to that out of state dealer to pick up your new Prius. Some people fly there and drive back.

5. kirbinster

kirbinster Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Three60guy @ Aug 10 2006, 03:56 PM) [snapback]301027[/snapback]</div>

You need to get unemotionally attached to the purchase in order to get a good deal. You have to look at as just a financial decision and be prepared to walk. Here is an example: I went to the local appliance store where I had already research prices of a new fridge that I wanted on Saturday. Their price was not bad as it was already on "sale" and was down to $479. On top of that they wanted $50 to deliver the new fridge and $10 to take away the old one plus 7% tax on top of that. I thought for a while and told them I would pay them $500 net net net. The sales man told me that was not possible - I told him to check with his manager. He came back and told me they could get down to $508. I told him that sounded good, but for $8 I was going to walk - my final offer was $500 as I told him, and I started to walk. Next thing I knew he asked me what credit card I wanted to use. Moral - be prepared to walk and most times you will get a good deal.

6. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

I came in with all the paperwork from the internet on the Prius prices...

I wound up with 06 Seaside Pearl Pkg #5, $500 down and $27, change for rest...I did take the extended warranty for another 1800....just my choice..and now I'm trying to get Roadside service (which was discontinued in the 06) thrown in for all the grief I have had with no one at Toyota knowing whether it came as part of factory warranty or not.

This is our 5th? Toyota from same dealer. They wouldn't take my 91 Camry with 85,000 miles in trade....I really did do pretty good with that...$1800...so that covered my warranty and now the tax-break.

I knew I would wait and that I wasn't going to have much wiggle room.

I really wanted the Prius and that was that.

terri

7. prez1

prez1 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZenCruiser @ Aug 1 2006, 03:52 PM) [snapback]295865[/snapback]</div>
    We had a Ford Windstar to trade in, a '96 with 185,000 miles on it and a transmission that was starting to act up. They gave me $500 for it, and I was thrilled. I was just glad I didn't have to pay them to take it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(terri @ Aug 10 2006, 06:35 PM) [snapback]301175[/snapback]</div>
    When we bought our '06, I stupidly bought the extended warranty for $2600. Then I saw the forum with Troy Dietrich's deal. I went back in and cancelled the warranty, got a full refund. I just bought the 6 yr/ 100.000 platinum Toyota warranty for $875.

8. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

I hear everyone talking about Troy's deal...but don't know where to go to get information on it?? Does Toyota honor it? If anyone has a link, please help!

I will probably keep mine ....I'm in my 30 day period until next week...

terri

9. prez1

prez1 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(terri @ Aug 10 2006, 07:26 PM) [snapback]301199[/snapback]</div>
    At the top of the page, click on "Prius Accessories", then "Discounted Extended Warranty". It gives you all you need.

10. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(terri @ Aug 10 2006, 05:26 PM) [snapback]301199[/snapback]</div>
    Troy is a Toyota dealer. He sells the genuine Toyota Financial Services extended warranty.

11. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Aug 10 2006, 11:11 PM) [snapback]301290[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the information. I did check out the sticky on it as well.....

terri

12. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kirbinster @ Aug 1 2006, 02:05 PM) [snapback]295767[/snapback]</div>
    The last time I checked, the three states where this doesn't apply are California, Virginia, and (ironically) Michigan. In those states, you always pay sales tax on the full purchase price of the vehicle, regardless of whether there is a trade-in or not.

In effect, if you have a trade-in on a new vehicle, you are going to be paying sales tax on the trade-in twice. Because of this, I would be very wary of trading in a vehicle if I lived in one of those three states.

13. New Revelation

New Revelation The Master Captain

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Well, for my current car which is an 84 Olds, I most likely won't get anything for a trade-in, at being 183K miles and the car's age. However, I also made the promise to my mom that I will not sell this car if I was to get a new one (it was her first brand new car when she first bought it). So I will keep the car and work on restoring it at a future time.

Meanwhile, I admit I am a bit nervous about the dealer playing game. I know I done all my research months before I even came to a decision, and while I am sure there are some genuine dealers, there are some that will try to toy with you too, especially to those who are first time car buyers. Most of them tend to buy out of emotion rather than financial sense, and end up getting taken advantage of.

With so many auto commercials you see on TV and newspapers and the internet, you have to wonder sometimes why buying a car is so difficult and full of hassles from people that are more interested in taking you for a ride than being honest with you.

My mom has always told me that when dealing you have to act as if you may not have interest and prepare to go somewhere else if the deal isnt going the way it should. She has done that a few times and each time the dealer was willing to work with her (you know how salespeople are desparate to get that commission and talking that crap about how they need to feed their family and such).

Maybe I shouldn't be so nervous when that time comes...I would just have to watch my "p's and q's" (old quote from Moe on Three Stooges)

14. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've often heard that a good way to have more control of the 'buying a new car' process is to sell your old car first.

You'll probably get more from selling to a private party anyway, and there will be one less variable when you visit the dealer.

I'm a bit surprised this wasn't part of your 'getting a bargain' training!

15. rocco

rocco Member

Granted this was nearly 2 years ago but I was mildly considering the prius (had never seen one in my my little town) and low and behold - while visiting the toyota to test drive a highlander there was my black bean baby sittin there with a "sold" sign.

I fell in love with it and kiddingly said I'll buy that one right now. Turns out a guy (who had been on the waiting list) brought in his trade-in - didn't like the deal and had that minute walked away.

Rather than be bothered with calling the numbers on the list - I bought it. - so . . it USED to be that there was always another buyer in line. Maybe not so much these days

16. quagmire0

quagmire0 New Member

It really depends on the dealer's situation. In our case, we were told during negotiations that they had reserved the car for us, much to the chagrin of the owners Aunt - who now had to order a car for later arrival. When they didn't budge on the trade-in, I walked, and they let me. :p I have no doubt that they already had a person they would rather sell to, so there was no negotiation to be had.

17. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Aug 28 2006, 08:55 PM) [snapback]310861[/snapback]</div>
    But first make sure there's a bus stop near the dealership! :D