1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured For Toyota, hybrids become a tougher sell

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, May 27, 2019.

1. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Perhaps not. The shift to smaller SUVs was one reaction to gas prices, and almost all vehicles now get significantly better gas mileage than they did 5-10 years ago. Smaller engines, more gears in the transmissions, turbochargers, etc. There is a certain level of fuel consumption where consumers will be happy with that and not want to buy a hybrid with an attendant higher cost (even if not much higher, as in the new RAV4) and the uncertainty of expensive maintenance down the road to replace a battery pack, etc.

Mazda has some interesting lean-burn technology in their new engines (compression ignition of gasoline), for example.

2. stephensprius

stephensprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I just saw that Mazda is starting to sell the new Mazda 3 with their new engine tech overseas. I believe it will eventually end up in North America as well. They are careful to not call it a hybrid.

3. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Of course, this is all conjecture from any of us.

But man...I'm seeing a lot of huge land barges around here lately...not smaller SUVs. And frankly, I can't fathom how people justify the fuel costs even with fuel prices as they are currently.

Montgomery likes this.
  4. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I think that's because it is not a hybrid (with battery and electric motor). They are focusing on the compression and ignition process. Here is their marketing page: MAZDA: SKYACTIV TECHNOLOGY | Technology

stephensprius likes this.
  5. stephensprius

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I agree. My sister is in one of those land barges. A brand new 4runner 4x4. It's gigantic. Difficult to even get in and out of. Worse fuel economy than a v8 full-size pick up truck, and drives worse. Not a fan.

People forget when gas was 4 bucks a gallon. It will come up again and people will run from these giants. IMHO.

Montgomery likes this.
  6. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    But, you didn't buy it and you don't use it. It may meet their needs perfectly. The guy across the street from me has a full-size pickup he uses to pull ATVs, his boat, his trailer, etc.. He isn't the least bit interested in a Prius because it doesn't meet his needs.

7. stephensprius

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    she has none of those things. no boat, no trailer. she works from home. she lives in the city. literally no reason to own such a large, heavy off road use vehicle other than "she likes it"

Montgomery likes this.
  8. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Then that is why she bought it.

9. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Yeah...agree. Frankly, huge pickup trucks and such are the new luxury vehicles. I think people are only concerned about the monthly payment cost and rationalize away the fuel costs.

I also think some feel 'safer' in these large vehicles...or someone tells them they are.

Montgomery and Mendel Leisk like this.
  10. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Fuel costs near me as low as $2.319. What incentive to buy anything fuel economical at that price? US now produces most of what it needs and can produce even more at the right price point so no threat from foreign incidents. So what incentive?

And yet the right design will cause buyers to step up. I was at my dealers today trying to buy a Rav4h and with my config it may take 2-3 months for the special order. They have nothing on the lot and even looking at future receipts and future allotments, nothing in sight even though my config is the most profitable config possible. The only way they can get one to satisfy a customer willing to compromise on config is to trade a ridiculously loaded truck for which customers will sell over MSRP to another dealer assuming that dealer has a Rav4h.

Until the KY plant comes online (current output from Canada and Japan), it will be that way. And that assumes the Mexico tariffs threat gos away as Toyota has warned its dealers of the potential for $1B in extra costs if it goes through.

11. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Well..the obvious answer is that you are fortunate to live in an area of the country with some of the lowest fuel price in the country.

If you look at various fuel price maps, you will see that some areas are in the mid to high 3's now ( the entire western USA ). I'd wager that $4 is the area where people start to reconsider their vehicle choices. I have noticed fuel prices creeping up here in the Midwest as well.

AAA Gas Prices
    USA and Local National Gas Station Price Heat Map - GasBuddy.com - GasBuddy.com

In theory the higher prices are 'temporary'...but who knows.

Montgomery likes this.
  12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    you mean like the incentive of leaving non-renewables behind for kids & grandkids & Beyond? ... or the incentive of remembering that the highest recorded daily / Nationwide average of $4.11 - back in July 2008, may very well happen again, & you will be better prepared?
    inexplicably, when land barge purchase costs are paid for an electric car, lots of people get all uppity as though manufacturers should be giving them away for the price of a used trecel.

#112 hill, Jun 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  13. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    People buy what they want, need, can afford...and not everyone defines those parameters the same.

14. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You mean an incentive like clean air?
    Sure, just your car doesn't make the air potentially unsafe to breathe, but collectively it does.

(And let's not go to the EVs are charged from fossil fuels argument. Yes, this is sometimes true, but the emissions are generally far away from the air most people breathe. And an EV typically gets 100 - 130 MPGe. Still not convinced? Would you want to be in a closed garage with an EV or an ICE?)

Mike

15. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not saying you're wrong...

But unless you have a way to meter, price & collect on clean air, what are you suggesting?

Montgomery likes this.
  16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Tougher to sell for Toyota? It's tougher to sell any product or service - when markets get saturated - & there are lots of companies spitting out lots of product now. Then - couple that with way fewer buying cars - instead choosing alternate transportation? It's tough for everyone - not just toyota hybrids.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. noonm

noonm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    When in doubt, check the gas prices:
    https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/gas-prices/#20191:United-States:USD:g

The areas with "supply constrained" hybrids are also those near/well over $4/gal gas prices.

Montgomery likes this.
  18. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Omaha Nebraska at $2.44 for regular and the local dealer is 3 months out for a hybrid RAV4. None on the lot. Two on order sight unseen.

19. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Why is this an important consideration? You don't want us to use them now, will that be any different in the future?

20. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm suggesting that as citizens we don't need to wait for politicians to financially coerce us to do the right thing, but that we just do the right thing.
    Sad analogy, but I recall when restaurants had smoking and non-smoking sections. As if the smoke stayed on one side. Yes, it took a few cities and states to pass laws to put an end to this nonsense. Most people under 35 would probably not believe you if you told them people used to smoke at the table next to you in a restaurant.
    Hopefully at some time in the future the idea of thousands of cars driving around and idling in dense cities, especially at crosswalks, etc. will seem just as absurd.

What will it take for you to be coerced? A law?

Mike

bisco, Montgomery and Mendel Leisk like this.