1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

For What the Thanks

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by amped, Nov 21, 2007.

1. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Nov 27 2007, 06:02 AM) [snapback]544654[/snapback]</div>
    I'm sure the natives there in Australia have no love lost for your government. :lol:

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimBikes @ Nov 28 2007, 09:45 PM) [snapback]545535[/snapback]</div>
    At least they have openly given appology and recognition to the suffering they have induced right? There may be more to this but on its own the speech was wonderful.

Paul Keating's Redfern speech <.. Youtube video

"We non-Aboriginal Australians should perhaps remind ourselves that Australia once reached out for us. Didn't Australia provide opportunity and care for the dispossessed Irish? The poor of Britain? The refugees from war and famine and persecution in the countries of Europe and Asia? Isn't it reasonable to say that if we can build a prosperous and remarkably harmonious multicultural society in Australia, surely we can find just solutions to the problems which beset the first Australians - the people to whom the most injustice has been done.

And, as I say, the starting point might be to recognise that the problem starts with us non-Aboriginal Australians.

It begins, I think, with the act of recognition. Recognition that it was we who did the dispossessing. We took the traditional lands and smashed the traditional way of life. We brought the disasters. The alcohol. We committed the murders. We took the children from their mothers. We practised discrimination and exclusion."

"As I said, it might help us if we non-Aboriginal Australians imaigined ourselves dispossessed of land we have lived on for 50 000 years - and then imagined ouselves told that it had never been ours.

Imagine if ours was the oldest culture in tehworld and we were told that it was worthless. Imagine if we had resisted this settlement, suffered and died in the defence of our land, and then were told in history books that we had given up without a fight. Imagine if non-Aboriginal Australians had served their country in peace and war and were then ignored in history books. Imagine if our feats on sporting fields had inspired admiration and patriotism and yet did nothing to diminish prejudice. Imagine if our spiritual life was denied and ridiculed.

Imagine if we had suffed the injustice and then were blamed for it.

It seems to me that if we can imagine the injustice then we can imagine its opposite. And we can have justice."

3. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Nov 23 2007, 09:13 PM) [snapback]543428[/snapback]</div>
    You may now stand :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimBikes @ Nov 27 2007, 03:11 AM) [snapback]544611[/snapback]</div>
    Stop It! Dont you know all white males, especially those of European descent are EVIL! They are responsible for ALL the worlds bad - all the wars, death, destruction, enslavement. Wake up man! Smell the coffee - or Kool Aid :blink:

4. viking31

viking31 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Nov 27 2007, 09:02 AM) [snapback]544654[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, jealousy does have its nasty, spiteful side...

Rick
    #4 2006

5. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Nov 27 2007, 09:02 AM) [snapback]544654[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry if i dont fall in line with all the other self hating americans here.

lets see... the most war loving nation on earth? You seem to be forgetting about a few - Japan, Germany to name just two from the most recent 100 year period. Go back a ways, you will find more.

War loving.... lets see... again most recently.... WWI - yup, we started that one... WWII - yup that one too.. imagine all the american that died in those two world wars that could have stayed home and had full lives instead of sacrificing themselves for others war loving natures? then there was the war on slavery - we fought that one internally - sacrificing how many hundreds of thousands to fix a wrong here - count that one too. and then there was the Cold War we fought - lots of lives there lost freeing eastern europe - mark that one down. vietnam.... jeez - dont you just love it when the french get the butts kicked we go in to clean up - u r correct, we should have stayed out of that mess (funny how we in the long term won that one too), gulf war one - we should have let saddam keep kuwait - but we do love to fight wars - and we did it again. the war on terror - jeez, we cant stop ourselves... we should have let the 3000 americans slaughtered in the world trade centers be buried in peace. oops. forgot korea - we should have let the north keep the south... imagine how many nukes they would have by now...

lets also stop doing the other stuff like...

coming to others aid in times of disaster like the tsunami the other year, or earthquakes or just stuff. stuff happens.. lets leave it at that and let those affected by it deal with it themselves.

lets stop donating hundreds of billions of dollars a year to the world in general

lets stop shipping our food to the hungry of the world

the most hated country in the world.... right. the world would be a very dark place without the USA. hate us if you want to - its your right to do so. that freedom was in part earned and kept with american blood and money.

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Nov 29 2007, 08:08 AM) [snapback]545672[/snapback]</div>
    I for one do not hate America. If I did I would not stay. I do have contempt for the government, and I think most of the people are idiots. But that's very different than hating it or them. I am disgusted by the actions of my government, but that is not the same as hating the country.

However, the charge of hating America is understandable: There are people who lack the intellect to form a reasoned argument in a debate, so they are left with few resources other than to accuse the other side of hating America.

7. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Question? How do you feel about countries who murder their own people or enslave them. Here are but a few i would like your opinion on...

1. China. Mao murdered around 50-75 MILLION of his people recently. they still lack basic human rights.

2. Russia. recent history of Stalin murdering 20+ MILLION russians.

3. Cuba.

4. North Korea.

5. Syria.

6. Iran.

7. Australia. Seems like they have been in as many wars as my country. those war mongers for that size country sure have been in quite a few wars. a long history of dominating and destroying indigenous natives. a country i think formed as a far away place for law breakers?? i could be wrong on that one. a penal colony or something like that??

8. Germany. no need to elucidate here. home of one of the greatest genocides of recent history.

9. Israel. love to hear your opinion here. probably has fought more wars over a shorter period of time than most.

Question? How do you feel about countries who murder their own people or enslave them. Here are but a few i would like your opinion on...

1. China. Mao murdered around 50-75 MILLION of his people recently. they still lack basic human rights.

2. Russia. recent history of Stalin murdering 20+ MILLION russians.

3. Cuba.

4. North Korea.

5. Syria.

6. Iran.

7. Australia. Seems like they have been in as many wars as my country. those war mongers for that size country sure have been in quite a few wars. a long history of dominating and destroying indigenous natives. a country i think formed as a far away place for law breakers?? i could be wrong on that one. a penal colony or something like that??

8. Germany. no need to elucidate here. home of one of the greatest genocides of recent history.

9. Israel. love to hear your opinion here. probably has fought more wars over a shorter period of time than most.

8. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ 2007 11 29 07:34) [snapback]545653[/snapback]</div>
    Apparently you didn't notice, but I wasn't bowing. I suppose my sarcasm was too subtle for you. My point was there should be some middle ground between 'love it or leave it' and at least a teensy grey area between worship and hate.

9. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Nov 29 2007, 08:58 AM) [snapback]545697[/snapback]</div>
    Come on Berman - don't confuse us with facts. :lol:

Kind of funny too that many of the countries on the above list have to lock their people in while in the U.S. -- "the most hated country in the world" -- we have to struggle to keep people out.

10. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Nov 29 2007, 08:49 AM) [snapback]545696[/snapback]</div>
    By what standard? Because they don't agree with you?

11. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(viking31 @ Nov 29 2007, 10:51 AM) [snapback]545665[/snapback]</div>
    This sounds like something Nelly (from The Little House On The Prairie) would say. :rolleyes:

12. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimBikes @ Nov 29 2007, 12:42 PM) [snapback]545725[/snapback]</div>
    The irony will probably be lost on him too.

Amazing that people can see good and call it evil, and see evil and not call it such.

I love it when they say things about my country like that. My irony is that if were not for the culturally correct european countries i would not be here today - luckily my family made it out in time before they were thrown in ovens or gas chambers or just shot on sight.

My country is far from perfect, but closer to it than any other i can think of - and in fact, has done more for people around this world than any other country.

13. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimBikes @ Nov 29 2007, 10:06 AM) [snapback]545733[/snapback]</div>
    Because they cannot think, cannot reason, cannot spell or use their own language in a manner that actually makes any sense. And, yes, because nearly half of those who vote voted for a certified moron. Because they cut off their nose to spite their face by making education and health care for-profit industries, which forces the dispossessed into crime.

Hardly anyone agrees with me. The idiots are the ones who use faulty logic or demonstrably-untrue assertions to justify their views.