1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Forbes pits EV's against .... Everything?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by hill, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    We don't have to burn fossil fuels in ICEs though, and plenty of electricity is still made from fossil fuels.

There are already many renewable options; ethanol, biodiesels, biobutanols, biomethane, syn-methane, methanol from that methane, and syn-petroleum for diesel. That list is just the stuff being made commercially, or in pilot plants.

Get the population into plug ins for their local commuting, and we can switch the fossil fuels for long trips to renewables.

RCO, bwilson4web, wxman and 1 other person like this.
  2. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well, get used to the idea because some things such as aircraft is still not feasible on today's batteries. Laws of physics are a bitch. Batteries need to get a lot lighter for air travel to go electric. And air travel burns a lot of fossil fuel.

On the other hand you may adopt a more realistic view of using the right tool for the job at THIS TIME. Hoping and perhaps helping (by being a good battery researcher) the battery and charging technology to advance enough to create tools that make it possible for those other jobs to be done using batteries instead of fossil fuel. Oh, and BTW, think of electricity generation burning all that fossil fuel before copping the righteous attitude of "only drive EV". We are in transition and the tech is evolving and in that state of early evolution the batteries do not work for every job. Get over it and stop pestering people who choose the better fitting tool. Earth is not going to be helped by cars going EV, not that much, anyway, in today's reality. It's commercial aviation, diesel transport (truck, train and ship) and yes, our all time favorite: electricity generation. Cars are a drop in a bucket of this and the percentage of EV in the pool of cars is even a smaller drop in the bucket. So relax and let people who want to take a gasser or a hybrid on a road trip be.

RCO and Leadfoot J. McCoalroller like this.
  3. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think the major problem with burning fossil fuels is not that they are non-renewable, but rather that they produce green house gasses. Burning renewable fuels does not solve that problem.

RCO likes this.
  4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Well that's probably happening anyway, but I'm still happy to try the difficult task of finding a better ending.

Scaring people with the thought that there's no charger network or that there's a bad one with broken terminals isn't productive. If anything, that's going to scare people into staying with a gas car forever.

That. That right there. Drive your plug-in electric car for 13,500 miles per year, then rent something big and fun for the 1500-mile trip to the family reunion or national park tour or whatever. If your electric car replaced a 35mpg commuter car and your idea of "big and fun" only gets 18mpg, you save 344 gallons of fuel per year.

All without standing around waiting for a battery charger.

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Isn't this the same poor Alibi used by the poor slob riding a horsey - slightly over a century ago? Not enough infrastructure for ICE cars? .... because when you get to your next fuel stop - it's not working (station tank empty, & next fuel delivery in 5days) .... or the next fuel stop is too far to reach? Better to take the coal powered steam train?

[​IMG]

Jeeez! The ubiquitous state of gasoline infrastructure didn't happen overnight. How did society get so entitled & stodgy - it's a miracle the Conestoga wagon ever made it to the West Coast, with people like us - not patient as times change. But it does change.

6. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Burning renewable fuels does not add to the CO2 balance; burning fossil fuels increases it. The carbon for all the renewable fuels I listed started out as atmospheric carbon dioxide(well, the carbon source for biomethane is biomass, so it is one step removed from that CO2). The synthetic methane and petroleum is literally made with water, CO2, and electricity. When the electric is renewable, the diesel from such is treated as carbon negative under the EPA's GREET model, if I IIRC. It reduces the CO2 total in the air.

RCO, VFerdman and wxman like this.
  7. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I've said that 90%+ of my trips I could do with a 150 mile EV. Today 50 miles and back as an example. But maybe 80% of my miles I'd have to go public chargers. Mid NC to DC in two weeks, NC to Orlando in a month are examples. Hybrid gets me fuel in 10 minutes at any of 100 exits and within 1/2 mile with no detour. Generally with 8 to 20 stalls. And a stall is generally vacated within 5 minutes. I have rented once in the last 12 years not counting at the end of an airline flight and then I needed a van duee to the passenger load.

8. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I never thought I'd see the need for it, but now I want a bumper sticker that says "Burn less coal- run your car on gas!"

...seriously though I do wish I knew a good way to get my local/regional electric supplier to generate or buy cleaner power.

VFerdman likes this.
  9. dipper

dipper Senior Member

Common on over to CA. We do that, but we also have one of the highest electric billing rates. Hehehe.

10. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    But that would be, in general, a lie.
    In the US, driving the average EV powered by the grid, is cleaner than the average car.
    In the US, driving the average EV powered by a make believe grid that uses 100% coal is still cleaner than the average car.
    In the US, driving one of the most efficient EVs is cleaner than a Prius hybrid virtually everywhere.

New Data Show Electric Vehicles Continue to Get Cleaner - Union of Concerned Scientists

markabele and 3PriusMike like this.
  11. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Come over to Minnesota, we do that as well and have a cost for electricity below the average.

12. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'll accept the claim that it's cleaner overall... but that doesn't make the sticker message a lie.

If I plug something into my household outlets, it's going to be about 18% coal powered according to the EPA power profiler. Therefore anything I don't plug in will burn less coal than anything I do plug in.

13. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You should! Just don't look at the EIA metrics for your area. Indeed, make a statement:
    [​IMG]
    Yes please! Show you insights and exception skills and understanding. . . . Show us your brilliant understanding of the facts and data.

Bob Wilson

14. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I stand corrected. The words would not be a lie.
    Did you intend for them to imply a gas car would be 'cleaner'? There are many that have made exactly that argument in the past.
    You probably didn't mean to imply that. If that was indeed not implied, I apologize for reading into that.

15. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    No, I wanted something factually true and a bit snappy sounding, because I was trying to write a fun bumper sticker to inspire people to think a little. It may have already worked, though I was hoping for less negativity in the overall response.

Not at all trying to imply that the gas burner would be cleaner overall. Besides, legal disclaimers are a drag to read and might be a safety issue on a bumper sticker.

Apology accepted- and thanks for reading!

#115 Leadfoot J. McCoalroller, Sep 5, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  16. dbf

dbf Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It looks like there's still a lot of coal burning to get electricity in Ohio. And with the high cost of electricity in this area and until I can afford to generate my own solar power, I'm pretty happy with my current hybrid choice.

17. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    too cold in the winter, & too many skeeters in the summer - because the land of 10, 000 Lakes each has 10 million Skeeters

18. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Not quite sure where you were going with that, but you sound upset about it.

19. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This is 3 years old and based on what cost of gas? That aside, it's nice to know that I live in one of the best places in the country for an EV.

20. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Unless you are in a township that is exempt, the electric market was opened up in Pa a few years ago, and you can choose your own electric supplier.

It isn't based on prices, but effective levels of CO2 emissions of an EV compared to a gasoline powered car.

It is dated. There is likely less coal in many regions, and the EVs are more efficient.

VFerdman and Zythryn like this.