1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Force charge 1st gen PHV?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Alberich101, Jan 1, 2021.

1. Alberich101

Alberich101 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Everybody from Hungary
    and Happy New Year!!!

I haven't come across any exact answers so there we go:

I have 2 questions

1. By force charging my 2013 PHV ( flooring the brake and the gas pedal) I see around 110 Amps charge burst with the Hybrid Assistant App.
    then after around 10 sec or so it reduces the charge completely
    By repeating this cycle the burst charge goes up to 100Amp, then 90, then 80, then settles around 60 Amps.
    I am able to charge the HV battery to 3-4km range from normal HV mode. I could do more but was afraid to keep going on
    Do I harm the battery or MG1 or MG2 this way? I have only tried it once. and I know it is not fuel efficient at all and it revs the engine to 2600-2800 Rpm

2.Does anyone know a hack for the first gen PHV to force charge the HV battery like the Prime can with a button. So it constantly runs the engine to charge but at a much lower Amp and Rpm count?
    I assume it is only a computer charge request, but I know it is a lot more complicated than that :))

thaaaaanks for the replies

All best
    Peter

2. Alberich101

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
  3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I wouldn't think so. But as you said, it's a pretty extravagant waste of gasoline.

None that I ever heard of.

What I did when I had my PiP was what I call ratcheting the EV. It's best done in highway speeds like 40-60 mph with occasional stops. I would drive in HV and after stopping at a stop sign or traffic light, if the stop generated EV range, I put it in EV and then back to HV which locked in the new range. A stop from 50 mph would generate a half mile or more of range. Keep doing that and the EV range can build up quite a bit. You won't get any better gas mileage that way, but if you have slow driving at your destination you'll have some EV capacity available when you get there.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  4. Alberich101

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks a lot for the reply:)
    peter