1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Forcing EV mode

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Rubdubb, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Rubdubb

Rubdubb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I need to force a 2010 Gen 3 into EV mode so I can move it from the driveway into my shop. Is it possible without just disconnecting the starter? (if that would even work)

My mother's Prius hydrolocked and grenaded. We towed it home but I really don't want to hand to fanagle it into the shop if I could just use the motor to drive it .

2. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You won’t be able to drive it on EV mode. Due to all the restrictions on the EV mode, and lack of battery capacity to drive it very far. You should tow dolly or hire a professional wrecker to move it any distance.

FuelMiser likes this.
  3. Rubdubb

Rubdubb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm just trying to move it 100ft into my shop without having to push it with another vehicle. The slope on my drive is too steep to push it by hand.

4. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If it’s hydrolocked, take the cowling off and remove the spark plugs. If you can turn the engine over by hand, you can get to ready mode and drive it that 100 feet.

Pluggo likes this.
  5. Rubdubb

Rubdubb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It hydro locked and grenaded a rod through the side of the block. The engine won't be starting again unfortunately...
    I'm going to pull the starter relay/fuseable link and see if I can convince it to move. Ya never know ..

6. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three

When mine grenaded in July the crankshaft still turned.

Attached Files:

7. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Unless you get in Ready mode the parking pawl will stop you from pushing it unless you put dollies under the front wheels.

8. Maarten28

Maarten28 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There is no startermotor on a Prius so you won't find a relay of fuse for that. The eninge is started through the HSD's electrical motors.

Using EV mode is tricky because it is not a guarantee the engine will not start. It will start when the HV battery is low or the coolant temperature is very low (freezing). No idea about the state of the rest of the car, but a defective coolant temperatur sensor might screw you there too.
    And the engine will come on when you press the accelerator too hard (going uphill like you need to do) and when the HV battery runs out of juice (mentioned already).

The best option is to get the car in Ready mode and immediately put it in Neutral. That way you will 100% prevent the car from starting the engine. In the worst conditions, the engine will be started pretty much directly when it gets in ready, so you might want to try starting while holding the shifter in the N position.
    You can't drive the car in N of course, you'll still have to push/tow.

Otherwise put it on dollies and push/tow.

#8 Maarten28, Mar 14, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    Prodigyplace likes this.
  9. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There's a way to get into Neutral without entering READY mode. I did it once, but inconveniently have forgotten the routine to make that happen.

10. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Push the button 2x without touching brake pedal and shift to neutral.

amos likes this.
  11. hotelprisoner

hotelprisoner Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    The Gen 2 had a trick where if you could get it to power on and shift into neutral, pulling the P Con relay under the hood would leave it in neutral once powered off.