1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ford 3 cylinder worth expense?

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Troy Heagy, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Absolutely none.
    But what does having changed a timing belt have to do with knowing whether or not these new oil bathed ones will last as long as they claim? Yes, I imagine they will be messier and likely more costly to change than the traditional ones. The question is will they last long enough to counter that.

Ford claims it is a lifetime part. GM said the same about the fluid in the HHR auto transmission. I changed it at 100k anyway.

Traditional timing belts in Fords(and Toyotas, Hondas, and GMs) have a change interval of 90k to 100k miles. I expect the oil bathed belt to last longer than that. It has been used in Europe in some engines since 2008. Any mass premature failures should have reports about it.

If you simply don't trust Ford's life of the engine claim, that is fine. Just say so. Talk of tradition timing belts and material properties without specific evidence is just diversion.

2. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    "If you simply don't trust Ford's life of the engine claim, that is fine. Just say so. Talk of tradition timing belts and material properties without specific evidence is just diversion. "

Isn't this what I said in the first place. For any rubber or elastomeric belt sold by any manufacturer or supplier, the warranty is VOID if the belt is soaked in OIL.

Any so called "SUPER" rubber belt can't be any different.

I AM ending my contribution to this thread, since it is going NOWHERE!

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    But you never addressed what the oil bathed belt was made of. Regular belts are moving to nitrile, which has greater petroleum resistance, and is used in the petroleum product fuel system. It appears Ford is using HNBR for these belts, which has an excellent resistance to motor oil..

The claim isn't that it will last forever, but that it will last until the engine would normally die or require to be rebuilt.

4. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    $995 may be "more correct" but I've decided I rather spend $14,000 for the four-cylinder than ~16,500 for the three. My name's not King Troy so I don't need to spend 4-5 weeks' pay just to have power windows and cruise. :D Do you? ;)

5. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    P.S. By my calculation the three-cylinder car charges $995 extra for the engine (reasonable), $1000 for the cruise control (nuts), and $500 for the power windows (nuts again).... that's outrageously expensive.
    The four-cylinder car is significantly cheaper ($2500 cheaper).