1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ford ahead of Toyota?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Indyking, Jul 1, 2009.

1. dbacksfan

dbacksfan Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Here's some interesting news. The U.S. Department of Energy is loaning Ford $5.9 billion to upgrade some of their factories. The article goes on to say that Ford plans to invest $14 billion in advance technology vehicles in the next 7 years.

I consider this more of an investment than a bailout. I hope Ford doesn't disappoint us.

Ford, Nissan, Tesla Receive DOE Loans for EVs Environmental Leader Green Business, Sustainable Business, and Green Strategy News for Corporate Sustainability Executives

2. CAR4TWO

CAR4TWO New Member

Model:
    III
    Sales of the Ford Fusion were 18,561, a June sales record and up 26 percent versus a year ago. Ford Flex sales were 4,784, a record for any month since it hit dealerships in June 2008. Sales of the company's hybrid vehicles totaled 3,649, a June sales record and up 91 percent versus a year ago.

"Customers tell us they love our new products, and they're not holding back on their investments in higher series levels and top-shelf options.

Customers are showing us just how much they value the quality, fuel efficiency, safety and smart technology incorporated in our new product lineup. This is an exciting time for Ford, which has more new vehicles in the market this year than any other automaker" acording to Jim Farley, VP at Ford.

3. eddiehaskell

eddiehaskell Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Personally, I think the Corolla is just a wretched vehicle. I'm sure it's reliable, but other than that...yuck!!

4. equake

equake Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The FFH no doubt is a step ahead of its competitors. Its pricing is kinda high to appeal to a mass market. I believe there will be a shift of marketing for Toyota which will start to mainstream the prius while Ford will continue to serve and focus toward more Green and Fuel Efficient minded consumer. Sorta the evolution of the 2 cars lines.

My 2 cents

5. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Around here they are selling them quickly, but I've only seen 1 at each dealer in the area and I even checked in Charleston on the Ford site and there were not many on the ground. I'm just wondering if they'll hit 24,000 or if they are mainly directing them to specific target areas like Nissan did with the Altima

6. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've been trying to test drive a Flex and my dealer has not had one. My daughter was able to get a Fusion with the Moon and Tuen package, alloy wheels SYNC, etc for around $22K. I loved my TCH but at this price and the features an equivalent Camry did not look like it was even in the same class.

7. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm opposed to the bailouts, but once they went there I thought it unfair for Ford to have to compete with a government subsidized auto company. Interest and credit are tough right now and Ford can indeed use this. Hope there are no "strings" attached to the loan.

8. Indyking

Indyking Happy Hyundai owner...

I don't know... Indy, Chicago, Madison (WI)... it
    Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, here's how the Fusion Hybrid price match up with the Prius because I know some people are curious about this:

Loaded Fusion Hybrid with Sony premium sound system, heated leather seats, navigation, and remote start system: $32285-$1700 tax credit: $30585

Prius 4 with navigation and solar package: $30150

How do the 2 above compare?

Well, I had the pleasure to test both cars loaded, just like above, before I figured it would not make sense financially to me if I get any of the above (that’s why I narrowed down my options to Prius 2 or 3 vs. Jetta TDI).

So, the sound system in the Fusion is considerably better (12 speakers) than JBL premium, the leather quality appears MUCH better, the NAV system crushes the Prius NAV (really nice graphics with birds-eye-view), it has a 10 GB had (so you can actually store thousands of songs on it), Microsoft sync is really cool (you can actually go thru your IPod playlists or stored song playlists with voice commands), the back-up camera comes with reverse sensing system to detect those hidden objects not seen by the camera (may actually be useful in this case), auto-dimming mirror (not sure if Prius 4 has this?), 17 inches wheels, and my favorite: Blind Spot Detection System!!! Not to mention the luxury cabin and smoother and quieter ride of the Fusion. It’s really a impressive car, nicely done.

The Prius has the advantage of solar ventilation (really a cool idea but would not spend money on it being a Midwest resident), 10-15 higher MPG, and better reliability (although Ford is improving a lot and I think right now it is only behind Toyota and Honda, and maybe Nissan).

OK, I understand lots people buy the Prius because they enjoy its driving experience and are a loyal to it and I understand Toyota has the best reliability on the market right now. Besides, many people getting Prius 4 or above have their own reasons, so I’m not trying to offend anyone here, please. The difference in MPG between the 2 should not make that much financial difference for most drivers spending over 30K in a car.

I’m really trying hard to get my eyes used with the Prius appearance but I admit the Fusion style is really more what I like in terms of looks. It looks really beautiful. The Fusion hybrid in my opinion just blows the Prius 4 out of water in value given the features above. In my case, the 24K I’m paying for the Prius 3 was already a stretch as my intention was giving up my SUV for a brand new car that will save me lots at the pump given my short-coming 1K mile-per-week commute, so I’m really happy with my choice.

9. claridiva

claridiva New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ford is advertising their Fusion Hybrid as the most fuel-effecient mid-sized sedan at 41 MPG. I thought that the Prius was considered a mid-sized now so wouldn't that make Ford's claim false? I understand the differences in the quality of interior and ammenities offered by Ford, but that is irrelevant in determining this factor.

Well, I guess the Prius isn't considered a sedan, but rather a hatchback, so I guess that would qualify their claim. I probably just answered my own question! Nonetheless, I love my Prius, which is currently achieving 56 MPG!

10. tony2654

tony2654 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Heard lots of praises for Fusion's look, yet for me this is one utterly boring car. I no longer live in the US, but this car remembers me a lot of Ford Tempo, one of the all-time blandest cars ever mde. This is not to say that Ford can not design good-looking car, Mondeo for example looks real nice. But that so many consider Fusion as a good-looking car, is just beyond me. BTW, i also think Fusion looks quite bit like the previous Mondeo (2000-2007).

11. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I had X-Plan pricing so that Fusion would only cost me $28,500
    I still went with the Prius V

12. Indyking

Indyking Happy Hyundai owner...

I don't know... Indy, Chicago, Madison (WI)... it
    Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    what do you mean by X-plan pricing?

13. Midpack

Midpack Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just building on your comment, I agree with you. Ford really does seem to "get it" more than GM or Chrysler but Ford has a decent line up of cars only because the recession helped bring oil and gas prices down. And Toyota got caught rolling out more large vehicles. Had gas prices stayed up around $4/gal or more, I suspect Toyota and Honda would be doing much better relative to Ford or anyone else. Ford and the D3 got a reprieve due to lower gas prices, but hopefully they can see the writing on the wall and improve their smaller more fuel efficient offerings before gas prices move up substantially again. I don't believe gas prices will spike again this year or maybe even next, but I do believe it will happen within the next 5-6 years if not sooner. Fascinating to watch all this play out.

14. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    since a lot of my family works for Ford, i am also glad they have done well and like others here, i suspect a lot of that has to do with a reduced level of competition.

but more so, Ford has been the US hybrid leader. they have not done all they could to bash the technology and it shows. they have a great small SUV option and possibly one of the top mid size sedans.

but the key thing is simply the corporate attitude. taking responsibility, policing their own nice person. not looking for handouts, accepting the inevitable, making the tough choices and DOING IT!!!

i can't express enough how much admiration they have earned from me.

**edit**

as far as supplies goes. my Sister works for Ford and has been on a list for the Fusion Hybrid under the employee purchase program... to give you an idea on the expected demand. they have just notified her that she has gone from "estimated 12-15 month wait" to "suspended from employee purchase program indefinitely" which basically means that the wait list for employees to get one is expected to by more than 2 years.

now they did say that she could get in line with customers and buy one at the regular price. waiting list at her dealership in "only" 6-8 months.

also, now that i have the 2010, the Zenn and the SPM, was actually considering selling the SPM and getting the Escape hybrid until (was having sis buy for me to get the pretty LARGE employee discount) i found out that its also on an extended waiting list as well...

so basically, parts issues still seem to be holding down production

15. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's a little higher pricing than Employee Pricing (which I see may have been suspended in another posting). It's available to people in companies that have large dealings with Ford. Check with your HR people. We also have GM Partner pricing. At the time I looked I would have been able to get the X Plan pricing but the car they had in was black. Had it been white I may have jumped on it. I could have also gotten the paperwork done on it in time to get the $3400 tax credit, but since I had not seen one I just couldn't commit.

1 person likes this.
  16. ljbad4life

ljbad4life New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I must say I am happy that Ford is doing well. It seems like Ford was the only american car company to see the writing on the wall 2 years ago and took the appropriate actions.

To my understanding Ford doesn't pay toyota much money (if any at all) for the HSD because Ford holds a patent having to do with the transaxle that toyota uses for their hybrids.

Keep in mind that ford was not the only one to recieve funds from the DOE, nissan, tesla and toyota also received money.

17. 2010_Prius_Owner

2010_Prius_Owner New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I had been a Ford guy all my life. The cars were ok, got 13 years on the Ford Explorer XLT. I just got raked over the coals the last 2 years in repairs and the Gas cost of $100 a week.
    Major ticket Items I had to repair.
    Fuel Pump replaced at Ford Dealership = $860
    Alternator - pully - serpantine belt = $475
    AC fixed = $400
    new transmission = $2800
    new master cylinder, brake lines - calipers =$675
    Oxygen sensors every year at inspection to get check engine light off =$200
    Every time you take it in they charge $100 to hook up their computer to read the error code regardless if they fix it which is the ultimate frosting of my cookies!!!
    Instrument panal light cluster $80
    back break light over rear hatch $30
    Idler pulley and sepantine belt last year $375.
    Front door power locks just buzz don't work...
    It was living up to F.O.R.D. (Fix Or Repair Daily)
    I know it was getting old, but I had been putting up with Fords since the 1970s.
    and the charging $100 to plug in a module into the socket to read an error code was the straw that broke the camels back. Just was tired of getting gouged at the Ford Garage.
    So the Prius is my big experiment, lets see if Toyota is better?

18. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

Did these just start in the last two years? That means you got 11 years of good service???? What do you expect?

19. 2010_Prius_Owner

2010_Prius_Owner New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    not worth the hassle

20. rfruth

rfruth Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    sure hope you don't need to contact Toyota ...