1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ford Analyst: Hybrids bad for US economy

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Mar 28, 2006.

1. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Or maybe that public transportation or even Japanese cars are the insidious ruin of western civilization. The real retaliation for Hiroshima! Dogs and cats living together, war, famine, pestilence all because of Toyota! AIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! :rolleyes:

2. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    "Instead of merely giving directions after one says an "address" the next step ahead should be that of the car driving you to that destination without you having to steer, brake, slow-down or anything else."

Isn't this called "mass transit"...busses, trains, light-rail, etc.?

3. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There's no doubt that Toyota's doing good things but they're building cars. Much of what they're doing is pretty established stuff. The Atkinson cycle engine was invented in 1876! Where Toyota is distinguishing itself is in its process control and manufacturing improvements. They're ability of streamline they're processes, cut they're costs, and build a better product is great to see.

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    dude wrote that article because he's retired and relies on ford for his day to day living expenses. of course he wants ford to do well. how do we do well? we bash the competition with lies.

pfff.

i'm not gonna waste my time.

5. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Some people just can't make up their mind. On the one hand, hybrids are never going to be a mainstream because they make up such a small percentage and aren't selling well. Yet, somehow they are destroying the US economy.

I guess 2+2=5!

I agree, complete waste of time to even read.

6. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

Yeah... I skimmed it, and I felt like even that was a waste of time.

I think that people like this author have real trouble grasping what hybrid technology and the Prius is about...

The Prius and hybrid technology at the moment is all about "big picture." Hybrid technology, I believe, is about encouraging a long term trend toward greater efficiency, and embracing innovative technology to solve critical problems like emissions and fuel economy...

But his argument is a mix of "small picture" and "medium picture" kind of things... it'll save you a few thousand dollars, but it'll hurt the trade deficit.

Not necessarily FALSE, but missing the point. To me, it's about encouraging ALL car makers to change their ways in the long term... buying an import car may be a hit to the trade deficit, but in the long term, that's the kind of bitter medicine that the whole industry (especially domestics) need to cure what ails it...

I want to see competitive hybrids (or other better forms of alternative vehicles) from GM and Ford, but they simply don't make any that appeal to me just yet... buying a Prius sends them that message so that in the future, they might have something competitive with it.

7. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Exactly, why the hell can't Americans build hybrids?!? This line of reasoning doesn't make any sense. We can if we want to. Appearently the big three are too busy losing money to make hybrids. I just don't get it. Granted, I think this guy, like so many others of his ilk, are trying to put the brakes on hybrids so that Ford et al can play catch-up. What they oughta be doing is looking to PHEVs that can be made fairly cheaply and "functionally dislocate" the standard HEV. I'm not holding my breath.

8. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Seems like it may be a case of stalling for time. I am begining to suspect that is what this disinformation campaign is about.

Toyota took a gamble and developed Hybrid technology in spite of the naysayers of the 90's. They continued to learn, debug and refine it to the Prius II which has proven quite a success. Now Toyota is ready to incorporate this technology into all lines and will have generation 3 soon, while US manufacturers scramble to catch up. Many will be shaking the bugs out of their generation 1 by then. What to do? Lies and slander. Works for Rove & crew, might as well work for us.

9. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Ford web site says the Focus is made in Michigan and Hermosillo, Mexico. So if you're gonna wave the flag, both hands may be required.

10. SteveS

SteveS New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

Gasoline and Electric... mingling... causing a conglomerated... MONGREL class of vehicle... BOTH energy sources will be destroyed!

(apologies to those who don't understand the reference :))

11. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

"a German car concieved and designed by Adolf Hitler "

This is a very ignorant statement. The New Beetle was conceived and designed in Southern California in the 1990s, a time and place that Hitler never existed.

Even the old Beetle was conceived and designed by Ferdinand Porsche, not Hitler. Hitler siezed on Porsche's idea of a "people's car" and funded the development, but he neither conceived nor designed it.

12. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i'm glad i'm not alone when i say, i won't read the article.

the only way i could defend ford... they did develop their own hybrid system. it was soo much like toyotas that they had to buy the patent to not have to try to fight it in court.. so.. they have good engineers still.... but yeah.. their goals are a little off still... plus.. they are broke. o well.

My family used to drive fords. dad still does. good companies don't make trucks like the F350.

13. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tochatihu @ Mar 28 2006, 11:23 PM) [snapback]231725[/snapback]</div>
    :lol:

14. jplotinus

jplotinus New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(finman @ Mar 28 2006, 03:57 PM) [snapback]231535[/snapback]</div>
    Mass transit for one and one's designated passengers. Or, better still, it's a variation on the "HORSELESS CARRIAGE" theme of yore. Let's call it the "STEERINGWHEELESS CAR"

How's that?

15. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jplotinus @ Mar 30 2006, 03:39 PM) [snapback]232541[/snapback]</div>

It's called a 'Chauffeur' :)