1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ford annouces it will build Hybrid, Plug-In Hybrid, and Electric versions of Ford Focus

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Rybold, Apr 11, 2010.

1. wwest40

wwest40 Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    For intance, the Skyactiv system could run a CR of ~17:1 in Otto mode, low cylinder fills, and switch back to 14:1 for WOT.

2. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    You are quite right, you could build this beast at 17:1 native compression, but it would be in atkinson mode all of the time. This means you will spend more for the engine. If you want the power of that 17:1 you really need an intercooler which means you may be better off with a super charged or turbo charged engine that runs in the miller cycle. That 14:1 is about the best you can do with todays tech. Companies are working on DCCI which will allow higher compression rates.

Toyota doesn't really have enough valve adjustment in their shipping systems, but I'm sure they have them running in the lab. I don't know if they run into patent issues. Fiat and mazda have filed a great deal of patents on electronic valve control.

3. wwest40

wwest40 Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    If I remember(***) correctly the Lexus RX450h shop/repair manual indicates the intake valve timing change is as much as 120 degrees. That should certainly be enough to go from zero time delay for intake valve closing to 30% delay.

*** Not a subscriber currently.

I am not, have not, pretended that a compression ratio of 17:1 could be used in any state other than partial cylinder fills. Intake valve closing delay timing would of necessaty be used with increased throttle openings.