1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ford C Max Energi

Discussion in 'Ford/Lincoln Hybrids and EVs' started by namvijnas, Dec 1, 2013.

1. namvijnas

namvijnas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    We just got a C Max as a second car and I have to say the Prius V now looks and feels a decade old.

At 19 months+ the Prius V has been giving an average of about 40mpg mostly in city driving. I have noticed that city mpg are LOWER than highway for some reason. Not to mention the annoying creaks from driver and rear passenger side doors! It seems the plastic / rubber is already giving way. And this is CA weather, so not harsh!

But back to the CMAX
    Ford really seem to have a winner here. The tech is just mindblowing. In the same amount I paid for the Prius V ( have a 5) the C Max gives a tonne more features.. things that matter and make a difference to the everday commute. Things like ..
    -Very comfortable real leather seats which are heated and has a variable adjustment( unlike the Prius's roast your butt on/off)
    -Power adjustable seats ( ok this is not a must -have)
    -A very KICK nice person LED display module and center stack. Comparing the Prius to the CMAX is like an iphone 3GS to an Iphone 5!)
    - Rain sensing wipers!!
    - One touch 3 blink lane change blinkers
    - Side view mirros with blind spot mirrors, blinkers and night illumination lights
    - Sweet 6 or 7 color variable ambient lighting( this is a cool feature)
    - A center stack touch screen display with features that are miles ahead in both UI design as well as feature set from the Prius V's entune. I believe My Sync had some issues but with a new update thats been fixed. Nonetheless, the way the display works with 4 quadrants displaying all necessary info on one screen ( nav. entertainment phone and climate) is priceless while driving.
    - Dual zone Climate control ( really!)
    - Rear seats get their own vent
    And the engine is almost 50 odd HP more with the same mileage (42 combined).

And I could go on . Moreover, its a PLUGIN!!

Ok the Prius V wins in cargo space but for all the above and if the seats fold flat I would gladly forgo cargo space!

This ones a real contender. You should really check it out.

janice45 likes this.
  2. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Report back the fuel economy for your first few tanks.

I was looking at the CMax last year as well but drove off with the PiP because the Energi model wasn't available. Then there was the whole ruckus about Ford misleading consumers with inflated fuel economy on their Fusion and CMax models. That fancy iPhone 5 caliber MyFord Sync lowered Ford's reliability survey. My boss is trying to lemon law his Fusion because of the numerous bugs he has including not being able to change the climate control until 3 minutes after the car started. On the flip side Toyota's Entune is absolute garbage and buggy as well. Luckily, it's only in charge of audio and NAV.

Due to the above, I'm happy I didn't get either the Fusion or the CMax Energi. Still this PiP is a terrible driver's car. I hope Ford does better in their sophomore year with PHEV.

3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I found the CMax so nice I got two (twins). First, I got the SEL hybrid last spring (42mpg lifetime, 18k miles) and a couple of weeks ago, an Energi as there are great deals on the final 2013's that were too good to pass up.

My wife really liked the comfort and power and was always coming up with reasons to drive it and you know where that leads.:love: So, as a birthday/early Christmas present, she got it and I got an Energi (I do more city driving). Unintentionally, they are identical ruby reds with the 302a package.

If you are fine with Prius Gen II level fuel economy in hybrid mode but want more room, power, features, and comfort, you seriously owe it to yourself to test drive one.

milkman44 likes this.
  4. namvijnas

namvijnas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Rightly said. I had heard that but seems with the new changes to the system that's not a problem. Will look into that but so far everything seems to working exactly on spec. And you're right this is the 2nd year so hopefully all the previous bugs have been sorted! I'm glad that finally there is a real contender and one that actually looks feels and performs better.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you're comparing the wrong cars. did you drive a pip?

6. namvijnas

namvijnas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Haha! Seems I will be in that spot looking for reasons to drive my wife's cmax energi! It's just soo much better than my V!!

7. namvijnas

namvijnas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yeah we got a ruby red as well. Had gone to look at the ice storm but the ruby red was a stellar color. Love the Aston Martin-esque grille . And the 302a was what we wanted but the dealer had the 303a on the car so gave us a killer deal. Still waiting to check out the parallel park mode!

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Cmax is too small for my needs. but i don't need a V either. liftback is just right.

9. Makaru

Makaru Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    I had a CMAX for a week to try out. Mileage was disappointing in cold Canadian weather. Agree it has some plus features compared to prius, but I still get back to reliability. Ford just does not stack up in my opinion.

10. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I'm glad you are happy with your cars. So am I. We obviously value different things. And that is OK.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's why there are so many choices!(y)

12. ewxlt66

ewxlt66 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Let's see if the C-max pushes 200k relatives trouble free. I'm gonna doubt that. It's a Ford after all.

DianneWhitmire likes this.
  13. mmmodem

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've only had one Toyota make it to 200k relatively trouble free. I doubt either C-Max or Prius can accomplish this feat.

Turn off signatures in Tapatalk Tapatalk

14. ewxlt66

ewxlt66 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Seems to me to be pretty common here on Prius Chat.

15. PriusistingCondition

PriusistingCondition Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I was really set on buying a C-Max, I joined the forums, had everything selected, then I drove one. The Energi, as expected was heavy, the first use of the brakes was alarming and turning felt like a raft. I tried making some U-turns on wide streets and ended up settling for 3 point turns. The real deal killer was the feel of the steering wheel, it didn't match the well-appointed look of the rest of the interior, it felt like plastic with sharp seams. The dual zone climate was nice though.

I came upon the Prius v completely by chance, it just wasn't in my radar. It's only driven ~200 miles a month, but I really enjoy those 200 miles. :D

16. shawnpjh

shawnpjh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I almost bought an Energi. I had the deal ready and was about to sign. But it had too many scratches in the plastic piano-finishes. The cargo space was bad. Then the sinker was when I found out the battery is $8,500 to replace, not counting installation. I also see very few of them on the road in FL and am concerned resale will be horrible. The dealer is overloaded with 2013 models in Dec 2013 and Ford has said 2014 will only be a 9-month run.

I did find the Energi plenty peppy and fun to drive. I just can't stand the shiny scratch-prone finishes. I did appreciate they didn't put fabric on the doors like the Prius V - the part I hate the most about the Prius V interior, other than lack of enough accessory and USB ports, which were liberal in the Ford. Ford even had a regular 110v outlet for the rear passengers.

17. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I originally went with the cmax hybrid primarily due to the reduced cargo space but have found that the NRG handles our family of four weekly shopping trips just fine:

[​IMG]

and can still swallow large items too. There's an outdoor cooker and LP bottle in there too.

[​IMG]

Your comment on the battery price is meaningless as you won't pay for a battery replacement for at least 8 years or 10 if you live in a carb state. FUD on prius battery prices ($10k) have proven to be completely wrong.

18. shawnpjh

shawnpjh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The comment on battery price is not meaningless. If you keep your car 8 years and it goes bad at 8 years and 1 day, and needs a replacement, the estimated price today is $8500 for the battery + labor minus potentially a core fee for returning the old battery. The regular CMax battery is closer to the Prius pricing. Energi's battery is enormous and expensive. As dealers become wiser about hybrids, the battery cost and miles you've put on the vehicle will affect the trade-in value a lot more for an $8500 battery than a $2200 battery.

There's no spare tire or hidden space at all in CMax because it's all battery. Instead, you get a funnel (for the capless gas fill (which is a nice feature) and a can of fix-a-flat.

Cubic feet are cubic feet. Energi has less capacity than Prius V, a complaint in every review of it. I couldn't take my family on a long trip in the Energi if I want to still be able to see out my back window. For me, this was a mark on the negative column. Some may not care.

Again, I thought it was a fine car fun to drive with good power for a hybrid. You don't have to be offended I didn't choose to buy the car you did. I bought the one that I felt would have better resale and life for what I need it for.

The one good thing about the Energi is the dealer appeared a little desperate to move them. The deal I had, after the $3750 gov't rebate for a plug-in, put the Energi $750 less than the Prius V and it had a lot more features. They were knocking off right around $7,000 before gov't rebate.

19. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Again, you speak with certainty that the price will remain the same 8-10 years down the road. Also, car companies have been known to pro-rate high dollar parts that are just out of warranty or simply good will replace them. BTDT

You're new here so you probably don't realize that FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt) on battery prices has been used again the Prius (and priuschat members) for years. Gen I & II owners who are now experiencing battery failures have six courses of action: trade in vehicle for something else, sell a non-running vehicle, factory battery replacement in the $3-5k range (upper end by greedy dealers), buy a used battery from a salvage yard, swap in a "refurb" battery from the growing cottage industry, or repair the individual bad cells.

BTW, the current Energi tax credit is $4k and yes the year end clearance deals encouraged me into buying one. I added a hitch and cargo carrier to our other cmax hybrid so we have the extra capacity when we need it.

[​IMG]

Enjoy your v, it's a great car.

20. mmmodem

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've seen more posts of people on Priuschat with troubles before 200k than those who've made it. I'm biased because I don't like Toyotas so I admit I could be purposely clicking on people with trouble than those who made it.

Turn off signatures in Tapatalk Tapatalk