1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ford C-Max Hybrid maybe tested by the EPA

Discussion in 'Ford/Lincoln Hybrids and EVs' started by skwcrj, Nov 28, 2012.

1. skwcrj

skwcrj Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I got some information from the EPA that the EPA tested the 2013 Ford C-Max Energi thoroughly but they did not test the regular 2013 C-Max hybrid which is rated at 47/47/47. There have been some people who have been critical of these ratings and a number of articles written that question their validity so the EPA may do their own testing to confirm those results but that has not happened yet.

The Energi is rated at 44 City/ 41 Hwy/ 43 combined. Even though the Energi is 250 lbs heavier than the Hybrid, the Energi's numbers seem more in line with what most users are seein in the real world with the Hybrid. I wonder if the 47/47/47 will get revised? I hope this doesn't turn into a bad press episode like the Hyundai/Kia fiasco.

The story gets more interesting....

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    As an updated hybrid drivetrain using new battery chemistry, I would have figured the EPA would have tested the C-max or the Fusion hybrid.

3. acdii

acdii Active Member

Going to watch this one closely. Would be interesting to see if the 47/47/47 numbers did get fudged.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    why would ford not build a direct competitor to the prius, mpg wise?

5. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I doubt that Ford is fudging the numbers. It was obvious that EPA would test at least one of these cars or both. This is quite different than hyundai which seemed to be playing games with the numbers.

IIRC the phevs use the two cycle test, while hybrids use the 5 cycle test. Someone correct me if this is wrong. Both tests have fudge factors.

The weight should not materially impact the highway figure which is the one that changed the most - 47 hybrid, 41 energi. The city numbers could simply be weight and test differences. There are some real differences.

The energi is geared differently which may make the ice less efficient at higher speeds. This was done to extend the EV top speed to 85 mph.

The software is likely different with the hybrid more optimised for gentle accelerations that closely resemble the test, and the energi with its greater hp more likely optimised for cruise control and rougher accelerations.

The tests do not check changes in SOC, and I would suspect that changes in SOC are occurring.

Remember YMMV

6. skwcrj

skwcrj Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    All good points. I think that Ford created a vehicle that excels at the EPA test. Outside of the test... not important.

7. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yea, it appears to be the case. Ford out-engineered EPA test. Toyota out-engineered the real-world MPG.

8. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  9. skwcrj

skwcrj Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two