1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ford C Max, Prius killer?

Discussion in 'Ford/Lincoln Hybrids and EVs' started by UTBuckeye, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Collector

Collector Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Some interesting articles. Thanks for the links.

The review at AOL Autos says, regarding the C-Max Engeri Plug-In, "The gas motor does not recharge the battery. It just keeps the car going." I'm not sure that is really the case. If true it would be disappointing as it makes the car a non-hybrid as soon as the battery is depleted. I believe that is the same on the Volt.

2. jayhawksrule

jayhawksrule Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for posting the video review!! I'm probably going to buy one of these cars, but I sure don't know which one yet.

3. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What is the minimum amount of homework before reviewing/comparing cars?
    These two in the video did not even get the combined mileage of the Prius v right!

4. jayhawksrule

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    pricing doesn't sound 'aggresive' to me.

6. slcMPG

slcMPG Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    "A team of drivers from the media got an outstanding 60 mpg in a first drive "hyper-mile" competition with other media drive teams "

This site was pretty funny. I think if you knew what you were doing you could beat 60 easily.

7. jayhawksrule

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Another C-Max review, which reads as a comparison to the Prius V:

2013 Ford C-MAX Hybrid Review: Car Reviews

It's interesting how much spin there is in these reviews. This review is ostensible very pro-C-Max, even though:

- The C-Max only got 39 MPG when the reviewer drove it (and this review also misstates the V's actual MPG rating)

- The C-Max has both less storage and less convenient storage (due to the raised cargo area floor) than the V,

- The C-Max has grabby brakes, noted now in two reviews,

- and the My Touch Ford system is finicky and difficult to use, and inferior to Toyota's system.

The only metric where the C-Max is superior is accleration and perhaps general driving feel, although that may depend on preference.

8. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm starting to understand why Ford is pushing the C-Max as a competitor to the Prius V: Dollars and fuel economy. It really should be compared to the "standard" Prius (is it called the "Liftback" now?) in terms of size and price, but it never will achieve the fuel economy.

I'm somewhat disappointed. Even though I've seen many positive reviews of the C-Max, I was hoping for a car that would really push Toyota and other manufacturers. I was looking for a car to make the next major leap forward. I guess I'm hoping for a Volvo wagon sized car with a 50/50/50 MPG rating or a Prius C sized car with a 70/70/70 MPG rating. And the former for $30,000, the latter for $20,000. Am I asking too much?

9. jayhawksrule

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Put the Ford powertrain in the V, which weighs less and is more aerodynamic than the C-Max, and I think you have your 50 MPG wagon.

10. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Perhaps. One of the questions I have, though, is whether Ford's powertrain/vehicle combo is so tied to the EPA MPG rating guidelines that it performs to that test but not to the road. This will be borne out only by following the drivers. I know that my 2010 Prius (V w/ATP) has (slightly) outperformed the EPA ratings. Would the C-Max outperform its ratings if I were the driver?

Another question is whether the 2012/2013 Prius V and its cargo space and slightly wider beam provides more room for 5 adults and gear that does the Ford Fusion Hybrid. No doubt the Prius V has the cargo space, but does it have the shoulder/hip room for three high-school teenagers in the rear seat. I think the Fusion does, but I have to check its trunk size to see whether it has the cargo capacity I'm seeking. Right now, the fifth passenger may be more important that the cargo space.

11. UTBuckeye

UTBuckeye Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
  12. UTBuckeye

UTBuckeye Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    I would venture to say that the mpg would be better if they had not kept the ac running during photo shoots.

13. Dorian7

Dorian7 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
  14. fgp

fgp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
  15. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    First Competition

To be a "killer" of "Prius" as the article title implies, more criteria would need to be exceeded. The published claims hover a little too close to cherry-picking, rather than being a slam dunk.

C-Max is well thought out, a very good endorsement to the FULL hybrid design many of us have been endorsing for over a decade now. So, there's no problem at all acknowledging what Ford has delivered as companion worthy of helping to overcome the reign of traditional vehicles.

What I find fascinating is how the publicity for C-Max focuses on Prius v exclusively with detail but generically refers to Prius. That will establish a heightened awareness for both the Ford & Toyota products. It's a subtle approach to build the market rather than just garnish bragging rights. That's a dramatic difference from what we've seen from a certain other Detroit automaker.

I'm excited to see the field expanding, finally. The well-established reputation Prius has speaks for itself. So when offerings expand, consumers will have choices to consider. Their resulting education is priceless. In the meantime, I'm quite pleased with my 85 MPG average with the plug-in so far. More real-world data from owners will help us overcome the terrible rut the industry has been stuck in.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    honda insight II was the prius killer. wait, what? not?

snead_c likes this.
  17. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Its foolish to think of the c-max as a prius killer. It is a fuel efficient vehicle, but clearly ford is not taking on the prius head on.

Honda did, and they lost:( The c-max looks to be a much better vehicle than the insight. It has its own personality. But I don't think it was ever intended to be a prius killer. It does take some things from the prius play book. Great gas mileage, a unique look - no non-hybrid c-max in america, some quirkyness like the automatic lift gate. But there was no aerodynamic shaving or weight savings like the prius, no iconic look, or years of reputation. It may even outsell the prius v, but that is just the prius waggon - to be a prius killer you need to knock off the gen III liftback.

snead_c likes this.
  18. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    C-MAX hybrid appears to be a natural upgrade for Gen2 Prius owners. It has bigger interior, more power (110hp -> 188hp) and better fuel economy (46mpg -> 47mpg).

For the cons, the wheelbase is shorter, between the regular Prius and the c since C-MAX is based on the Focus platform. It weights over 600 lbs heavier than Gen2 Prius.

I am glad both Toyota and Ford are producing awesome full hybrids based on the power-split architecture.

snead_c likes this.
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i will be glad IF ford produces an awsome full hybrid. the taste is in the pudding. see me in 3 or 4 years.:)

20. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    It could be especially if they want something a little different.

Normally the disadvantage of a a shorter wheelbase is less interior space, but that is not the case because of the packaging of the c-max vs prius. Other changes will be handling, need to be taken as a package as well as the fords independent multilink suspension. Short wheelbase isn't really an advantage or disadvantage.

Weight affects handling, acceleration, and fuel economy. At least according to early reviews they took care of handling and acceleration versus a prius, so there is not a deficiency here. But the weight and worse aerodynamics do make its fuel economy worse than a prius c or prius liftback. Shoehorn the hsd and suspension into the prius liftback and it would likely get better fuel economy, acceleration, and handling. The lighter weight components like the aluminum hood help the Prius here.
    :) It is pretty far from attempting to be a prius killer though.