1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ford C-Max to Spawn a Prius-Fighting Family

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Rybold, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Not sure what you saying about the Taurus and TC there.
    The 3.5 ecoboost Taurus is only available with all wheel drive. I mentioned it because AWD pulls down fuel economy, and makes it difficult to judge if the engine is actually inefficient.

Do you have a source on the specifics of how the ecoboost operates? I'm not having much luck, and want to understand the why.

Does any manufacturer have a production DI engine with a 13:1 compression ratio? Ford's DI are 12:1 and Hyundai are 11.3:1.

Aren't non-DI turbo engines normally lower compression? I'm guessing the CR number only accounts for cylinder volume, and doesn't factor in the increased density of air entering with a turbo or supercharger.

2. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Just throwing in, fords ecoboost engines are efficient for their horsepower. There is a big difference in how they are tuned and the 2.0 ecoboost comes in variants between 200hp tuned for economy to 300hp tuned for performance. When you get to high horsepower on the turbos they start using lots of gas since they use rich mixtures not to overheat. The 1.6L ecoboost is going to get you better economy than the 2.5L duratec on the c-max, but I don't know which would be better in the hybrid.

Mazda and Ford share engines and mazda is coming out with a skyativ with compression of 14:1 on premium gas, ford will use a varient that gets 13:1 on regular gas. The atkinson cycle 2.5L duratec has an expansion ratio of 12.3:1 so standard is less, and ecoboost is 10:1.

The compression ratio is simple measurement. On a turbo there will be variable boost. There is leakage and this is higher at lower rpm, so compression is alwasys lower than stated at lower rpm on a normally aspirated engine.

1 person likes this.
  3. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

turbos and GDI are expensive technologies to add to already expensive hybrids.

4. evnow

evnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    One more news outlet that got the story wrong.

Ford introduced C-Max in Jan (Detroit auto show). The main story was - they were scrapping the ICE only C-Max 7 seater van. But that bit is hidden nicely in the press release.

C-Max Energi: Ford Scraps C-Max ICE, Promotes Energi, C-Max Hybrid

With a power split architecture similar to Prius - C-Max hybrid will compete directly with Prius v. Energi will compete with Volt & Plugin Prius. Then they have Focus EV against Leaf ...

1 person likes this.
  5. wwest40

wwest40 Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The top end HP of the V6 EcoBoost, if applied SOLELY to the front wheels, would result in INSTANT TC activation. Moving a significant level of that HP to the rear helps to alleviate instances of front wheelspin when....

The "effective" CR of the Ecoboost engine might well rise to 15-16:1 due to pre-compression and inter-cooling of the incoming air charge.

6. Sacto1549

Sacto1549 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It think the reason why Ford dropped the seven-seat C-Max wagon is the fact they were able to put that same seating configuration (foldable seat second row, occasional seating third row) of the Grand C-Max into the upcoming next-generation Escape small SUV. That would make the Grand C-Max superfluous for the North American market.

If I remember correctly, isn't Ford's hybrid drivetrain technology very similar to what Toyota developed for the Prius? If that's the case, the C-Max Hybrid and Energi PHEV could be serious competitors against the Prius--and the C-Max wouln't remind people of a "science experiment" car that the Prius looks like now.

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you seen pictures of the C-Max? It does resemble the Prius shape like most hybrids do. :) Put a Nascar-style template across the top and they are similar enough to qualify for the "science experiment look".

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

they already said reason was pricing - it would start at 26k for petrol and thats way to expensive compared to bigger mpvs in usa on sale today.

9. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Toshiba: To Supply Automotive Inverters For Ford's Hybrid Electric Vehicles - WSJ.com

10. billnchristy

billnchristy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    That C-max is the grand I believe, the new one looks like a giant Fiesta:

[​IMG]

11. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Well hey, who wouldn't way a giant Fiesta?!!!
    I heard the air bags are actually giant pinatas, full of candy! :D

And the lane-keep assist on the Focus, every time you start to veer out of your lane, has a loud Christopher Walkin voice that SHOUTS "FOCUS!!!". :D

(for the record, I like the Fiesta and Focus and I would buy either one. I'm not so sure about a giant Fiesta though. I guess I'd have to see it first)

12. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  13. rebenson

rebenson Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm looking forward to more options in fuel efficient cars, though I'm not looking to replace my 2010 Prius anytime soon!