1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Ford F-150 Lightning BEV - US$39,974*

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Georgina Rudkus, May 19, 2021.

1. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  2. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Wife's been waiting since first or second Model Y reservation date for her LR RWD 7 seater. Has been waiting since first day reservation for her Cybertruck tri-motor. Checked this out and the 300 mi range sounds dismal compared to the 500+ of the upcoming Cybertruck. I wish Ford had paid attention to the competition like they did when they made the C-MAX Energi. Actually convinced the wife to get one of those...

moto g(7) power ?

3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting.....
    VERY VERY interesting.
    FoMoCo has a reputation for democratizing new transportation tech, going back well over 100 years, and this may set them up for another hundred.

+++
    ...Doesn't look like an EV.
    ...FORD range guestimates are historically accurate.
    ...'Not-a-car' visibility.
    ...Tractor-pull show torque. Nearly adult sized tires, might actually be useable as a truck.
    ...Near real-world useable range at a "too good to believe" price - on par (on paper) with ICE trucks.
    ...Tesla'esque reservation system. "may" short-circuit the 15:1 up-optioned to base model ratio.

- - -
    ...It's a Ford, Al....
    ....Ford's range guestimate is pretty humble for a truck.
    ...Not quite as Loooong a lead time as Tesla, but still >1 year away from delivery.
    ...Prices are guestimates...no word on delivery fees. Yuge price jump to the bigger battery for only a modest range bump.
    ...Tesla'esque reservation system. "WON'T" short-circuit the 15:1 up-optioned to base model ratio.
    ...Citified truck. More likely to get more dirty on the inside than the outside.

Bottom Line:
    They'll sell every one that they build!
    Could be the first 'Android' version of the BEV......If they're as big a hit as the Blue Oval's pony 'not-a-car' then Teslas are about to get cheaper for the same reason that iPhones HAD to.

Good times for the EVangelists!! :cool:

#3 ETC(SS), May 19, 2021
    Last edited: May 20, 2021
    privilege and Zythryn like this.
  4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Commercial version: US$39,990
    XLT: $52,794

• Supercrew with 5.5ft bed only
    • 2,000lb payload (400lb in the frunk). 14.1cu ft. frunk
    • AC charge up to 19.2kW (80A)
    • 230-300 miles (depending on SR or LR)
    • CCS 150kW 15%-80% in 44 mins (SR) or 41 mins (LR). Not a typo. LR chargers faster apparently
    • Ford Mobile Charger can do 120/240V up to 32A

#4 Tideland Prius, May 20, 2021
  5. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    If you are not towing more than 100 miles that ford is a great value. I know lots of f150 drivers that are in that catagory. AWD for $33K after tax credits, its hard to believe they can make them for that, but they will sell a lot with the power take off, and huge frunk so you don't need lock boxes.

The 500 mile cybertruck is for a very different customer. Hopefully there is a big market for each.

2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Electric Pickup First Look: Shockingly Low Price, Mega Specs
    Would like it to have an air suspension option, but otherwise it sounds like an incredible truck. We won't know for sure until they are in production and people can test it.

#5 austingreen, May 20, 2021
    privilege, Trollbait and Zythryn like this.
  6. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    @ETC(SS) Regarding "democratizing new vehicle tech" that power your house feature definitely perked my interest!

moto g(7) power ?

7. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    @austingreen - Good points! Thank you.

I believe I need to fill in the gaps on why we were looking at a truck in the first place…. At the prospect of learning to drive at the time of the Cybertruck reveal our son was quite nervous about the idea. I guess scared of accidents, he thought of the idea to look into armored cars (for his safety). Low and behold the Cybertruck reveal presented an armored-like vehicle, (sans the broken windows), and I guess he fell in love. (Actual retrofitted armored vehicles are by far not cheap, even the used market which I then researched). Now about him, he’s a good boy, always proud of him with his performance in school, got a 1540 SAT just as he was entering 8th grade... His mom said $100 refundable deposit no brainer, signed right up for the cream of the crop.

It will be interesting to see how Ford’s self driving compares, something that I dream of after my at fault totaling of an Alfa Romeo Giulia in 2019…. Whether my wife actually goes through with the purchase of the Cybertruck, or any truck by that matter, is a big question mark. My son has since turned to preferring more economical used cars, driving school recommends sharing at first, then a late model used mid size sedan. So I think I’m the only one left rooting for it. The positive hope being it may come before the Y, and I believe my wife would like something to replace her expiring (red) Carpool sticker.

Regarding range the 500+ mi of the Cybertruck is really A LOT. I think most of the time it would not be used. I don’t think we usually get 300 mi in a week especially now with COVID. But since we are used to the 5 minute fill-up of gassers charging when convenient 500 mi would give more flexibility….

Regarding price the tax credit gives Ford a huge advantage. Luckily that money comes out of taxes and not from Ford’s pocket. (I’m really hurting with F stock down in the $5 range last time I checked and I bought at around $20). I did see pricing can go up to $90k? That’s really a lot for 300 mi range vs $70k for the Cybertruck top of the line. Gonna have to compare more details….

Trollbait and austingreen like this.
  8. Prim.e.xample

Prim.e.xample Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    F stock has crept back up to around $12. Sorry you bought at $20!

I can’t believe the price of vehicles though. $50,000 is too salty IMO unless it’s spectacular. maybe once the market readjusts after the chip shortage. I also guess we are talking American cars where they take $7,000 off without blinking.

9. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Trucks can be $100,000 now days

More than likely this Ford will be 100% compliance and it’s range will be 100 miles when towing

We are lucky Ford has gotten the range as high as it is, the original battery size would have been a paultry 160mile affair

10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    A welcome addition to EV options. So where is my EV MicroBus?

Bob Wilson

TGrracie likes this.
  11. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's an excellent point, as is the fact that there are a LOT of boat owners who live 75-100 miles from the coast, a river, or lake.
    ANOTHER great opportunity for EVangelicals!
    This means that the somewhat humble range is actually semi-impressive when you consider that the battery pack is pushing a body that pretty much gives wind resistance the middle finger.
    The front trunk obviously obviates the need for a tool box.

We'll see what the muddy tire set has to say about it.
    Trucks have long been the most expensive 'cars' on almost every new car lot.
    HOWEVER (comma!)
    Those trucks usually report to their first duty station on a farm, ranch, or at a construction site.

Electro-trucks might be well suited for the latter.

There are MANY MANY people living in double-wide trailers that drive trucks with "Super Duty" stamped onto them with $75,000 price tags, with a $40,000 boat under a carport.

They'll have to put different tires on em, but I suspect that this new urban assault vehicle could be adapted to yanking a bass boat out of Lake Whatchamacallit.
    .....Towing a Jayco trailer two states away is going to require a little more technology maturation.......but then....FoMoCo's FIRST purpose-built truck, the 1917 Ford Model TT wouldn't have been able to do it either.

They got the "hard part" out of the way.
    They "talked about it"

Now?
    Let's see what they DO.

#11 ETC(SS), May 20, 2021
  12. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    chelvis likes this.
  13. Pepperglove

Pepperglove New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  14. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I may be one of those drivers.

Last week when I couldn't find the key fob I began my lecture to my family on how important it is to put the fobs up in the community container so the next driver who needs the vehicle can then find them- only to realize at the end of my lecture that I had left the fob in my pickleball racket cover.

My wife and daughters have become experts at eye rolls.

#15 John321, May 20, 2021
    Prodigyplace likes this.
  15. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Daughters are good like that.
    It's part of the pass-down from their moms.

Owing to my shortcomings as a father and husband, the ladies in my life all drive Apples.....which means that I had to give up "smart" phones a few years back....but there ARE advantages.

If you're similarly disadvantaged......get some of THESE for the keyhcains in your life.

[​IMG]
    They come in a 4-pack, and if you're a vet or educator they offer a 10% discount.

Don't use the OEM fob.

16. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I went to the website of a local Ford dealer.
    The MSRP of the cheapest F150 on their lot was $48,670.
    The F150 is, as I recall, the highest selling model in the USA... by a lot.

Trucks are not cheap.
    Trucks are very popular.
    I am very happy to see Ford making an electric truck.

I hope they will build them in quantity, and not just for compliance purposes.

austingreen likes this.
  17. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    They might work well for the farm too. Saw a comment about how they would never have to leave the farm once the charger is in place.

I don't see the destination charge being different from what they already charge for trucks.

18. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Sounds interesting except for two fatal flaws:

It's a pickup truck.
    It's a Ford.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  19. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Long ago, there was a cartoon when Ford was about to release the Excursion. I saved it because I thought it was brilliant. I've highlighted a section for your son:

Road Has A New Hog

By DAVE BARRY

Cartoon by Jeff MacNelly

If there's one thing this nation needs, it's bigger cars. That's why I'm excited that Ford is coming out with a new mound o' metal that will offer consumers even more total road-squatting mass than the current leader in the humongous-car category, the popular Chevrolet Suburban Subdivision -- the first passenger automobile designed to be, right off the assembly line, visible from the Moon.

I don't know what the new Ford will be called. Probably something like the ``Ford Untamed Wilderness Adventure.'' In the TV commercials, it will be shown splashing through rivers, charging up rocky mountainsides, swinging on vines, diving off cliffs, racing through the surf and fighting giant sharks hundreds of feet beneath the ocean surface -- all the daredevil things that cars do in Sport Utility Vehicle Commercial World, where nobody ever drives on an actual road. In fact, the interstate highways in Sport Utility Vehicle Commercial World, having been abandoned by humans, are teeming with deer, squirrels, birds and other wildlife species that have fled from the forest to avoid being run over by nature-seekers in multi-ton vehicles barreling through the underbrush at 50 miles per hour.

In the real world, of course, nobody drives Sport Utility Vehicles in the forest, because when you have paid upwards of $40,000 for a transportation investment, the last thing you want is squirrels pooping on it. No, if you want a practical ``off-road'' vehicle, you get yourself a 1973 American Motors Gremlin, which combines the advantage of not being worth worrying about with the advantage of being so ugly that poisonous snakes flee from it in terror.

In the real world, what people mainly do with their Sport Utility Vehicles, as far as I can tell, is try to maneuver them into and out of parking spaces. I base this statement on my local supermarket, where many of the upscale patrons drive Chevrolet Subdivisions. I've noticed that these people often purchase just a couple of items -- maybe a bottle of diet water and a two-ounce package of low-fat dried carrot shreds -- which they put into the back of their Subdivisions, which have approximately the same cargo capacity, in cubic feet, as Finland. This means there is plenty of room left over back there in case, on the way home, these people decide to pick up something else, such as a herd of bison.

Then comes the scary part: getting the Subdivision out of the parking space. This is a challenge, because the driver apparently cannot, while sitting in the driver's seat, see all the way to either end of the vehicle. I drive a compact car, and on a number of occasions I have found myself trapped behind a Subdivision backing directly toward me, its massive metal butt looming high over my head, making me feel like a Tokyo pedestrian looking up at Godzilla.

I've tried honking my horn, but the Subdivision drivers can't hear me, because they're always talking on cellular phones the size of Chiclets (``The Bigger Your Car, The Smaller Your Phone,'' that is their motto). I don't know who they're talking to. Maybe they're negotiating with their bison suppliers. Or maybe they're trying to contact somebody in the same area code as the rear ends of their cars, so they can find out what's going on back there. All I know is, I'm thinking of carrying marine flares, so I can fire them into the air as a warning to Subdivision drivers that they're about to run me over. Although frankly I'm not sure they'd care if they did. A big reason why they bought a Sport Utility Vehicle is ``safety,'' in the sense of, ``you, personally, will be safe, although every now and then you may have to clean the remains of other motorists out of your wheel wells.''

Anyway, now we have the new Ford, which will be even larger than the Subdivision, which I imagine means it will have separate decks for the various classes of passengers, and possibly, way up in front by the hood ornament, Leonardo DiCaprio showing Kate Winslet how to fly. I can't wait until one of these babies wheels into my supermarket parking lot. Other motorists and pedestrians will try to flee in terror, but they'll be sucked in by the Ford's powerful gravitational field and become stuck to its massive sides like so many refrigerator magnets. They won't be noticed, however, by the Ford's driver, who will be busy whacking at the side of his or her head, trying to dislodge his or her new cell phone, which is the size of a single grain of rice and has fallen deep into his or her ear canal.

And it will not stop there. This is America, darn it, and Chevrolet is not about to just sit by and watch Ford walk away with the coveted title of Least Sane Motor Vehicle. No, cars will keep getting bigger: I see a time, not too far from now, when upscale suburbanites will haul their overdue movies back to the video-rental store in full-size, 18-wheel tractor-trailers with names like The Vagabond. It will be a proud time for all Americans, a time for us to cheer for our country. We should cheer loud, because we'll be hard to hear, inside the wheel wells.

Valiant V and jzchen like this.