1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Ford hits the brakes on $12 billion in EV spending because EVs are too expensive

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Gokhan, Oct 27, 2023.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    New chemistries can allow physically smaller batteries, but the capacity won't change much from the large battery. In the context of @hill's statement, they are the same size.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup. I’ve seen a number around here. Both as service vans and as courier vans.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup. I’ve seen a number around here. Both as service vans and as courier vans.

5. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Ford will postpone about $12 billion in EV investment

Never trust the verge for financial news. I believe ford is postponing not canceling $12B out the the $50B investment. This coincides with a much bigger contract with UAW, and the UAW doesn't want ford to move as fast in electric vehicles because they fear fewer jobs per car.

The loss on the e-unit according to CNBC is about what analysts were predicting this year. The big selling the f150 lightning needs to finish its improvements. Its hard to push and compete directly with tesla.

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Looks like Chrysler Dodge Fiat Stelantis is going to be entering the fray real soon - both an ev version AND this - a plug-in that runs electric like the i3. (i see 2 fuel doors)

IMG_20231108_175637.jpg

https://ramrev.com/

14,000 Lb towing

seems we DO love the pickups

7. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    These already heavy vehicles - pickups and midsize and up SUVs can benefit the most from electrification. They typically have powerful engines that can be downsized and made more efficient in a phev, or replaced in a bev. The transition will take time and with the new contract the foreign owned automakers and tesla have the advantage of non union plants. Ford's cost of labor just went up versus tesla which makes competing harder. There is enough experience in the pick up truck markets and profitability that stalantis, ford, and gm can win with phevs and bevs there.

hill likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Meanwhile, CT will eat up market share, and when legacy makers finally start producing, Wall Street will claim Tesla is in trouble

9. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Given those UAW contracts and the tight labor market, how long can Tesla continue its current pay scale?

10. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Given those UAW contracts and the tight labor market, how long can Tesla continue its current pay scale?

11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    to be sure ... if ANY manufacturers pay scale doesn't cut the mustard people move over to the better paying company. It's a principle as old as time. At that junction the lower paying company has to jack up their wages - or - offer other better incentives such as supplemental retirement medical, higher percentage 401K contributions Etc.

#31 hill, Nov 9, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2023
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Shouldn’t be a problem, they’re already competing well with competitors that have received union benefits forever.
    And foreign makers will have the same problem if they start building here for the federal incentives

13. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Not long in california, but I expect if they have trouble they will move the jobs to Austin, Berlin, and Shanghai. The job market is tight here, but they like the toyota truck plant in texas likely can be cheaper than the UAW plants. I doubt people want to move from texas to michigan, even if the salary is higher. I doubt the UAW will create many jobs, but they may try to get the toyota, bmw, tesla,vw, etc plants to unionize.

No foreign maker in the US uses UAW labor. The big difference was benefit costs for union jobs. The new contract adds a higher salary too.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no, but they'll have to compete for workers with just as the current non uaw shops do

15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Doesn't Ford have manufacturing just across the southern border?

#35 hill, Nov 9, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2023
  16. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Pay is for employee retention. When it is cheaper to flip burgers or run a lawn care service, they are gone.

Bob Wilson

17. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    They do, but the cost of state govs shutting down the border is now a factor.

I believe most of their EV production is in the US, and building the battery plants here is insulation against changes to incentive requirements on that front.

18. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The new UAW contract goes quickly to $40/hrs which with overtime and bonuses or around $90K/year + benefits for non collage workers. Tesla pays its line workers around $25/hr which workes out to around $61/hr with benefits. Top is $37/hr instead of $40/hr, but less benefits. In the past stock options and employee stock purchase plans had tesla workers making far more than their UAW counterparts. The big difference is also work rules, UAW work rules favor seniority and and are inflexible. Tesla and toyota have flexible work rules which are worse for older workers and workers that can't learn new skills, but better for younger workers, highly skilled workers, and quick learning workers. I can't see many new job openings in the big 3 that would get the better toyota or tesla workers in Texas to move up there. Tesla and toyota have much better jobs than flipping burgers, but those rates are rising fast as adults don't like getting treated badly in those jobs. Would you rather say I build cars for toyota or tesla or I flip burgers for mcDonalds? The contract may put pressure on them to unionize, which I think won't result in a union or higher benefits, but could be better hourly pay and better quality of work. Still its going to take ford or gm hour labor hours and more benefits to build an EV that the union and dealers don't really want.

The new contract is good for auto workers across the industry, including UAW foreign owned and tesla plants. I don't think it will hurt US makers in Trucks and midsize to large SUVs. It may hurt them in cars but they aren't selling that many anyway. The place where it will hurt the most is in compact suvs and crossovers like the rav4 and model Y.

19. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't know, but probably just as long as Ford/GM/etc can continue letting strategic management decisions be dictated by the UAW

Mike

hill likes this.
  20. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ford CEO says company will rethink where it builds vehicles after last year's autoworkers strike (msn.com)

General Motors to cut 1,300 workers across two factories | CNN Business

Is there anyone who didn't see this coming?

Another case of the UAW cutting off its nose to spite its face.

Have others noticed UAW's President Fain's promise to unionize the American Transplants -Hyundai, Nissan, KIA, Toyota, Subaru, etc as well as Tesla is a complete disaster for the UAW and not one has been organized?

#40 John321, Feb 18, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2024
    austingreen likes this.