1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ford in blatant lie

Discussion in 'Ford/Lincoln Hybrids and EVs' started by codybigdog123, Jan 16, 2010.

1. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm...I live in the suburbs of the biggest city within my state, so maybe that makes a little difference. Infact where I live, there are huge numbers of Prius Owners.

Do you really believe there is a "large" population that doesn't have a clue what a hybrid is? I would of agreed, maybe as few as 3-4 years ago, but I think with a million Prius sold in North America, people are much more familiar with at least the rudimentary idea of what a Hybrid is.

My experience with friends and co-workers, is that among the unmotivated to know, there are still misconceptions. I was recently at a Christmas Party where when I explained I was considering a Prius the wife of a friend of mine warned me that I'd have to replace the battery in 5 years at HUGE expense. She also wasn't too versed on the realities of HSD. BUT she did at least know what a hybrid was, she knew it was a automobile that used electric motors and batteries combined with an ICE to improve gas mileage and emissions.

So I think the majority isn't "clueless" anymore, even if misconceptions among the uninitiated still exist.

I

2. Ophbalance

Ophbalance Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you were to say 'currently being produced', I would agree with that statement... however, the original Insight is more than capable of doing better than the Prius in most driving situations. So, to say it is the highest MPG of any hybrid sold, I'd say the Insight I still holds that mantle to date.

3. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, but as you point out the "Original Insight" isn't being sold. You can add "current" to the phraseology if you wish but I don't think it matters. Most people instantly understand that most companies don't advertise products that aren't being currently sold.

I'll get back to you if Honda starts running commercials exclaiming they "Use to Have" the highest mileage Hybrid available.

I don't think pointing out that we are talking about currently being produced, "new" products is even needed. That's taken for granted in modern television advertising. I haven't seen an ad for a 2001 Honda Insight lately nor a 1976 AMC Pacer.

4. Ophbalance

Ophbalance Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    See, I think our definition of 'commercially available' differs. The Insight I was produced up to 2006, only four years ago. You can still find them, albeit on a used lot, but so can you too buy a used Prius. If I didn't need to haul more than just me around, I probably would have tracked one down (and close to the price I paid for my 2005 Prius). Commercially available means 'any vehicle sold to date' not 'current vehicles in production'.

I also find it ironic that we're having a sub semantics word battle within a semantics word battle thread ;).

5. GreenGuy33

GreenGuy33 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I do believe that. The first question I still get from people is "do you have to plug it in?"
    I certainly don't have any stats, but a lot of people still don't understand how a hybrid works.

6. Organik

Organik New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius won for me based on MPG. I really really wanted to buy an American car, more specifically an EV, and was on the waiting list for an Aptera for that reason. But, it seems corporate greed has gotten to that company without the first vehicle rolling off the line. Toyota Prius is well established at this point as the most efficient mass produced vehicle on the road. And all the components are there for it to become a full-fledged EV, in time.

7. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Peace, no harm, no foul.

But yes, I think our definition of commercially available does differ. But it's all inmaterial in light of this thread. People do know that manufacturers be it Ford, Honda, or Toyota aren't advertising products they aren't currently offering commercially.

In 2010 Honda isn't going to run a commercial saying "Go find yourself a nice 2006 Honda Insight....it "use" to be the highest MPG Hybrid available. That just isn't how it works.

Yes, the 1st generation Insight got (past tense) great gas mileage. But no, by my definition it is no longer a commercially available product as it is no longer being produced.

Can I go buy one used? Yes certainly. I could go buy a Gas Free Stanley Steamer if I looked hard enough.

But this thread is about current products and current advertising.

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It is made in Hermosillo, Mexico.

9. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's interesting to me. Maybe I just live in a very Prius friendly, compatible zone. In my neighborhood, there's got to be one at least every 3-4 blocks.

I don't doubt you, but I am suprised that at this point in time people would still be clueless.

I hate Toyota's latest commercials but they were popular. I think the main one mentions 50mpg....you'd think that would be a clue to most that it runs at least in part on gas.

It might just be that outside of Prius Chat and for a lot of people if they aren't paying attention to alternative automobiles and Hybrids and/or gas prices....they probably just don't care. The Prius and Hybrids have made great strides but I guess those that don't care, or don't care to care probably just let the information float on by.

Are you ever tempted just to really misinform people? After about the 5th or 6th time someone asked me if I had to plug it in, I think I'd be tempted to say "No, it runs on gas and a battery, plus a HSD spring that I wind every night with a big key.". If they buy it, then you just know you are dealing with idiots.

10. Tom183

Tom183 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I believe the Fusion is actually in the full-size category with a curb weight of 3700lbs. Mid-size is between 3000-3500lbs (the Insight is technically a compact at 2700lbs.)

Expect to see more lawyer's tricks which are letter-true but also obscenely deceptive. Truth in advertising died a decade ago.

11. geognerd

geognerd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Weight has absolutely nothing to do with size class. The size class is determined by the interior volume.

1 person likes this.
  12. Tom183

Tom183 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That's why they didn't say "Made in the USA". Mexico is in America - North America. :lol:

There was a story in the news several years ago where a clothing manufacturer was using "Made in USA" on their product, but the letters were an abbreviation for somewhere else. It wasn't until they were sued that they stopped using those labels.

13. Tom183

Tom183 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    In some contexts, yes (thus providing the lawyers/marketers with yet another loophole to slither through) - but for crash testing, I believe the categories are by weight.

I guess a better way of saying it is that the Fusion has the room of a mid-size with the weight of a full-size - no wonder the mileage is 25% worse than the Prius... :eek:

14. vegasjetskier

vegasjetskier New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I like the GM ad where they question Toyota as the best mileage carmaker in America by picking certain vehicles out of their lineup to compare to certain vehicles by Toyota while ignoring CAFE and other vehicles that both companies make (the Prius is conspicuously absent). Here's the ad (copy and past to your browser since I can't post URLs yet): youtube.com/watch?v=86jzopSR7hM

15. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The standard solution for this is not lawsuit, but confiscation by Customs at the port.

16. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I don't know why the OP was so upset about.
    Is that the very 1st time you heard a "lie" on TV commercial?

Besides, Ford says "sedan". By my definition (and many others'), Prius is a "hatchback", not a sedan. Both are mid-sized, so that is not the point of focus here.
    If Toyota comes back and says "Most fuel efficient mid-size vehicle in USA", Toyota would be correct also. Only customers would be confused, but who care.
    Nowadays, customers are bombarded with tons of commercials. They are always in a state of confusion anyway.

17. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Totally agree.

I am not sure why so many insists on Prius is a mid-size "SEDAN".
    Repeat after me, Prius is a mid-size "HATCHBACK".
    Case closed.

18. vegasjetskier

vegasjetskier New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just saw the Ford ad during the playoff game. In the tiny print under the claim of "Most Fuel Efficient Midsize Sedan" it says "EPA-estimated 23 city/34 highway, combined 27 mpg, Fusion S, I-4 automatic. Midsize class per R.L. Polk & Co. Non-hybrid." Then at the end of the ad when they claim it's the Motor Trend Car of the Year it shows "The 2010 Fusion +Hybrid" for a second. It makes it seem that the Fusion +Hybrid is the most fuel efficient midsize sedan when what they are really comparing are non-hybrid midsized sedans. Very misleading. Boo Ford!! :mad:

19. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ha ha - yeah, the other day I valet parked at my office building. When I went to pick up the car, the attendant says, "You have the electric car, right?" (Actually, I didn't understand immediately because of his very heavy accent - but then I figured it out.)

20. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This is the key. I noticed the same thing in the fine print at the end of the ad. It's amazing how much more of the fine print I notice with my 52" HD DLP television. :)

Tom