1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ford Issues MyTouch Fix; Is Entune Just As Bad?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by ggood, Mar 6, 2012.

1. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/06/business/after-ratings-drop-ford-reworks-touch-screens.html?_r=1

"Now Ford has issued a major upgrade that redesigns much of what customers see on the screen and tries to resolve complaints about the system crashing or rebooting while the vehicle is being driven. Ford said on Monday that the upgrade made the touch screens respond to commands more quickly, improved voice recognition capabilities and simplified a design that some say had the potential to create more distractions for drivers who tried to use it on the road. Fonts and buttons on the screen have been enlarged, and the layouts of more than 1,000 screens have been revamped.

“We expect that these improvements will put us back on track in the quality ratings,†said Derrick Kuzak, Ford’s group vice president for global product development. “It’s more than just an update. This is a substantial upgrade.â€

Ford is taking the unusual step of sending the upgrade directly to customers, who can install the new software in about an hour by plugging in a USB flash drive."

MyTouch is a Microsoft collaboration, just like Entune. Given the similar complaints I've seen regarding Entune unreliability and complexity, I'm wondering if anyone has tried both and found them equally wanting?

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    We've had our Fusion Hybrid with MyFord Touch for more than a year and I don't have a single complaint. It's never crashed, I don't think it's distracting and the navigation is intuitive and easy. In fact, I hold up MyFord Touch to Toyota as an example of what I wish the Prius interface looked like.

In my opinion, those complaints about distraction are no different than those same complaints about the Prius Energy screen. And those who find the functions hard to navigate might also find it difficult to set a series recording on TiVo.

I've seen photos of the new system and currently doubt that I will upgrade my car.

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Sis claims a lot of 2012's are having pairing issues with i phones even after the software flash. stay tuned, more at 11

4. Dog Face

Dog Face New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Slightly off topic, but I think I finally figured out how to make Entune work with my iPhone. Try disabling wifi on your phone before you connect it to the USB. I think a main reason the connection is so unreliable is because every time your phone senses a wireless network that it tries to connect to, it interrupts the data-plan connection. Prior to trying this approach, Entune would work about 10% of the time. Now it seems fine.

Of course it's a pain in the a$$ to have to add yet another step to the already burdensome process of connecting to Entune. (Disable wifi, connect iphone to usb, open entune app on phone, turn on car, select "apps" on nav screen, wait for connection, and you're finally ready to go).

5. kstephens

kstephens New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I honestly have not had an issue with entune (2012 3, Iphone 4). I connect USB and it connects fine - most of the time. On occasion I have to manually open the entune app on the phone to re-establish a connection, but most of the time I am prompted either after a start with the phone connected - or plugging in while running "use this phone to connect to the internet?" and everything works fine from there. I don't have to disable wi-fi.

My kids are enjoying the kid channels on Pandora. Thankfully, I am grandfathered in with ATT for a true unlimited data plan.

1 person likes this.
  6. Big Steve

Big Steve ramblin wreck

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four

7. shrktank

shrktank New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three

8. AZGeek

AZGeek Semi-informed Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I just went out and tried to program my TiVo through the NAV unit with no success...:p