1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ford maverick - Anyone else skeptical about Ford's "40 MPG in the city" claim?

Discussion in 'Ford/Lincoln Hybrids and EVs' started by farmecologist, Sep 23, 2021.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    With the 7.2kW, the hybrid used a little over 3 gallons of gas to charge a Model 3 for 30% to 90% in under 3 hrs, and make the 1 mile round trip to and from the gas station. I think the 2kW system could be close to the little generators. While it is a relatively huge engine, it will only fire up to charge the 1.5kW traction pack, like a Prius in traffic.
    https://www.evpulse.com/features/for-science-fuel-consumption-of-the-7-2-kw-pro-power-onboard-generator-in-the-2021-ford-f-150-hybrid

The article claims it was quieter than those small generators. It will definitely pollute less.

How did he do compared to EPA in his old ride?

Rmay635703 and swavescatter like this.
  2. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    He dove a BMW SUV...He frankly doesn't care about MPG in either vehicle. (y)

However, he has a passing interest in his F150 hybrid because it is his first hybrid. So far he likes he truck overall...but isn't impressed with the hybrid system.

3. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It isn't the hybrid system, it's the fact it is mated to one of the most powerful gas engines the truck can have. The early Highlander and RX hybrids weren't real impressive for the same reason. They are power hybrids.

Without the hybrid system, the F150 EPA rating with the 3.5L turbo is 7 to 8 MPG lower for city, and 4 to 5 MPG lower for combined.

4. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II

Yeah...but he at least expected to achieve EPA...after hearing 'good things' about hybrids ( mostly from me...(y) ). Unfortunately, it ain't happening for him.

Ok then...the 'hybrid system' isn't mated well to the engine. However, I consider the engine part of the 'hybrid system'....since it all functions as a single unit. :whistle:

5. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Well, if he ain't getting EPA from his other cars, he ain't likely to get it from a hybrid.

You could also say the engine and transmission of a non-hybrid are just one system. The Corolla hybrid in Europe is available with a 1.8L or 2.0L engine. The rest of the system is the same. From what I can tell, the F150 hybrid has the same 3.5L Ecoboost as the non-hybrid, except Ford calls the hybrid Powerboost.

6. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    It’s not like there haven’t been poorly sorted hybrids before.

A turbo charged hybrid sounds like a total failure as well as an expensive waste of money.

If Ford wanted it to do better they should have sourced a naturally aspirated engine and preferably kept an Atkinson cycle even if it meant a 4.2-5 liter NA.

The hybrid aspect makes up for the lower power making the turbo redundant and wasteful

7. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Full parallel hybrids are still new. At least ones trying to do more than get better fuel economy.

GM's two-mode hybrids were mated to a NA Atkinson 6L V8. Efficiency wise, it isn't much better than the non-hybrid Ford. And maybe it is the power-split system, but those GM's tow ratings were half that of the F150 hybrid's, when the GM's came out before the SAE's tow rating standard dropped the numbers for anybody using it.

Ford didn't just want a fuel efficient truck. Customers that want that, buy the 2.7L turbo. They could have mated the hybrid motor to that, but the power would less than the V8. The 3.5L turbo beats the V8 on power and efficiency. Designing a new engine for the hybrid would just increase costs.

Motors make a lot of torque, but it is all down in the low rpms. Unless a hybrid truck's motor is oversized, the power for towing and hauling at highway speeds is going to come from the engine.

The approach Ford took with the F150 hybrid is the same one Toyota is taking with the new Tundra hybrid.

8. privilege

privilege Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    most truck owners are much less mpg than the EPA suggestions. it covers mostly from very bad driving habits like accelerating way too hard from every stop light, following too closely, stabbing the brakes and accelerator constantly instead of being smooth... it wouldn't surprise me at all to see review videos of guys complaining their new hybrid got WORSE fuel economy than a regular v8... middle because they're standing on the accelerator at every opportunity, because it's actually fun in the hybrid vs another boring V8.

9. privilege

privilege Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    did he get the generator package ?

I've of my friends is getting the generator package, if ever comes in.

I don't know what the proper name is