1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ford Opens Ordering for Electric Focus : $39,995

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by evnow, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    +1
    Heating the battery while it charges allows it to take in its full charge. The temperature control also plays a part in the shorter charge time. Then keeping the pack within an optimal temperature range allows for more efficient discharge. It also helps in extreme heat, but a real winter is a far more likely climate for the car. Didn't Nissan avoid winter, or snow belt, states on their first roll out? Compared to a Leaf, the Focus should have a narrower swing in ranges through out the year.

The price is steep, but part of Ford's plans with the Focus is also offer a hybrid. Differing styling and name defeats the advantages, mainly cost, of producing a single body and chassis. Has Toyota announced pricing for the Rav4 EV yet?
    The build page has more than 2 colors to choose. With the same body and all, I don't know why they would limit it. The base seats are "innovative Earth-friendly cloth seat fabric in Focus Electric is made from 100 percent post-industrial materials - polyester fibers that would have ended up in landfills otherwise. The cushions also use a bio-based polyurethane foam derived from the oils of various plant seeds such as soybeans." That might appeal more to an early adopter than leather. I, personally, have not been a fan of most leather I've seen in cars. The newer stuff is nicer, but most of the ones I've sat on aren't much better than vinyl in the high and low ends of temperatures.

2. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    You could simply wait until the leaf was made here which I believe is 2013. I'm sure there will be some that like the ford better.

I think ford wants to gain experience with the focus EV, they don't really want to bet the company the way nissan is with the leaf. If they don't sell enough to get customers they can drop the price. They can easily ramp up production. The C-max is their test mule for conventional ice, HV, and phev.

On leather, I thought the leather on my previous lexus was excellant. I tried it in the prius and was not impressed. If its not great leather, and there are many grades, I would rather not have it.

I don't think there is pricing for the rav4 ev yet.

3. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Very underwhelming. $5k for range competitive with a Leaf. I am not sure but I think a Leaf is on its own platform and thus built from ground up for EV, whereas shoehorning that into the Focus likely compromised some things otherwise not necessary such as capacity.
    $17k actually. Tesla motors says its $50k is after tax benefit (right on their website). I read the link here as $40k before tax benefit.

4. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm waiting until 2019. ;) It was initially going to be 2012 but they have delayed it, either due to the quake or lack of sales.

5. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1 person likes this.
  6. evnow

evnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    We can speculate all we want - but only Nissan & LG/Volt who have done accelerated aging tests will really know. Without knowing it they wouldn't warranty for 8 years.

If we just stick to facts - we know that Leaf performed perfectly in the summers of the south. Much better infact, than the liquid cooled Tesla Roadster - you can read it if you search. Infact, in a recent EV competition, Leaf won because Roadster couldn't complete because of overheating. I've not heard of any LG chem equipped battery vehicle lasting through an AZ summer without liquid cooling.

Nissan's battery is a different chemistry and has less internal resistance. That is what makes them usable in hot weather without cooling.

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Emphasis mine.

Your wording seems to suggest that you consider lead batteries to be more robust. The opposite is true. While I don't know much about the lithium chemistries in the Leaf and other modern EVs, I can tell you that the lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) batteries in my Xebra are MUCH more robust in cold weather than lead. The original (lead) pack seemed to lose half its range in cold weather. The present (LiFePO4) battery pack does not show any discernable reduction in capacity in cold weather.

Thus your experience with lead batteries cannot be extrapolated to lithium batteries.

The Tesla, BTW, both heats and cools the pack, as needed, because it's older style li-ion batteries are more affected by temperature than the newer styles.

8. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The warranty only covers defects. Nissan specifically excludes degradation due to aging from its warranty. No EV maker is giving a warranty guaranteeing any specific battery capacity or range at any specific vehicle age. E.g. 80% battery capacity after 7 years. That's about what most of them say they expect. But nobody is giving a warranty.

If you can show that reduced range is due to a DEFECT in materials or workmanship, that's another matter.

Accelerated aging tests are all well and good, but until there is real-life experience, we will not know. Which is probably why they are NOT guaranteeing that.

9. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Leaf battery could cost £19k | News | Auto Express

10. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Lithium is expensive and not ready for the mass market prime time.

I am concern about the price of C-Max Energi plugin.

11. evnow

evnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
  12. evnow

evnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    FUD.

Me too. Hopefully, Ford is more serious about Energi (what with it being their own design, instead of Magna's) than they are being with FFE.

13. evnow

evnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    But they have talked about how much to expect (in the press) after 5 or 8 years. Also, once the battery goes to 80% or so, the degradation accelerates - so they have to be sure about how the battery behaves to warranty for 8 years.

14. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oh my gosh, I don't think I've seen a site so badly designed as the Nissan Leaf's one in a very long time. I swear I read a while back on it that Nissan predicts 80% capacity after five years (found it: http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/refgh0v/og/Leaf/2011-Nissan-Leaf.pdf), but navigating through that nissan leaf site now I have no idea what I'm doing, it's a complete catastrophe of bubbles and no obvious hierarchy, a real mess.

More links I'm seeing now say 5-10 years expected life for battery.

Ah, and finally here is the warranty for the battery:
    http://nissan-leaf.net/2010/11/16/follow-up-nissan-leaf-battery-warranty/

So basically, unless you have some glaring fault with the battery, your expected loss of capacity isn't covered. Therefore we can assume that 5-10 years after purchase you'll need a new battery for the car to prevent it being a paper weight, and you'll pay for that with your own money.

And the official booklet
    http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/images/c/c3/2011-leaf-warranty-booklet.pdf

Nissan hasn't said what gradual capacity loss is, that I can find, but they are certainly not appearing to replace or repair a battery that is aging as one would expect, and that includes no prorated replacement or anything, either.

I wonder how it will impact resale of off-lease Leafs, as the buyer knows they have 2-7 years in expected life and they're likely already going to be seeing less range than a new Leaf even the first day they buy it.

15. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I actually believe them on battery life. But they give no promise. Just an "expectation."

Yep. I think the web site was designed by the same incompetent morons who ran the completely screwed-up ordering process which finally drove me away from Nissan.

Actually, we cannot assume anything. There is no guarantee, so any expense is the responsibility of the owner. (One reason many people leased rather than buying, and some walked away altogether.) But the battery could last longer or shorter than "expected."

Think of it as analogous to a transmission replacement at the end of 8 or 10 years. And batteries will cost less by then. Tesla has a program for the Roadster wherein $12,000 today gets you a brand new battery pack installed in 7 years. And the Tesla pack has 2.5 times the range. I'd guess $4,000 for a new Leaf pack in 8 years from now. Not all that bad to bring the car back to its full range. And there might be the option to spend $8,000 and get double the original range, depending on advances in batteries.

This is another unknown, and part of being a pioneer. But see my comment above. It may not cost all that much to restore the car to its original range or more.

Note also that if gas is $25 per gallon in a decade, any EV will be worth a lot more.

16. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    The Volt warranty covers capacity degradation that exceeds 30% at the end of 8 years or 100,000 miles and says that capacity is expected to be reduced at that point between 10-30% depending upon use.

Beginning with model year 2013 (Summer 2012) the cars sold in states that follow the California emissions law will get their battery warranty extended to 10 years or 150,000 miles. There is no word yet on what the warranted capacity degradation will be for that extended coverage.

See page 14 for the Voltec warranty overview in the following Chevrolet warranty brochure:

http://www.chevrolet.com/assets/pdf/en/overview/2k12chev_lim_wm.pdf

17. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The CA emission law only applies to ICE or Hybrid or EREV, not for BEV because BEV has no tail pipe emission.

18. plug-it-in

plug-it-in Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I think we will see a point of competition over battery warranties between manufactureres of ecars, similar to overall initial "bumper to bumper" warranties today. The more ecars we have on dealership floors the better.

I would like to see a good detailed side-by-side comparison between the Leaf, eFocus and the iMiev. Price, tech specs, warranties ..... included.

19. evnow

evnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    Ford says it will produce cars based on orders. So may be no FFEs on dealership floors.

I've a Leaf vs FFE. But only the known differences.

[​IMG]

20. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If Leaf SL is capable of quick charge, wouldn't the charger be 6.6kW? You have it as No for both SV and SL.